Author Topic: I have an SKS stock with no cut out for bayonet--its not filled in.  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Oldtech53

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Is this rare?  I know bill clinton era imports had stocks filled in.  But this has never had a slot cut in it??  Comments--opinions?

Online Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Could be a commercial Clayco,Keng's,Polytech Hunter none of which had bayonets or provisions for one.Most military SKS's were arsenal /26\ marked receivers as far as I know.There were new production commercial 16" carbines that had no provisions for the bayonet either.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Nice. Uncut could bring a premium.

owenj492

Does it have a notch cut out on the left side like in this picture:

If so, it might be for the Cowboy Companion, but I have never seen a serialized stock for a Cowboy Companion.....

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
S/N is right in the range for a Clayco M8, likely what it was once on:

Sad to see, not many M8s out there, they are my favorite commercial variant.  I picked one up back in ~2014 for $350+ shipping on Gunbroker, new in the box, never even been disassembled (I put a tiny scratch on it when I popped the receiver cover latch cry1). 

owenj492

S/N is right in the range for a Clayco M8, likely what it was once on:

Sad to see, not many M8s out there, they are my favorite commercial variant.  I picked one up back in ~2014 for $350+ shipping on Gunbroker, new in the box, never even been disassembled (I put a tiny scratch on it when I popped the receiver cover latch cry1).

Wow, thanks for the pictures of your SKS, I have never seen or heard of that model, can you post more pictures of this beauty?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Wow, thanks for the pictures of your SKS, I have never seen or heard of that model, can you post more pictures of this beauty?

That one pictured isn't mine.  It was bought (and I think subsequently sold) by a good member here: padams8888.  Pat's and mine are the only two I've ever seen with their original boxes. 

Here's my M8:

The bayo lug has been heavily modified with a ball detent to keep the cleaning rod in place.  Note that the stock ferrule is custom to the gun as well since there is no "U" notched cutout in it like would have been on an original pinned barrel type 56.  These were imported in 1984.  As far as I've been able to ascertain, they are the first SKSs imported en masse into the US for commercial sales. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Dang, that's a beauty RM!  thumb1

owenj492

That one pictured isn't mine.  It was bought (and I think subsequently sold) by a good member here: padams8888.  Pat's and mine are the only two I've ever seen with their original boxes. 

Here's my M8:

The bayo lug has been heavily modified with a ball detent to keep the cleaning rod in place.  Note that the stock ferrule is custom to the gun as well since there is no "U" notched cutout in it like would have been on an original pinned barrel type 56.  These were imported in 1984.  As far as I've been able to ascertain, they are the first SKSs imported en masse into the US for commercial sales. 

WOW! That is beautiful, especially with all the paperwork, box, etc.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Thanks guys, one of the few 'nice' SKSs that I actually own, most of the others are mutts or well used Sino-Banians.  I'll be forever grateful to beachbumwithagun for letting me win that gunbroker bid @$350 because he was eyeing it as well.  thumb1

owenj492

Re: I have an SKS stock with no cut out for bayonet--its not filled in.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 06:15:32 PM »
I just noticed the "neutered" bayonet lug, it is just like the SKS-M, Sporters, NR, etc. Very cool!

Offline Oldtech53

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 11:10:04 PM »
no notch cut out--  the clayco info makes the most sense --thanx for the information

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
good stuff about clayco, first i have heard of them.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »
Beautiful example.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7