Author Topic: Synthetic stock  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Duffarmy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Synthetic stock
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:08:09 AM »
ok guys, quick question. Is there a synthetic stock made that is same specs as the original?This is for my type 56 that some of you may have already read about. I have a Chote machine and tool stock and it's a very bad fit for my particular rifle, I watched plenty of YouTube reviews were people loved it, so I got one and it's a no go. Changes the LOP but worse than that it changes the grip angle. It's also more narrow on the sides of the receiver and i can see daylight on either side of the RSB. Could you please point me in the right direction to a replacement that is like the original or very close.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: Synthetic stock
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 08:30:53 AM »
There is a ChiCom "bakelite" red stock that is considered a "jungle" stock.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 10:13:13 AM »
There isn't a synthetic that is modeled after the original close enough for all the parameters you seek.
The Ram Line is probably closest to the original length of pull, I believe those most recently were made by Champion...they are also the lightest of the aftermarket stocks.

The ATI is heavy heavy heavy....and the LOP is probably akin to your Choate.  Butler Creek, while I have never had one, has one of the best reputations, but also longer LOP.

I am surprised your Choate doesn't fit well, I have one of the dragonov type stocks, and it is by far the best fitting aftermarket I have ever used....those you can adjust the LOP by removing a series of spacer pads behind the buttpad.

There is also the Bell and Carlson, which you likely won't find without a couple years search, but I also believe those have the longer LOP.

Offline Duffarmy

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 01:51:17 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies, I will look for some of the listed. I can deal with the LOP, as long as the other areas fit. I guess to clarify it doesn't necessarily have to be synthetic just American made to meet stupid 992r. I just assumed synthetic was my best bet.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »
Here is the ChiCom "Jungle" stock.  It is made to the original specs considering it was a replacement stock.  The only drawback, it is made for only a blade bayonet, though there's enough material that it could be "fitted" for a spike.  Reading the rules, I'd say it would be 922r compliant since it would be returning the weapon to original wartime configuration post field/arsenal/depot replacement/rebuild.

alone in the moonlight lyrics

Online Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
I have the Choate Conventional on one of my Type 56s and it required some fitting but well worth it imho.It fits nice and tight and I drilled and inletted the forend for the cleaning rod.Choate makes several for the SKS.Don't know which one you have but mine is similar to this ;

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:37:33 PM by Bubbazinetti »
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Duffarmy

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 09:05:12 AM »
Bacarnal, that's a cool looking stock! I think it would work as long as i changed out the cheese grader for the original piece. Is there a source for these? Or a particular place they show up every so often? I Google searched but nothing came up, could just be me though.
  Bubbazinetti, that is the same stock I have, I don't know if anything would fix the gaps around the rear sight base, there pretty good size. Maybe I'll check it again. The other part is it doesn't come up on the receiver as high as the original and my receiver is pretty worn almost in the white below the stock, so it very noticeable. Maybe some cold blue and it wouldn't stand out as much. Thanks again fellas!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »
Duff -
I see them every so often on the AK site I'm also on.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »
Duff, Two are on Ebay right now under SKS Stock search.  One is at 81.00 with bids, the other is 169.00 BIN.  Another on GB under SKS Stock, Rifle Parts, Stocks at 129.00 or BIN for 149.00.  Check out Larry's sites and see how much they run.  If you cant find something reasonable,  drop me a pm.  Cheers, Bruce.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 12:47:45 PM »
On your Choate stock, sometimes they just need to be shimmed, or relieved, for fit due to the variances from one flavor of SKS to the next, wear and tear, and changes in fabrication over the years. You can potentially get that on any SKS stock that is not the OEM stock. You may even need to fit the jungle stock to your rifle.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »
Yeah,I had to do some considerable fitting to make the Choate fit my NA Type 56,around the barrel lug,trigger group and shimming the spring higher,shimming under rear of receiver and finally drilling and inletting the forearm for the cleaning rod,but I'm very happy with it and it is a nice tight fit and shoots great.Worth the effort.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Duffarmy

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 09:34:10 AM »
Thanks for all the solid info guys, if I'm understanding right if I go back to original configuration I'll be good, speaking 992r. I saved my old tube with original fore end so if I can take it off and put on the new tube in place of the cheese grader i should be good. So that would eliminate my need for another kind of stock. Learned so much on this form, thanks again!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 01:40:36 PM »
Thanks for all the solid info guys, if I'm understanding right if I go back to original configuration I'll be good, speaking 992r. I saved my old tube with original fore end so if I can take it off and put on the new tube in place of the cheese grader i should be good. So that would eliminate my need for another kind of stock. Learned so much on this form, thanks again!

Yes. By "fore end" I assume you mean the wooden handguard over the gas tube. You'll need an aluminum rivet for the handguard ferrule, which are available on ebay. To remove, center punch one end of the rivet, using a 3/16" bit (IIRC) carefully drill down just a bit (you don't want to drill the ferrule) to weaken the flange of the rivet. Then punch out the rivet.

Offline Cupid

• Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »
Here's one, and I don't think its a new stock, it had a rusty cleaning kit and sand in the butt.  I don't think it's fiberglass or bakelite either, I think it's made from resin impregnated cloth.

THE WELDER GIVETH AND THE FILE TAKETH AWAY

ARSE~!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 01:42:12 PM »
Here's one, and I don't think its a new stock, it had a rusty cleaning kit and sand in the butt.  I don't think it's fiberglass or bakelite either, I think it's made from resin impregnated cloth.

Nice stock. Just to point out, "resin impregnated cloth" is how rigid materials incorporating fiberglass (cloth) are made.

Offline Cupid

• Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »

Nice stock. Just to point out, "resin impregnated cloth" is how rigid materials incorporating fiberglass (cloth) are made.

I know but there is a difference , with fiberglass the fibers are obvious.

ARSE~!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 02:38:05 PM »

I know but there is a difference , with fiberglass the fibers are obvious.

Okay, that's interesting. I only remember shop class (a loooong time ago) and laying up woven cloth that was made of fiber glass and impregnating it with resin in molds to make a structural piece. But I suppose there are other types of cloth that can be used with resin too.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 07:25:27 PM »
B, I'm not certain, but I think most/many jungle stock are made for pinned spikers. I've only had 1 of the 6 I've got made for screwed blade. It can be tough to find a jungle stock with the HG matching perfectly.

OP, I've got or had almost all conventional type stocks, ATI & Choate Drag, ATI T6s, and a Ramline side folder. The Butler Creek are very good, the best, but can be hard to locate, Choate are light but kinda fit funny, Ramline is good but the wrist is wrong for me. The ATI Monty, although boat anchor heavy, is really solid, and came as a dealer option once upon a time (Combat Exchange). PAX

Here is the ChiCom "Jungle" stock.  It is made to the original specs considering it was a replacement stock.  The only drawback, it is made for only a blade bayonet, though there's enough material that it could be "fitted" for a spike.  Reading the rules, I'd say it would be 922r compliant since it would be returning the weapon to original wartime configuration post field/arsenal/depot replacement/rebuild.

alone in the moonlight lyrics
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 08:52:37 PM »
I always wondered about the gauze like appearance of many of the 'jungle' variety stocks.

Not having ever seen or held one, I wondered if they were perhaps wrapped in some kind of material soaked in preservative and it just melted over time/environment into the resin...

Offline Cupid

• Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 09:47:37 PM »
I always wondered about the gauze like appearance of many of the 'jungle' variety stocks.

Not having ever seen or held one, I wondered if they were perhaps wrapped in some kind of material soaked in preservative and it just melted over time/environment into the resin...

There is essentially three parts to them, the two different sides joined together and an oblong part in the middle with captive nots for the butt plate screws.

ARSE~!