Author Topic: GB listings for September, 2017 - Romanian  (Read 3650 times)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
GB listings for September, 2017 - Romanian
« on: November 09, 2017, 03:15:43 PM »
I still consider the Romy to be the best value in SKSs today.  They are built like tanks, even if they trend a bit uglier then their brethren.
  • # sold: 4
  • Lowest Sale Price: $254.00
  • Avg. Sale Price: $428.50
  • Highest Sale Price: $549.99
  • As-Issued Avg. Price: $455.00
Please let me know any feedback (good or bad) to these.
If you have an objection or observation to add to anything I've listed, by all means call it out.  Let's look at it long and hard (I only look at each listing for a minute or two at most) and maybe everyone can learn a thing or two!  thumb1

-RM

Item Link | Description | # Bids | Final Price | Arsenal Condition | Current Condition | RM's Notes
  • 694375070 | Romanian SKS MINT ALL MATCHING numbers type 56 | 16 | $460.00  | As-Issued | Good | Now that's a darn nice Romy!
  • 691324126 | ROMANIAN SKS as issued | 11 | $450.00  | As-Issued | Good | I'd give this one a * if I could.  That stock looks wonky to me.  GM, what do you think?
  • 690871502 | Romanian SKS Model 56 7.62 X 39 | 24 | $549.99  | Uncertain | Uncertain | Crazy price considering the other guns this month...
  • 693409748 | Cugir Romanian Model 56 SKS 7.62x39 NO MAG *USED | 10 | $254.00  | Uncertain | Uncertain | Meh :/

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: GB listings for September, 2017 - Romanian
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »
691324126 | ROMANIAN SKS as issued | 11 | $450.00  | As-Issued | Good | I'd give this one a * if I could.  That stock looks wonky to me.  GM, what do you think?

I would say it's legit..there are a few, very few that show grain figuring like that.. It's just not the typical boring bland stock that everyone is used to seeing.

That thar is a good'en  thumb1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Garand1957

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
  • https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/6
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »
691324126 | ROMANIAN SKS as issued | 11 | $450.00  | As-Issued | Good | I'd give this one a * if I could.  That stock looks wonky to me.  GM, what do you think?

I would say it's legit..there are a few, very few that show grain figuring like that.. It's just not the typical boring bland stock that everyone is used to seeing.

The dents and scrapes have shellac/varnish down in them. Wouldn't that be indicative of being refinished ?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 01:47:54 PM »

The dents and scrapes have shellac/varnish down in them. Wouldn't that be indicative of being refinished ?

This particular one, I can not say if it was done here, refurb or importer. It was from one of the earlier import lots of Romanians. The guy I got it from had it maybe a month, maybe two after he got it from a vendor out of the box and turned around and dumped it for an Ak.. I know for a fact, he was not a wood worker, everything he made or did with wood turned into wood stove fodder. He could cut and split wood like a mother....but, his idea of wood working came out of an IKEA box. And.... I sure ain't gonna waste time nor money on refinishing stocks.. I could use both looking for another firearm or ammo. chuckles1

They, the importer/refurb shop may have applied a coat of shellac or something at some point for reasons unknown. I don’t think it was ever sanded or stripped, which usually goes hand in hand with an American refinish. This stock still maintains all the original proof stamps, and the markings are sharp and clear.. These marks typically get to the point they are not so clearly defined or vanish all together when using a chemical stripper or sanding/steel wool, sanding destroys them.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:48:53 PM »
Beautiful gun...

So interested in getting one someday, every part I have ever seen available looks to be of the highest quality, and more robust.
What fears me is how rarely you see any parts for Romys at all.  Was there no parts cache that came along for the ride with these?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Beautiful gun...

So interested in getting one someday, every part I have ever seen available looks to be of the highest quality, and more robust.
What fears me is how rarely you see any parts for Romys at all.  Was there no parts cache that came along for the ride with these?

Parts...  rofl one I bought.. out of the box had a Yugo bolt and carrier. I have seen stocks for sale...
http://www.clearviewinvest.com/search.aspx?find=Romanian+stock&category=17

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 12:20:19 AM »
Thanks for the link, gotta dig deep before you even see Romanian in the description...hell, those cracked stocks you could get the money back out of hardware harvesting them.  I should just get one for my ultrabubba purist parts gun...it's not like NK or NVA obvious parts are falling out of the sky. Romy stocks are a different wood aren't they?

Between Romys and Albys...Montana kind of missed the boat. 59/66s are about as exciting as it gets here....even the Russians are few and far compared to what is seen for sale on average on the internet.  Red (ChiHna) Dawn happened in Montana...we won and kept the guns....and we didn't make a movie....or call for help.  Either that or Norinco is Montana in Chinese and they all got sent here by mistake.  chuckles1

I see on average a dozen or less per year of any flavor SKS here....gun shows are not worth the price of admission.  I wouldn't be surprised if there isnt a single Romanian in Montana.