Author Topic: Golden Tiger x39 about to hit SG Ammo  (Read 13829 times)

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
Golden Tiger x39 about to hit SG Ammo
« on: May 16, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »
From SGAmmo:

READ THIS - PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SYSTEM MUST SEND ALL EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS BEFORE THE PRODUCT POSTS AS AVAILABLE, IT COULD BE 1 HOUR WAIT OR SO BEFORE THE GOODS GET ONLINE FROM WHEN YOU GET THIS MESSAGE. I HAVE 3000 CASES TOTAL COMING IN AND ONLY THE FIRST 1000 ARE POSTING TODAY, SO IF YOU MISS OUT THERE WILL BE A SECOND CHANCE. IF THE INVENTORY DOES NOT APPEAR ONLINE WHEN YOU GET THIS EMAIL CHECK BACK IN 10 OR 15 MINUTES

The email hit my inbox about 30 minutes before I posted this, so it probably hasn't gone up as available yet.

Here's the link: http://www.sgammo.com/product/golden-tiger/1000-round-case-762x39-fmj-bt-golden-tiger-124-grain-russian-ammo

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
Re: Golden Tiger x39 about to hit SG Ammo
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »
SGammo has 7.62x39 FMJ BT Golden Tiger 124 grain now.  I just bought some.

READ THIS - PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SYSTEM MUST SEND ALL EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS BEFORE THE PRODUCT POSTS AS AVAILABLE, IT COULD BE 1 HOUR WAIT OR SO BEFORE THE GOODS GET ONLINE FROM WHEN YOU GET THIS MESSAGE. I HAVE 3000 CASES TOTAL COMING IN AND ONLY THE FIRST 1000 ARE POSTING TODAY, SO IF YOU MISS OUT THERE WILL BE A SECOND CHANCE. IF THE INVENTORY DOES NOT APPEAR ONLINE WHEN YOU GET THIS EMAIL CHECK BACK IN 10 OR 15 MINUTES

This message is in response to your request to be notified when 1000 round case - 7.62x39 FMJ BT Golden Tiger 124 grain Russian Ammo is back in stock. It can now be purchsed from SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated Ammo Sales, Stillwater OK

Offline Redstate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:02:35 PM »
Thanks for the link, scarymike23

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 09:07:45 PM »
Thanks for the link, scarymike23

That's like thanking a crack dealer RS! 

Mike is the local 'pusher' of GT as well as anything Mosin Nagant!  whistle12

In this case, I'll have to side with him though. GT has been impossible to get since 100 cases popped up back in November.  They thought the next shipment would be in by March, but it looks like they were a couple months late. Even at $0.25 per round, this GT is still a pretty decent deal.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:35:24 AM »
Supposedly, the 500 round lots will be available some time today. I had enough "spare cash" for 1500 rounds, but they won't have both together...  cry1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 12:28:38 PM »
From what I have seen Golden Tiger costs only a few cents more per round (8-9 cents) than what I have been using (WPA). I have zero experience with GT, but from comments I have read here and reviews I have seen elsewhere it appears it's of better quality. Obviously this accounts for it being hard to get at times, people are snapping it up as soon as it hits the shelves! However I was just checking at gunbot.net and did not see any Golden Tiger listed, but I haven't looked at any of the other clearance sites.

I know most of you think highly of GT, maybe I should consider putting some away.

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »
They sold 1000 cases in an hour when it was finally listed.  I happened to be shopping for ammo and saw it was available.  I normally miss out on GT sales because it goes so fast.  I bought a case, and then thought I should go back and get more, but they were sold out when I last checked.

I think a lot of people see it as a good SHTF storage ammo, so some reported buying the maximum allowed 20 cases at once. 

With prices swinging up and down, it is hard to make a definitive statement as to whether you "should" buy some or not.   GT has a large fan base, and I don't know if it is REALLY that much better than anything else.  However, most will tell you it is awesome and you should get some.   It is good ammo.  I do like it and buy some whenever I find it in stock.  YMMV

ADDED THOUGHT:  SG Ammo even posted a video on YouTube to show the pallets and that they really were GT.  And a lot of people were swooning.  It was as if GT was a rock star.  The Elvis Presley of ammo. 

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 04:15:19 PM »
GT does have what seems to be a cult following.  Whether it is warranted or not is certainly worthy of debate.

I will say this. The GT 124 gr. boattail bullet is a totally different animal than the 124 gr. FMJ bullet on a Tula, Wolf, or Barnaul round. It's more similar to the bullet off a Yugo M67 round.  This similarity helps sell cases too as M67 is 10 to 20 cents / round more expensive and is not available in small quantities.

In the end, you've got to make up your own mind, but I personally would rather have GT than anything Tula. The quality and consistency is night and day between those two. Less so with Wolf, Barnaul, and perhaps a few of the others like Red Army Standard.

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
I agree with Running-Man.  Because it is non-corrosive, it is my preferred ammo (even over Yugo).  However, it is very difficult to obtain.  Same story as always... if I knew back then what I know now... and if I had only had the money to stock up back then.

Most of these guys who are buying 5, 10, or 20 cases at a time are going to list them on GB during the next panic, in my opinion. 

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
Running-man I would have to agree regarding the Tula. Lots of people have shot Tula with no problems but we had issues with it early on and simply chose Wolf because it was cheap, readily available, functioned flawlessly for us and is non-corrosive!

I have never tried the GT however but I am considering it. I'm just not sure it's worth the cost (for me) because it's a little more accurate than Wolf or keeps better in storage.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:31:38 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight because I've only ever shot 7.62 in Tula. But I can say I've never had an issue with the Tula to make me that eager to try something else. That's not to say something else would not be more accurate. I do love doing ammo comparison testing, and have done a ton of it with .22 ammo. However, even with Tula, I can get 4" groups open sights at 100 yards....and I honestly think that's plenty fine even for SHTF ammo.

I haven't heard anyone mention Brown Bear (laquer coated) or Silver Bear (zinc coated) steel ammo yet....how does that compare to the GT?

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 11:38:51 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight because I've only ever shot 7.62 in Tula. But I can say I've never had an issue with the Tula to make me that eager to try something else. That's not to say something else would not be more accurate. I do love doing ammo comparison testing, and have done a ton of it with .22 ammo. However, even with Tula, I can get 4" groups open sights at 100 yards....and I honestly think that's plenty fine even for SHTF ammo.

I haven't heard anyone mention Brown Bear (laquer coated) or Silver Bear (zinc coated) steel ammo yet....how does that compare to the GT?

I agree Power, 4 inch groups at 100 yards is great for SHTF or any other defensive scenario.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 12:30:03 AM »
Yeah, it functions fine in everything I've fed, never really noticed a massive dramatic increase in accuracy over Brand X or Brand Y. I've been through several cases through the years, and have two in the basement. The only two pluses I've seen, it goes bang, and the brass cases bring a hair more at the scrap yard than plain steel cases do. thumb1

And I could care less if it's non corrosive, I ain't skeerd thumb1 

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 01:36:03 AM »
Not everyone can clean the weapon right after shooting.  I had some bad experiences with corrosive ammo due to work obligations, so it is a consideration for some, but not all, shooters.   

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 02:05:05 AM »
Just  me, if I know I aint gonna have time to clean it, I’m not gonna take the time to dirty it. But, at the same time, I've shot corrosive for close to 20 years, and not once have I had a barrel fall off, not once, has a gas piston seized, not once, has a bolt turned to dust, not once, have I found rust. I can not imagine firing any number of rounds of any ammo and just chucking it in a closet, safe what have you. You invite in the "H" factor, or the "h"uman factor, the "oh, I'll clean it tomorrow", and suddenly tomorrow turns in to a week, a month. Yes, I know it comes out sounding like a dick, but, it is what it is, an excuse. And, yes, I know all too well what it's like to have a drop what your doing and go to work job. thumb1

Again, it's just ramblings from someone who doesn't put any value on the corrosive/non corrosive bit.  Too each their own, sorry I even said anything thumb1

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 03:38:25 AM »
I freak out if I don't clean mine right away and then notice every little speck and blame it on the ammo and "I should have told them I was sick" or whatever.  I end up hating work that night when it happens.  Didn't mean to sound annoyed, but I will take every advantage I can get.  Sorry.

One thing I didn't mention to the OP is that the price of M67 is FAR higher than the GT and they are both good stuff.  The GT is sold even cheaper than Silver Bear.  I think that is another reason why the GT goes so fast, Silver Bear sells, and the M67 doesn't sell out. 

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »
Again, just my opinion.. I've bought and still buy the M67 stuff for long term storage, shove it up under the basement steps, given the known history, durability and known lifespan of corrosive primers. I've had way more non corrosive primer issues than corrosive, fails to fire, popped primers, hang fires, strangely, never had a slam fire, yet. Like I said, corrosive or non corrosive, the cheapest, lowest price wins just to hunt paper, beer cans, maybe a laptop or retard smart phone. It ain't like these rifles are uber duber blow a gnats azz off at 800 yards accurate anyway, if it hit the target, I'm happy chuckles1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 03:11:47 PM »
It ain't like these rifles are uber duber blow a gnats azz off at 800 yards accurate anyway, if it hit the target, I'm happy chuckles1

Me too Greasemonkey! I'm happy if I just hit the target frame anymore...anywhere near the X ring and I'm happy as a tornado in a trailer park. As I understand it, one of the selling points of Golden Tiger is the sealant that is supposed to protect it in long-term storage. For me this is a concern and something to consider. But at 100 yrds all our carbines will put 10 Wolf rounds through a steel plate measuring 8" X 21" so accuracy isn't a consideration.

A question for those of you that have it...isn't the M67 the rounds that come in the stripper clips that are so good?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »
Me too Greasemonkey! I'm happy if I just hit the target frame anymore...anywhere near the X ring and I'm happy as a tornado in a trailer park. As I understand it, one of the selling points of Golden Tiger is the sealant that is supposed to protect it in long-term storage. For me this is a concern and something to consider. But at 100 yrds all our carbines will put 10 Wolf rounds through a steel plate measuring 8" X 21" so accuracy isn't a consideration.

A question for those of you that have it...isn't the M67 the rounds that come in the stripper clips that are so good?
Sealant is found on several ammo brands, Red Army, both Bosnian and Romanian ammo is sealed, the Ukraine made stuff I have, has no sealant.
Yes, M67 is available with strippers, and add a small drop of oil, they do work great.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
Thanks for the info GM.  thumb1