Author Topic: Ammo Pouch  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Ammo Pouch
« on: April 02, 2020, 02:54:01 PM »
A few years back, the brother of a good friend of mine bought an older house in North Dakota.

He found a box in the attic with "some old stuff and a Nazi flag" in it.
He mentioned this while talking to my friend, saying that he was thinking of burning it. My friend asked him to hold off while he talked to me about it.

I advised him to box it up and send it down here and I'd go through it and make him an offer if it was real.
I was pretty disappointed to find that a rodent had made a nest it the flag. Too bad too, because the colors were vibrant. It had likely been in that attic since the war.

But, there was also a leather German ammo pouch and an American marksmanship medal, both in great shape.
While going over the pouch, I found 2 names. Hitterberg is written with a very fine point, and to me appears to have been written by a German.
The second name, Pladson, looks like my Dads handwriting. In the same hand is Cherbourg, June 28 44. Pladson is also written inside one of the flaps.
My friend said that he played high school baseball with a guy named Pladson. The good thing about small towns is that everybody knows everybody, and it didn't take my friend 15 minutes to locate and call his former team mate. Sure enough, this guys grandfather was a WWII vet. I decided to box the stuff up and sent it back to North Dakota.

All that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Yesterday, my friend comes over for a visit. Seems that the family of the vet would like me to have the pouch as a gift as they thought I would appreciate it more. They have the medal in a small shadowbox with a photo of the vet.

So.....all that to say that I have a really cool ammo pouch that is in really good shape. And I have some history to go with it.rown pepple grain leather. Clearly marked Kroymann & Co - 1939 - Hamburg26
It also has a very clear eagle with swastika over the letter M.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
Re: Ammo Pouch
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »
Neat!   thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »
cool story, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 05:46:01 PM »
Great story! Sounds like a possible Kriegsmarine ammunition pouch with the eagle M.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 06:06:04 PM »
Great story! Sounds like a possible Kriegsmarine ammunition pouch with the eagle M.

Certainly possible given the location.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7