Author Topic: New Triangle Arsenal!!  (Read 547 times)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
New Triangle Arsenal!!
« on: March 03, 2023, 03:53:00 PM »
While working through some of the backlog of photos I have and entering them into the NON-/26\ Serial/Arsenal Data Collection Thread, I came across the following arsenal stamp and quickly realized I have nowhere to file it because I had never seen one before:

The stamping is poor, so unfortunately I can't really say what it is with much certainty.  It may be a /015x\ or more likely a /016x\.  I honestly see /0162\, but there is an odd horizontal line in the '6" that gives me pause.  Probably need another example or two to be 100% certain.

From my limited search, I haven't found this stamp anywhere else (Howie's old lists definitely do not have this one). 

Full suite of photos from the auction that I have of this carbine:

At any rate, just wanted to hear opinions & discussion. 

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: New Triangle Arsenal!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 06:07:51 PM »
Only stamp on file even close to it is 0408. Here are my thoughts on what it may be; 0102, 0152, 0162, 0182, or maybe 01662 (see below)

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 06:25:48 PM »
Could be GG, lots of artifacts in the blown up photo that may or may not be there.  That last character could even be an 8 like in 0408 as well. 

Looking at the photo with the full S/N in the receiver, I just noticed that it was stamped 23 and then overstamped with a '4'. 

Likely a receiver from year 23 (1978) that was already stamped and ready to be built, but not actually built & stamped with a S/N until very early year 24 (1979)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 08:17:35 PM »
Given how low the SN is it is very possible. Left over from '78 and re-issued to be a '79. Makes you wonder if that is what happened to the arsenal stamp as well. Poorly scrubbed and re-stamped (also poorly) to a different arsenal number. Maybe started out as an 0408 then sent elsewhere and changed to 0130A. That could be a possibility. Those 2 arsenals over-layed could account for the faint odd indents.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 11:55:44 PM »
Might the threaded barrel be a clue?

Are there any arsenals that began threaded barrel production AFTER the introduction of the pinned barrel Tye56?

Possibly this could be an updated version of the /156\ arsenal stamp?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 12:20:03 PM »
When they picked production back up at /26\ they still used threaded barrels didn't they???

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 01:39:37 PM »
When they picked production back up at /26\ they still used threaded barrels didn't they???

Yes.

A handful of other arsenals also made the threaded barrel variant until the end of military production in 1984.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 06:17:55 PM »
Interesting  :o thumb1

Well, we know there are at least 5 of them out there somewhere in the world  rofl