Surplus only (any)
1 (14.3%)
Hand loads only
0 (0%)
Don't care as long as it goes bang!!!
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: May 23, 2017, 07:37:28 PM

Author Topic: Favorite Ammo For Your SKS?  (Read 16571 times)

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Favorite Ammo For Your SKS?
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
Not considering surplus 7.62x39 ammo, which is your preferred ammo for shooting in your SKS rifle?  Consider in the question, plinking, target shooting, defense, and hunting ammo please!  Thanks!

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Favorite Ammo For Your SKS?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »
In my experience.....they are all pretty much the same, without specialized equipment to decipher, it's hard to tell them apart. for paper hunting and beer can nazis, Silver Bear is almost like Golden Bear which is like Brown Bear, which is almost like Wolf and Wolf WPA or Wolf Classic or Barnaul, which is a carbon copy of Tula and RAS ammo. To me, it's all in how much you want to clean, cause it's so close in performance.

If I'm going for accuracy.. M67 or Golden Tiger thumb1 for Hunting, my 45-70 or 338 Win Mag, a .30-30 or .243 or .308, defense...12 gauge and .357 Sig.

I do have a box or 2 of Remington green box x39 ammo and a few boxes of Hornady Zombie-Max and SST...never shot a round out of any of those boxes. Geeze....I can shoot my .30-30 cheaper with Leverevolution and do exactly the same thing, only more accurately.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:14:37 PM »
In my experience.....they are all pretty much the same, without specialized equipment to decipher, it's hard to tell them apart. for paper hunting and beer can nazis, Silver Bear is almost like Golden Bear which is like Brown Bear, which is almost like Wolf and Wolf WPA or Wolf Classic or Barnaul, which is a carbon copy of Tula and RAS ammo. To me, it's all in how much you want to clean, cause it's so close in performance.

If I'm going for accuracy.. M67 or Golden Tiger thumb1 for Hunting, my 45-70 or 338 Win Mag, a .30-30 or .243 or .308, defense...12 gauge and .357 Sig.
I do have a box or 2 of Remington green box x39 ammo and a few boxes of Hornady Zombie-Max and SST...never shot a round out of any of those boxes. Geeze....I can shoot my .30-30 cheaper with Leverevolution and do exactly the same thing, only more accurately.

I hear you greasemoneky but I am only wanting to consider SKS and other 7.62x39 ammo here.  No other calibers please!  This is a thread about favorite 7.62x39 ammo and not which caliber is the "best" for what ever!   :P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:19:47 PM by spongemonkey »

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »
Ain't gotta be snooty  :)

In my opinion.....the absolute best x39 ammunition would be x39 Lapua, but it's big $$$$ when one finds it, Golden Tiger would be next(since I also cant have military stuff either :))... then all that mass produced commie stuffs, the Bears, the Wolfs, and Bear and Wolf wannabes.

I wouldn't hunt with one, wouldn't use one in a match, nor would I run to get one in a home invasion, so I got no opinion there. The high dollar green box Remington and Hornady stuff will stay in their boxes until I have absolutely no x39 rounds left in the house to fire.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
Ain't gotta be snooty  :)

In my opinion.....the absolute best x39 ammunition would be x39 Lapua, but it's big $$$$ when one finds it, Golden Tiger would be next(since I also cant have military stuff either :))... then all that mass produced commie stuffs, the Bears, the Wolfs, and Bear and Wolf wannabes.

I wouldn't hunt with one, wouldn't use one in a match, nor would I run to get one in a home invasion, so I got no opinion there. The high dollar green box Remington and Hornady stuff will stay in their boxes until I have absolutely no x39 rounds left in the house to fire.

:P
Not trying to be snooty or anything.  Maybe just you have been exposed to a bit too much female human rain?   :o   rofl   :P

Talking about Tula, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear, Golden Bear, Brown Bear, Wolf, Winchester, Hornady and other ammo.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
Talking about Tula, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear, Golden Bear, Brown Bear, Wolf, Winchester, Hornady and other ammo.

And S&B, Fiocchi, Double Tap, Cor-Bon, Federal, MFS, PMC, UMC, Norinco, Russian RAS and Ukranian RAS, maybe Olympic branded"if you can find a box"  etc.

Uhhmmm kay... lets try what ever is cheapest for 200, Alex.  chuckles1  None are match grade, with the exception of a brand of Lapua. "Most" are not really a quality hunting round having a soft nose copper coated steel jacket or hollow point. They all go bang, most are very equal in ballistics, the bullets on Russian made ammo seem all the same, the biggest difference is the cases, poly coated, lacquered, brass or whatever. Maybe there is some difference in the powders, some are a little more cleaner burning, the 'ol black box Wolf stuff looked like someone spilled copier toner in the action.

I have tried a few boxes of Fiocchi, UMC and S&B, only difference I saw was it was somewhat cleaner than most of the Russian ammos, but cost more. Would I buy it again, probably not unless maybe, it was equal in price to Wolf or Bear ammo. The UMC was or seemed a little weaker of those 3, this is subjective, but American ammo is usually loaded a little weaker than European stuff. I got ahold of some 154 grain Wolf once.. the particular rifle, a Chinese I had that day, was not happy with it, it was more of a shot gun pattern. 

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »
I only shoot surplus, sorry.
I do have a couple of boxes of soft tip just in case i ever did go hunting, i think ones MFS and maybe American Eagle. 
The fun of the sks is its cheap to shoot.  If you buy regular ammo, then its the same price as anything else to shoot.
But i am a certified cheap ass.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:22:27 PM »
I hear you Grease.  Not considering accuracy here.  Just looking for what others like in their sks rifle.  What are they using in their sks for general plinking, target, self defense and hog harvesting.  I have "heard" that this caliber is a decent hog harvester.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 03:52:49 PM »
Not considering accuracy here.   I have "heard" that this caliber is a decent hog harvester.

Considering it is "roughly" a ballistic equal to the .30-30.. it would work fine on hogs inside ethical and realistic x39/.30-30 cartridge ranges. In my area it is fairly common to see a x39 white tail hunting, but usually it is a scoped Cz or Zastava bolt action, and I have even seen an H&R Handi-Rifle in x39 in the woods, 99.9% of the time, the hunter is using custom worked reloads with quality expanding bullets like the PDX or bonded type bullets.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »
  I have "heard" that this caliber is a decent hog harvester.

Considering it is "roughly" a ballistic equal to the .30-30.. it would work fine on hogs inside ethical and realistic x39/.30-30 cartridge ranges. In my area it is fairly common to see a x39 white tail hunting, but usually it is a scoped Cz or Zastava bolt action, and I have even seen an H&R Handi-Rifle in x39 in the woods, 99.9% of the time, the hunter is using custom worked reloads with quality expanding bullets like the PDX or bonded type bullets.

Ok, thanks!  Duly noted info.  Thats why I am asking.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »
And...if considering a x39 for hunting.... you had better consider accuracy... accuracy in my book, is crucial for hunting, I imagine its really important in a wild pig hunt, cause a white tail ain't gonna chase your ass through the woods and gore ya, an 'ol black bear might. I am a firm believer in ethical kills. I've had to put down a few that wandered on to my property with an arrow in the ass or gut shot bat1..  This is why they choose bolt actions here, with worked custom loads, they have the final control of their accuracy for ethical clean kills.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
And...if considering a x39 for hunting.... you had better consider accuracy... accuracy in my book, is crucial for hunting, I imagine its really important in a wild pig hunt, cause a white tail ain't gonna chase your ass through the woods and gore ya, an 'ol black bear might. I am a firm believer in ethical kills. I've had to put down a few that wandered on to my property with an arrow in the ass or gut shot bat1..  This is why they choose bolt actions here, with worked custom loads, they have the final control of their accuracy for ethical clean kills.

Also duly noted.  Of course if the hog is trapped in a cage trap, they will not be chasing anyone.   ;)  But then again, if they are trapped in a cage trap, a 22mag to the head would do the trick!   ;)

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »
Also duly noted.  Of course if the hog is trapped in a cage trap, they will not be chasing anyone.   ;)  But then again, if they are trapped in a cage trap, a 22mag to the head would do the trick!   ;)

doh1 Shooting fish in a barrel.. chuckles1 you probably don't even need a 22mag. I've dropped sheep and even bulls for butcher in a neck gate with a .22 short behind the ear.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »

doh1 Shooting fish in a barrel.. chuckles1 you probably don't even need a 22mag. I've dropped sheep and even bulls for butcher in a neck gate with a .22 short behind the ear.

I hear you.  In my area the wildlife and fisheries department agents are "begging" people to trap and dispose of wild hogs since we are so over run by them.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »
We have coyotes.. open season year round, kill'em all you want. Local county office used to offer county residents 75 bucks, then they dropped it to 50 bucks reward per head.. then they stopped that real bounty quick like, cost them...errr... me way to much in taxes. rofl But, hey it paid for my .22-250  thumb1  rofl2 

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 05:02:52 PM »
I have seen some of my buds bag up to 6 wild hogs a day.  The agency here isnt offering any bounties on them but my buds dont care.  They kill them, field dress them and turn the carcasses into food!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program of "what 7.62x39 ammo do you prefer to shoot in your sks".   ;)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »
I've had almost 20 SKSs now, and shoot every one of them (except the east german and the Soviet-sino).

I have used Tula, Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Golden Tiger, Norinco, and Ulyanovsk Russian ammo.

I shoot off the bench, so my shooting is very repeatable. I have not seen any considerable variance between all those brands to say any one shoots more accurate than the others. Group locations are sometimes different (from varying brand velocities), but none have given me any tighter groups than any of the others.

Just my experience.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »
I repeat again, not asking about accurracy, just asking about what sks owners prefer to shoot through their sks rifle.  Golden Tiger, Gold Bear, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Wolf, Tula, Winchester, or other modern ammo?  Why is this question so difficult to answer for so many? 

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 06:37:37 PM »
I repeat again, not asking about accurracy, just asking about what sks owners prefer to shoot through their sks rifle.  Golden Tiger, Gold Bear, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Wolf, Tula, Winchester, or other modern ammo?  Why is this question so difficult to answer for so many?

Not sure why the attitude.....   We keep answering your question....we're just stating our observations as well.

Exactly what "format" would you like our answers in??

Maybe you should start a new thread in poll format.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »
Probably.....because it's akin to asking which bottled water tastes the best. :) Basically in my eyes, your asking for a brand name favorite. Because they, all those mentioned brands are just so similar and close in design, with the exception of true blue U.S. made ammo, there is not enough real difference between them to pick one, other than the brand name on the box. I have had bad rounds out of all the ones I've tried, a popped primer, stuck case, ripped case head, a fail to fire or squib..

There will typically be bigger variances between specific rifles shooting said xxxx made round than in the actual ammo it's self. So what works great in in one, may or may not work great in another.

My 5 basic rules of all modern made commie ammo..

#1 it's cheap
#2 it goes bang
#3 it's "usually" not corrosive
#4 it is not match grade
#5 if the SHTF, it's a go to goodness 

and occasionally
#6 it's high speed mass produced in countries with questionable or very little quality control.

Another way to think about it.. If I had 500 rounds of Wolf and say 500 rounds of Russian RAS ammo, and I removed the headstamps, sealer and swapped all the exterior boxes randomly and let you shoot all 1000 rounds all willy nilly, off hand, bench, prone your choice, could you tell me which was which or which the boxes were swapped and which was the best.