Author Topic: Century VSKA (pics up)  (Read 1196 times)

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
Century VSKA (pics up)
« on: June 27, 2021, 03:53:48 PM »
well i did the research and they seemed to have corrected the issues on the earlier versions , which is why i steer clear of brand new roll outs

one popped up at my favorite shop , and it was  $100 cheaper than list price online and factor shipping and xfer savings tipped me into bringing it home

at first i did not like it at all , very uncomfortable , the polymer stock was several inches longer than a normal AK , not sure if it was because of so many years being use to a certain feel or what  , but i put about 300 uncomfortable rounds through it and in the safe it went

sooooo,,,, had a Yugo stock set just sitting there ,crying use me , use me , so i dug it out , disassembled and 2 hours later i had the yugo sock set modified ,fit and installed , its a trooper so the front sight sits back further so the hand guard is shorter

with the yugo stock installed i went and ran 200 more rounds through it and i am loving this rifle  , it does not feel like the same rifle , i have a compensator coming for it and right now the furniture i am re finishing it

i took amber shellac and layered a coat , added 2 pinches of dissolved and strained orange shellac flakes to the amber shellac and then 2 coats , let it cure for 2 days and knocked it down with 0000 wool

then i took red anoline dye and 2 drops in that solution and one coat , this was the final base coat ,it was bright orange with a pinkish hue to it  i then took violate anoline dye and started stirring it into that solution and it started coming around to my desired candy apple red  , i nailed it , it cant be a more perfect candy apple red if it was actually on a candy apple , now im sealing it with satin poly
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 11:18:05 AM by hoopharted »
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
Re: Century VSKA
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 05:24:41 PM »
How is it coming along? Any pics?

I just bit the bullet on one myself. I wanted another rifle to shoot 39 with and am tired looking for a Ruger. It's the Trooper with the triangle aluminum stock. This sucker is short. I ordered a Magpul FDE grip and forearm stuff and a Magpul sling. I like the placement of the front sight, no rail and threaded barrel. Very simple rifle. Haven't shot it yet but the trigger feels nice. I have some Bulgarian mags with the metal reinforced lips that I bought recently and they fit perfect. Zero wobble.

I have a nice underfolder built from  a Romanian G kit with a Nodak Spud reciever. Also have a Saiga 74 original sporter that I converter into a pistol grip AK.

This new rifle will be a four wheeler and truck gun that can get banged up a bit and it won't bother me. I just love mutts, underdogs, etc. The VSKA has VERY LITTLE LOVE on the AK forums that I have read. I tend to go against the grain a bit on pretty much everything. I love telling people I have eight or so SKS's and then get to watch the look on their faces:)

I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 06:10:50 PM »
Installed my QD swivels. Kinda neat, they can go on either side. Had to throw an old sling on. That's the Bulgy mag in the pics. It came with a US Palm which rocks a bit, not much. The safety has a notch cut to hold the bolt open.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 08:29:56 PM »
Cool AK Lowell! How much lighter is this than a wood stocked model? If you get the chance and the want-to, post up a couple pics on those QD swivels and how they work/attach. You said they were ambi? I'd be interested in seeing that.

I couldn't keep up with all the various magazine changes coming out of Bulgaria's Circle 10 arsenal.  I liked the early Waffle mags. Then they started coming out with all sorts of colored mags, colored followers, slab-sides, back to the Waffle style, and then with the new style that you have. They even had the style with the bullet pattern embossed on the sides in both 30rd and 40rd. I've had good luck with the Waffle mags in ComBloc guns but not so much in the Chinese AK models.

I'd be interested in seeing your Saiga 74, too. I never picked up any of the Saiga models but heard a lot about them. I just finished assembling a couple Bulgarian AK-74's that I had had built from as-new kits into barreled receivers. I used the Global Trades/Arsenal USA 1.6mm receivers. (They were also the builders) All that was left to do was fit the stocks to the tighter-fitting 1.6mm receivers. I just took my time and they fit great. I'm able to use all the ComBloc 74 mags. East German, Bulgarian, Russian, Polish Tantals, they all fit great. The polymer, the steel, or the bakelites. Do you know if the German Weiger's ever came in 5.45? I know they made the SAR-3's steel mags for the 5.56x45mm. Just not sure if they made the 5.45 or not.

I'm liking the 5.45x39mm cartridge! I've been so used to the 7.62x39mm that it was a pleasant change. My son just bought an IWI Tavor in the 5.56x45mm. We shot his Tavor and my 74's side by side and they matched up about the same as far as recoil goes. (He's got close to $3G in his Tavor. These toys have gotten expensive!)

firstchoice

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 02:45:00 PM »
Very cool.... let us know how it shoots. 

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 02:54:10 PM »
Here's the pics on the QD swivels.

Shot it this morning at 25 yards. Forgot hearing protection so 10 shots was all I could stand. Had a nice group for shooting offhand and fast. Feels solid. So far I am pleased. I saw where someone wrapped the top rail and buttstock with paracord. Might give that a try. Never done any of that.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 08:16:30 AM »
nice , ive been banging away on mine , about 1500 rds now, no peening or abnormal wear , still good nogo

trying to upload pics but they will not load for some reason , get to 95% and then stalls

nice triangle , be careful with that sling stud , had that type on a couple AR's and they are not very reliable , when it decides to let go your rifle goes doink on the ground , i removed them all and in the trash they went
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 08:25:14 AM »

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 08:28:59 AM »
theres some nice tutorials on para wrap on youtube , ive been researching  because im playing Barbie now with my AMD65

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 11:34:22 AM »
How is it coming along? Any pics?

I just bit the bullet on one myself. I wanted another rifle to shoot 39 with and am tired looking for a Ruger. It's the Trooper with the triangle aluminum stock. This sucker is short. I ordered a Magpul FDE grip and forearm stuff and a Magpul sling. I like the placement of the front sight, no rail and threaded barrel. Very simple rifle. Haven't shot it yet but the trigger feels nice. I have some Bulgarian mags with the metal reinforced lips that I bought recently and they fit perfect. Zero wobble.

I have a nice underfolder built from  a Romanian G kit with a Nodak Spud reciever. Also have a Saiga 74 original sporter that I converter into a pistol grip AK.

This new rifle will be a four wheeler and truck gun that can get banged up a bit and it won't bother me. I just love mutts, underdogs, etc. The VSKA has VERY LITTLE LOVE on the AK forums that I have read. I tend to go against the grain a bit on pretty much everything. I love telling people I have eight or so SKS's and then get to watch the look on their faces:)

Lowell , YOU SIR ARE A MAN I CAN RELATE TO!!!!!!!

far as im concerned i have a fun rifle that is a pleasure to shoot , everone i let squeeze the trigger had a smile  AND i can go to the AK FILES and my tag line is (i will clean it up) "i love my VSKA and give zero F's what anyone thinks about it" and watch the turd munchers pull their hair out

its absolutly comicle , you can head line a post with VSKA and set a egg timer for 60 seconds and some greasy headed parrot will whip out a pic (they all have the same pic)    from 2017 of a RAS47 failure and flip out THIS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU SEE SEEE LOOK AT IT , lol dude switch to de-caff already

and the ever popular , you could have got a WASR yea i could of and the bolt face will be eroded by 500 rds , dude did a 5k test on a VSKA, impartial , and then compared that rifles bolt with a WASR's bolt that had 500 rounds , not 5k , as 50 cent would say 5 hundid , the WASR's bolt was scary and the VSKA bolt had worked out any pre test inspection concerns and looked fine

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
Re: Century VSKA (pics up)
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 11:37:26 AM »
also put a MI QD mount with a Leupold freedom RDS  red dot 1 MOA on it

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 02:12:13 PM »
I sometimes wonder if the American made AK bias is to preserve the inflated import prices of someone's collection. Then again, some of those same folks look down their noses at an SKS which is very similar in function to any semi-auto AK and we all know is one fine rifle. This is one of the only forums that I really trust what I read. I have nothing against anyone making money by any legal means but I buy things to put a smile on my face. That's my value. Any monetary gain in value from owning certain firearms is just icing on the cake.

I would like to think that an American company is capable of building a quality AK. Yep, I fly an American flag EVERY day.

I have been searching hard for a wood furniture AK with no luck unless I want to spend north of $1000 and have only pictures for an inspection. Soooo Friday I ordered a Riley Defense AK with teak furniture.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 03:11:29 PM »
thats awsome , thats some good lumber Teak , they use to use it for ship decking

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 05:00:27 PM »
Here's some pics of it all dressed up. The Magpul stuff fit's really nice. I found some new Tapco 20 rounders for $9 new and they just fit this rifle.
My first attempt at doing anything with paracord.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 05:54:19 PM »
like the 2 tone

there is a way to finish the ends on that style of wrap , you run a loop down the axis of the frame you are wrapping , tape it and then start wrapping the opposirte end , when ypu work back to the loop feed your end through the loop and then pull it from the other end it tucks it under , then on the other end take a flat screw driver and tuck it under , one of the advantages of the simple wrap