Author Topic: Straight pull SKS bolt action  (Read 4539 times)

Offline kjohn

• kjohn
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Straight pull SKS bolt action
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »
I have a rather scruffy Chinese military SKS that I made into a straight pull bolt action simply by finding the right sized  allen head screw at the Co-op next door and screwing it into the hole from the barrel to the gas piston.  Didn't thread the hole, as the screw fits the hole just right and was short enough to not stick out inside the barrel.  Cost under  50 cents.  Why?  Not for any reason other than I wanted to try.  :)
Crusty old retired RCMP, tractor salvage owner, farmer.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Straight pull SKS bolt action
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:51:48 PM »
 :o

Well alrighty then... I took a banana from Food Lion and shoved up my tail pipe. Costed me 3.99 a pound.. rofl2  I wanted to see what would happen.

I'd let you shoot my Ross or K31 straight pull if you wanted.. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:57:36 PM »
:o

Well alrighty then... I took a banana from Food Lion and shoved up my tail pipe. Costed me 3.99 a pound.. rofl2  I wanted to see what would happen.

I'd let you shoot my Ross or K31 straight pull if you wanted.. thumb1

$3.99 per lb for bananas?!  :o Someone’s making bank banana time

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »
I have a rather scruffy Chinese military SKS that I made into a straight pull bolt action simply by finding the right sized  allen head screw at the Co-op next door and screwing it into the hole from the barrel to the gas piston.  Didn't thread the hole, as the screw fits the hole just right and was short enough to not stick out inside the barrel.  Cost under  50 cents.  Why?  Not for any reason other than I wanted to try.  :)

The empirical approach to understanding gas system function in a semiautomatic. No gas, no function  :))

Offline jaroslav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 08:06:03 PM »

Wouldn't that be risky? No threading, no weld?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:22:36 PM »
Just take out the piston.    :P

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
Just take out the piston.    :P
That's what I was thinking...but doesn't it snort fire/smoke out of the gas tube vent holes?  I suppose you could always leave the piston in place and just use an NC Star gas tube...those suckers don't hold enough pressure to move the piston anyway....and it leaks further away from your hand.  chuckles1

I wonder how much velocity could be gained by not bleeding off that pressure. In theory, shouldn't it tighten the groups a bit at normal ranges a bit? 

It would be interesting to tap the inside of a gas block, so you could switch between straight pull and semi by installing or removing a plug.  If anyone wants to try doing that and feels so inclined...I will donate a couple of Russian gas blocks for the cause...it would be cool to see if it can be done while keeping it outwardly appearing intact...if the plug can be slotted for a flathead, perhaps the plug and an AK screwdriver in the cleaning kit for the ability to switch...'in the field'.

This could actually be considered applied research into what could be done to keep our beloved SKSs should they ban semi autos someday. Perhaps if we get ahead of them, and come up with a way to not totally butcher them as we have seen done by Canafornia type governments we might be better off?  At the same time, my gas blocks will skyrocket in value.  :P

Perhaps I should shut up and not give them any ideas?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »

I wonder how much velocity could be gained by not bleeding off that pressure. In theory, shouldn't it tighten the groups a bit at normal ranges a bit? 

A Yugoslavian m59/66 with a gas shutoff valve would give you close to the same result....shut off the gas and bazinga.... it becomes a single shot "straight pull" SKS.

Or just get a CZ 527, Zastava M85 or a Norinco JW-103, all in 7.62x39......and all in 21 inch barrel "bolt action" chuckles1

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »

A Yugoslavian m59/66 with a gas shutoff valve would give you close to the same result....shut off the gas and bazinga.... it becomes a single shot "straight pull" SKS.

I thought about that, my first shot with a Yugo was just that. Silly valve. banghead1
Those valves are a weak link IMO, and seem to be troublesome for folks...they are also the leading firearm in office supply crime as a result.  rofl

I was just thinking it would be neat to alter a gas block so it would outwardly look totally normal...and all the parts/tools could be kept in place for either option. Tapping it on the gun would be a challenge...and this idea is obviously what happens at Justin's house when he's snowed in and has a handful of loose gas blocks to ponder the future of. :)

Heck, I might just see if I have a tap that will fit...and see if I can find a plug to match. Perhaps I could sell off some of these as straight pull kits. Packaged with a pin, AK screwdrivy tool....hmmm.  It could take the rest of my life to find homes for these lil guys otherwise...at least the normal ones.  I had considered pendants or keyfobs...ceiling fan pull chains....  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 01:57:00 PM »
There is a mod to make an adjustable gas block for the PSL.. it could work for an SKS. I never did it, mine works fine. Or just use a small set screw after you thread the gas port.

I guess if I want straight pull action... the Swiss and Canadians already built me some, a couple of K-31s and a Ross rifle, so I can pull straight all day  rofl2

Seriously...........fire up that Scooby and go for a ride, listen to some Goatwhore while drifting in the snow, my Eclipse GSX would do it, I know dang good and well, a Subaru will(don't tell my mother in law), because at the rate your going, you will put out an eye or something.  rofl2 chuckles1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 11:38:19 PM »
I remember reading a post where a guy tapped something like a 1/16 NPT theead and then installed a plug into it. Worked like a champ from what I remember reading.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »
Seriously...........fire up that Scooby and go for a ride, listen to some Goatwhore while drifting in the snow, my Eclipse GSX would do it, I know dang good and well, a Subaru will(don't tell my mother in law), because at the rate your going, you will put out an eye or something.  rofl2 chuckles1

I am the family mechanic and/or all-time shotgun. I stopped driving those things when I discovered how unconstitutional the licensing is. I ride vicariously through others these days. We went to get stove parts for the new stoves...since the EPA requires they be manufactured broken....literally. It's like they mashed up Empire and Phantom Menace...and they had the pod racing on Hoth. It was flippin' nuts out there. The wife fortunately enjoys shoveling snow...and punching her Stuparu through the berms created by the snowplow jerk along the length of our property.  That silly car is good for one thing....THIS. Our mini van has a drift on it that is bigger than it is. It looks like a Transit....I hope I don't get any gigs. All of my power amps are trapped in it until spring...or as I like to think of it.... Groundhog Season

One unfortunate aspect about not driving....no Goatwhore, or Godflesh...which is what is actually in there for my tastes...I actually forgot I bought it. I am getting pretty good at telling the difference between Katy Perry and One Direction now though... :-\

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »
I remember reading a post where a guy tapped something like a 1/16 NPT theead and then installed a plug into it. Worked like a champ from what I remember reading.

Dangit!  I knew there was something I was forgetting at the hardware store last night.  I really would like to try this.  Unfortunately, I don't currently have a gun I would be willing to do it to. I have one project gun, that shouldn't be a project gun I could justify doing it to...since I already was a dunce with it years ago. But that thing finally got the Capco brake I had been looking for, and I don't think it can be removed without destroying it.  My other project guns have pesky little things I don't want to mess with...like bulbous gas blocks that are too neat to remove, even on a mixmeister.