Author Topic: Savage Click Clack  (Read 4698 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Savage Click Clack
« on: March 02, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »
One of the more odd designs of rimfire rifles, these are also known as "Gill guns". Made by Savage and sold under other names like J.C. Higgins, Springfield and Ranger. These are older, actual Savage branded models, the walnut stocked 6A model is possibly pre war, the 6D Deluxe is from the mid '50's. There are a lot of variations.

Why are they called "Gill guns'? because they have these "gill" looking slots cut in the receiver.

The bolt knob is dual function. It can hold the bolt open, cock it and it can also lock the bolt forward for single shot action, like a regular bolt action rifle.

Two different locations, Utica, NY was Savages first factory opened in 1894, they bought Stevens in 1920, becoming Savage-Stevens, the Stevens location is noted on the second later rifle,  Chicopee Falls, MA. There is a third location that can be found, it's used after 1960, from Westfield, Mass.

Little misleading..as they are semiauto, using lower power .22shorts or .22l is the reason for locking the bolt shut, then manually work the bolt to cycle.

As for how they get the "Click Clack" name... Because, they actually click and clack when fired slowly... watch and see. :)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:30:38 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Savage Click Clack
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 03:41:58 PM »
That clicking is amusing.. I think I'd waste too much ammo with one of those just to keep hearing the sound. Lol. Nice  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 04:19:07 PM »
I tried one, just a few rounds.. It is weird....pow...click, clack. It releases the bolt when you let off the trigger.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 04:27:32 PM »
I tried one, just a few rounds.. It is weird....pow...click, clack. It releases the bolt when you let off the trigger.

Way too amusing. I love it

Made by Savage and sold under other names like J.C. Higgins, Springfield and Ranger.

A little irrelevant, but any idea if Savage sold .22s under the bame "Hiawatha?" My dad has one and I never heard the name until I saw his .22. Think I spelled it right..

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 04:44:22 PM »
There was a Savage 587 with the name Hiawatha.. a 20 inch barrel semiauto

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 04:54:05 PM »
neat, enjoyed the vid too.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 05:00:12 PM »
Interesting, never run across one of these before. Definitely a unique action. Good for teaching fundamentals of following through on your trigger pull  :)

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 05:39:02 PM »
There was a Savage 587 with the name Hiawatha.. a 20 inch barrel semiauto

Gotcha.. Thanks. Must be a Savage then

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »
Interesting, never run across one of these before. Definitely a unique action. Good for teaching fundamentals of following through on your trigger pull  :)

See... you didn't know you needed one..but, you do  thumb1

It's hard to shoot while laughing..... with this going through your head..

Whazat clickin noise?  rofl2   chuckles1

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 11:29:11 PM »
Back in the pre-internet days, I was given one of those with a broken stock.
Ultimately passed it on because I could not find a replacement.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
What an interesting action that has...if I had one, I probably would set up a video camera too just to watch it working. It kind of reminds me of putting the quarters into the pool table, pushing them in, and nothing happening until you pull the coin drawer back out.

It makes me wonder if this had any influence on Savage's design for the 22 Mag's delayed blowback system...I cannot detect it on mine, but it is integral to cycling them. This one it's kind of hard to tell as well, since the trigger seems to also serve as a temporary BHO. 

Nice to see some info on early Savage stampings too...my mom has (had?) a nifty 22 short/22lr Savage, that I didn't find much info like that doing a cursory search about it years ago. I hope she still has it so I can compare.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 02:54:46 AM »
What an interesting action that has...if I had one, I probably would set up a video camera too just to watch it working. It kind of reminds me of putting the quarters into the pool table, pushing them in, and nothing happening until you pull the coin drawer back out.

It makes me wonder if this had any influence on Savage's design for the 22 Mag's delayed blowback system...I cannot detect it on mine, but it is integral to cycling them. This one it's kind of hard to tell as well, since the trigger seems to also serve as a temporary BHO. 

Nice to see some info on early Savage stampings too...my mom has (had?) a nifty 22 short/22lr Savage, that I didn't find much info like that doing a cursory search about it years ago. I hope she still has it so I can compare.

I cant say on the Savage .22wmr... only semiauto .22wmr rifles I have, are the Marlin 922m and Cz 512.....I would like to try the .17hmr version in semiauto, my 2 .17hmr bolt actions are very accurate and fun.

What I ran across about stampings in my searching is: Utica, NY dates it to 1946 or before, Chicopee Falls is 1938-1960, Westfield, Mass is 1960 and later... They were talking about this model, but it could be across the board on all of their rimfires.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 11:04:17 AM »

I cant say on the Savage .22wmr... only semiauto .22wmr rifles I have, are the Marlin 922m and Cz 512.....I would like to try the .17hmr version in semiauto, my 2 .17hmr bolt actions are very accurate and fun.

What I ran across about stampings in my searching is: Utica, NY dates it to 1946 or before, Chicopee Falls is 1938-1960, Westfield, Mass is 1960 and later... They were talking about this model, but it could be across the board on all of their rimfires.

I would like to get the Savage 17hmr too, if only they didn't look identical to the 22wmr....well, technically vise versa, since the 17 came out first. I have been intrigued by that round since finding a fistful of them in the woods...terribly wicked looking little cute buggers.  The 22wmr BTW did end up firing just fine after a cleaning I suspect hadn't happened with the PO...probably just a couple of boxes of ammo and the factory grease.  ::)  I look forward to trying the ammo designed for it....

I am about 99% sure it was a Utica my mom has...it was extremely broken in so to speak. I seem to recall it being prewar, but vague as to exactly just how much.  My only experience with it was replacing the buttplate a few years back...which after extensive hunting, I located...only to find that at some point the toe of the stock had been reduced, so it hangs over. banghead1 Likely the reason the original plate was damaged.  It's certainly a wall hanger anyway...the bore is so smooth, frangibles likely would be the best ammo...since it might as well be a shotgun. It fires fine, if you can find minute of pizza box at 20 yards acceptable...and have the appetite for large pizzas....it might work great on large gatherings of gophers. rofl

Offline Misterdevan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 11:32:02 PM »
Thanks very much for posting this. I've never seen one of these in person, but I feel like I have to find one to play with for a bit. What a fascinating action!

Offline SKhiSm 59-66A1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • My God, they have a Weaselpecker with them.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 08:49:26 PM »
It might take some breaking in, but apparently it's not too uncommon for these to go full on. The Herters G1 I have is the same gun with just one lightening cut, and it's done it with me a few times it usually jams pretty quick when it happens. It's a sweet spot in the trigger as near as I can tell. First time it tore off about ten rounds and I was all wow how did I do that ? I've seen a few others post theirs did it too.
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."

Daniel Boone

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 09:15:25 AM »
I picked up a variant of these years ago that had major mechanical issues.  I don't have it anymore, but I got it going well after learning how it operates.  From what I understand, folks use to make these FA pretty easily and I can see how...  which is highly illegal so don't do it! 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.