Author Topic: SKS restoration project seeking information and advice....  (Read 3995 times)

Offline raccoonrough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
SKS restoration project seeking information and advice....
« on: March 10, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
I was recently gifted this Chinese SKS that has been seriously altered or bubba'd up!  I am in the process of restoring it, just because I cannot stand to see her in this current condition.  I never thought I would ever be restoring an SKS.......LOL.

This SKS appears to be a Chinese model, but not sure which one.  She has a matching wooden stock and some sort of black gas tube cover.  The barrel has been cut and the front sight base/spike bayonet assembly is gone. 

There was a very cheap 30 round magazine attached, but I threw that in the trash.  I had a standard 10 round magazine lying around that I installed already. 

There was also some sort of top cover installed that had a cheap pica-tinny rail.  I removed that and replaced it with one I had in my parts bin.  So neither the magazine or the top cover match any longer. 

The only markings I can find on this Chinese SKS is on the left side of the receiver.  It appears to be a serial number and a "G2"?  I have researched and believe it was made in 1967. 

Also there some import markings of Poly on the left side as well. Though they were drilled through to mount some sort of cheap side scope mount. This scope mount was gone before I got it.  I will have to find some sort of correct Chinese side rail to mount in this location to cover up the three uneven tapped holes. 

Suggestions or advice?

Thanks for any help.  More information and photos to follow as things develope.

Here is the only markings and the import stampings.

Offline raccoonrough

• Newber
Re: SKS restoration project seeking information and advice....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 02:09:00 PM »
Here are some pictures of the SKS overall at this time.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »
nice to see you restoring it back to where it should be.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:38:03 PM »
Welcome to the boards rough! 

Based on my experience, I would call this gun one of the late imports, brought in during or shortly before the commercial series of type 56's flooded the market. The 1 or 12 as the leading numerals of the S/N likely do not stand for a year code like they do in the majority of other Type 56s out there. 

The drilled receiver most undoubtebly happened after it was initially sold at retail, permanently defacing the import stamp and then covering it completely with a permanent mount like that would have landed them in pretty hot water.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:46:30 AM »
I would suggest Frontier's Big 45 pad for removing the rust without further damage...they are cheap, and I consider them to be the duct tape of the gun collector world.

Could you post a pic of the muzzle end of the barrel?  It looks to be tapered to accept a standard front sight...I think, but it's hard to see.

Prepare for a little trial and error trying to get a match on the color of a proper handguard. It's often impossible to tell what color something really is online.  Having the original stock is crucial, not so much on the handguard, (hopefully they didn't bugger up the ferrule when removing the original)...so you have a kind of easy restoration in the furniture dept.  Since the stock is already inletted for the scope base...it couldn't hurt to try find the correct one (as I think I saw you do in another post)...or one that can cover up the holes if they bother you.  A Choate mount likely would cover it up...and they are still available. Hunting down the correct base could take some patience...but you should be able to shoot her just fine in the meantime.  If the threads are still viable, perhaps just install some screws to plug the holes? Just make sure they are filed flush on the interior.

Half the battle is usually tracking down a stock that fits...which is a can of worms for even the seasoned SKS enthusiast. I also couldn't see, does it have an inlet for a bayonet?

Offline raccoonrough

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:05:37 AM »
Thanks to all for your responses. 

The wooden stock that was on it matches the serial number, so that was good.  I did locate a wooden handguard to replace the black plastic one.  I had to do some fitting and filing, but it went on easy enough.  I will post some pictures below.

The wooden stock has the cut out for a spike bayonet.  The Muzzle looks to me like it was just cut off and is not tapered.

I have also located and purchased a paratrooper spike bayonet and a russian front sight base/bayonet lugs.  So, I suppose I will cut the barrel off at 16.5", turn the end down to accept the front sight base, and then crown the muzzle?

I will take some pictures of my parts soon and post them here. 

Offline raccoonrough

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
First restoration step.........picked up a wooden gas tube.  So after some minor fitting I got rid of that black plastic one. 

Online Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »

The wooden stock that was on it matches the serial number, so that was good.  I did locate a wooden handguard to replace the black plastic one.  I had to do some fitting and filing, but it went on easy enough.  I will post some pictures below.

The wooden stock has the cut out for a spike bayonet.  The Muzzle looks to me like it was just cut off and is not tapered.

I have also located and purchased a paratrooper spike bayonet and a russian front sight base/bayonet lugs.  So, I suppose I will cut the barrel off at 16.5", turn the end down to accept the front sight base, and then crown the muzzle?

Lookin' better already!
You are likely correct about turning down the barrel and recrowning. Which also comes with the joy of getting the pin grooves just right. What is the current barrel length to the bolt face?

Offline raccoonrough

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »
The current barrel length is just over 17.5 inches.  When i cut it down and do the mods I will keep it right at 16.5 inches. 

Thanks

Lookin' better already!
You are likely correct about turning down the barrel and recrowning. Which also comes with the joy of getting the pin grooves just right. What is the current barrel length to the bolt face?

Offline raccoonrough

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
Here are some additional photos of the muzzle and parts I have now...........

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:46:52 AM by raccoonrough »

Offline raccoonrough

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »

I think as long as I keep the barrel at 16.5" in length and turn the Front sight base down close to the gas block (leaving enough of the barrel tip exposed for the bayonet to latch onto to...........the paratrooper spike bayonet should fit perfect into the bayonet cut on the stock!  Opinions?

Offline raccoonrough

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »
Also, is this small piece of wood that can be seen inletted into the side of the stock here..........is this normal?

Online Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
The little chunk of wood is a factory 'repair' that occurred during manufacture...used to fill a void likely created during milling the stock. It is a fairly common thing to see...some folks actually like it as a character thing. YMMV :)

Good thing is, it's already inletted as a paratrooper for the bayonet. The groove was widened at some point to deal with the thicker portion of the spike being what was left after cutting it down.  Since the stock is matching...that is kind of odd, as it appears to be done that way likely at the same time as it's most recent shellacking. It looks like the typical stock alteration done to the commercially imported paratroopers...or was expertly widened by bubba to look identical...which is kind of unlikely. 

I wonder if this might have started off as an 18 inch?   There isn't a lot of information on them...as they are pretty uncommon. But yours might have just had one inch sliced off to remove the shortened front sight seen here:
http://chinesesks.weebly.com/18-inch-barrel.html

That would leave me scratching my head over the bayonet inlet though...because if they intended to delete it anyway, why go to the trouble? Unless the 18 inch barreled SKSs were a result of various bans being implemented around the time of these being imported when bayonets were illegal...Since they are so uncommon, it makes you wonder if they were a small batch of half done paratroopers that ended up getting a different mod after laws passed or were threatening to pass. If barrel length was ever part of the discussion...someone might have panicked and didn't want to see their investment go up in smoke.

Another member has a few 18 inch barreled SKSs...perhaps he will see this and chime in if he sees anything similar.
It could just as easily be that whoever cut down the barrel just opted towards being overly careful on the length.

Your plan on the barrel length and placement of the front sight block is precisely how it was done before they started shortening the gas systems...usually only a small gap would exist between the gas block and the bayonet lug portion of the FSB after a paratrooper mod was done.

Online Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 12:32:12 PM »
BTW...did you really trash the detachable mag? If so...did the trash guy come already?

Offline raccoonrough

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 02:55:15 PM »
BTW...did you really trash the detachable mag? If so...did the trash guy come already?

I left it a buddys house.  I will go see if its still there, if it is..........I will mail it to you.  Let me check tomorrow. 

I will remeasure the barrel and get a correct length.  Measure from the barrel face?  Or close bolt and insert a cleaning rod?  Thats how I usually measure barrel length.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 09:42:44 PM »
It looks like the typical stock alteration done to the commercially imported paratroopers...or was expertly widened by bubba to look identical...which is kind of unlikely. 
I wonder if this might have started off as an 18 inch?   There isn't a lot of information on them...as they are pretty uncommon. But yours might have just had one inch sliced off to remove the shortened front sight seen here:
http://chinesesks.weebly.com/18-inch-barrel.html
That would leave me scratching my head over the bayonet inlet though...because if they intended to delete it anyway, why go to the trouble? 

I've got 3 Paratrooper stocks, 2 spike & 1 blade, that have had the bayo channels filled in, like a factory repair.

I picked up a rifle that Bubba hack sawed the barrel down to 18.5 inches, but at that length, it's very simple to mod the front sight base for a  refit. And at that length, there's still enough under sized barrel tip to reinstall the FSB.
I'm just guessing, could have been a knee jerk reaction to the bayo ban wars.
I've got that pre-Bubba unit, and 2 SARCO guys that I'm considering a similar fate. One of SARCO actions has pretty bad surface corrosion, so I'm going to hide it in a Shernic. PAX
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 05:37:02 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 10:34:54 PM »

I left it a buddys house.  I will go see if its still there, if it is..........I will mail it to you.  Let me check tomorrow. 

I will remeasure the barrel and get a correct length.  Measure from the barrel face?  Or close bolt and insert a cleaning rod?  Thats how I usually measure barrel length.

Well, cool...let me know.
And yeah I would measure down the barrel against the bolt face with a rod.  Unless you are in a state with cops nimroded enough to measure with a round in the chamber.  rofl2

Would have replied sooner...dang modem and router bucked the kicket yesterday mid conversation. banghead1