Author Topic: Hansen Cartridge Company 123gr Posi-feed SP aka YUGO brass case  (Read 9441 times)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Hansen Cartridge Company 123gr Posi-feed SP aka YUGO brass case
« on: October 22, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »
It pays to get to know your LGS's...Owner told me to hang around 1 day cuz he had a fella bringing in some ammo I would be interested in. It didn't even land on his shelves...snagged it for $5 a box. 6 boxes of Hansen Cartridge Company 123gr Posi-Feed sp brass cased, boxer primed and made in Yugo with the IK headstamp. Igman Kronjic. Looks to be some good hunting ammo to stash back. Imported in the '80s.

Any1 have any experience with this? Good/bad?

Here it is compared to years '77-'82. '77-'79 has the purple/reddish sealant then '80-'82 has the same orange sealant. Compare the IK Hansen/YUGO primer with the NK YUGO...The Hansen has the Flat boxer primer and the Regular YUGO has the rounded Berdan corrosive primer. Now if I ever get around to shooting this...I'm still gonna treat it as corrosive just to be on the safe side. Their both sealed orange....so... If any 1 has any info on this as always it will be appreciated.

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Hansen Cartridge Company 123gr Posi-feed SP aka YUGO brass case
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 02:46:12 PM »
Never seen it...  But if its boxer, go shoot it because I need the casings.   :P

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »
I have no experience with it. I have some Igman M67 but I haven't shot any yet  ???   Regardless, boxer primed, brass case ammo for $0.25 per round sounds great!  thumb1

I think it's hilarious that they call it Russian ammo on the cover and then on the side say Made in Yugoslavia. I guess if the original package/crate had any Cyrillic letters, then it's Russian  rofl

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 03:05:30 PM »
LC since I don't reload ( as of now and....not planning on it...Yet) Your on man, I'll keep you in mind.  thumb1

Phos, I ran across a fella at a flea market selling all kinds of old ammo and every box of 7.62x39 I found ( USA made or surplus) was marked as 7.62x39 Russian. Wish I could remember the name, It was yellow/black boxes mostly and looked to be from the '50s-'60s.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:45:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Russian part is a holdover of the 7.62x39 "Russian" nomenclature, designating that the design of the round originated in Russia.  My older reloading books all have this nomenclature on the round too and a set of old Lee dies I've got also have the "Russian" portion in the title block.

Back in the 60's - 80's 7.62x39 wasn't a very popular round, there were very few arms in the civilian market (if any, bringbacks are all I can think of at the moment) to shoot it.  I'd imagine the companies wanted to more easily differentiate it from a much more common 7.62 x 51 NATO round by adding a very distinct descriptor in case the numbers were glossed over by the customer.

Neat ammo Hippie! thumb1  I't would be interesting if we could pinpoint exactly when this stuff was imported into the states.  Couldn't have been before Tito died in '80 I'd think, and then the whole Balkan wars of the early 90's would have put a serious hurt on arms exports out of former Yugoslavian states too. 

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 05:25:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Russian part is a holdover of the 7.62x39 "Russian" nomenclature, designating that the design of the round originated in Russia. 
Interesting, I never knew that  think1  :)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 06:01:08 PM »
Laugh Jon. I don't know if you're being facetious or sincere with the think1

I'll snap a few photos of my dies and my Lee book!  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 06:32:14 PM »
The term "Russian" after the caliber may kind of be a misnomer, alot of people incorrectly call and label the 7.62x54mmR as in 7.62x54mm Russian, when it's 7.62x54mm "RIMMED". bat1   Rimmed like a 7.7×56mmR or a .303 British or a 7.62x51mmR or just call it what it is, a .30-30 WCF, it's rimmed, not Russian.  chuckles1 I guess one could say, it's a 7.62x54mmRR, rimmed Russian, it's technically a Russian cartridge, thats rimmed. Then lets throw in a .44 S&W Russian for a little extra confusion.  chuckles1 thumb1

Hansen was a fairly common ammo around '84-'88 or somewhere in that time frame, my old man still has a mess of it kicking around, stuff like .30-06, .308 and 7mm Mauser, even a box or two of .22lr, some of the boxes also say posifeed. Like Sampson branded ammo from somewhere in about the same time frame, if my feeble memory is right, some of that was reboxed I.M.I. stuff.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
Laugh Jon. I don't know if you're being facetious or sincere with the think1

I'll snap a few photos of my dies and my Lee book!  thumb1

rofl I was actually being sincere, for a change.  I truly didn't know that.  I'm still a relative noob with a bit less than 3 years of firearms experience, so gaps in my knowledge crop up with regularity  :o  chuckles1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 07:16:51 PM »
Yeah..  I think my reloading data states 'russian' after the caliber aswell. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:14:58 PM »
Yeah..  I think my reloading data states 'russian' after the caliber aswell.

Well it ain't 7.62x39 Springfield, Mauser, Ackley Improved, Winchester Magnum, WCF, Long Rifle, Swede, Swiss, French, Sharps, Tokarev, Luger, Rimmed, Carcano, Kurtz, T-Rex, Weatherby, Long Colt, Smith and Wesson, Colt, Krag, NATO, Government, British, Jap, Parabellum, Marlin..........

So why not call it Russian?     It's Mother Russia's baby.. rofl2

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »
My Lee book says 'Russian'

Hornady likes 'M43'

And Lyman likes 'Russian' as well

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 11:51:42 PM »
Cool reading RM  thumb1 The Hornady book states the 7.62x39 is/was the current military round of China and Finland. Didn't know that about Finland.

rofl I was actually being sincere, for a change.  I truly didn't know that.  I'm still a relative noob with a bit less than 3 years of firearms experience, so gaps in my knowledge crop up with regularity  :o  chuckles1

Could have fooled me Phos....You must be a quick learner  thumb1

Along with what GM was saying, I've seen the 7.62x38r simply referred to as the 7.62 Nagant.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 09:34:10 AM »
Cool reading RM  thumb1 The Hornady book states the 7.62x39 is/was the current military round of China and Finland. Didn't know that about Finland.
Thanks AH.

I guess that would be due to the Valmet family of AK clones. The Finns have a history of adopting the cartridge and firearms of their most likely adversary.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 01:47:12 PM »
The Valmet M76   drool2 , one of the holy grails to an AK collector. There were two caliber choices, 5.56 and x39.  And if you see Laupa x39 ammo, grab it, it's become collectable as well, toted as about as good as you can get for mass production ammo.

I think Finland has started to phase out the x39 as of recently, they have been very slow to adopt the 5.56Nato.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »
I had some Hansen in .30-'06 several years ago but I haven't seen any lately. I had forgotten about it until yall brought it up here.