Author Topic: "Tanker" M1 Garands  (Read 1808 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
"Tanker" M1 Garands
« on: October 27, 2020, 12:53:26 PM »
A good article on the actual M1 Garand carbine testing by the living authority on American WW1 and WW2 military small arms.

Short version: there are only a couple authentic test examples and they're in museums.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/10/26/tanker-garands-the-real-story?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=1020

Further info on Bruce Canfield, a really good guy in the firearm collecting and history community.

https://www.brucecanfield.com/

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: "Tanker" M1 Garands
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 04:27:10 AM »
Great read.

Thanks for the post.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 05:05:09 AM »
Really interesting story. Thanks for posting it up, Phos! I've yet to own a Garand, and I'm probably too set in my ways to change now. But what a place they have in our history of small arms. They sure made a difference in both theaters of WW2.

I had always been interested in the M14 and the short, BM-59 series of carbines. But after reading this, I wonder if the same issues came up with those "Tanker" models?

firstchoice

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:54:31 AM »
Great article... and I do tend to like shorties.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »
Really interesting story. Thanks for posting it up, Phos! I've yet to own a Garand, and I'm probably too set in my ways to change now. But what a place they have in our history of small arms. They sure made a difference in both theaters of WW2.

I had always been interested in the M14 and the short, BM-59 series of carbines. But after reading this, I wonder if the same issues came up with those "Tanker" models?

firstchoice

The M14 barrel is only 2" shorter, at 22". The BM-59 is only 19.3", so that's in the same territory as the experimental Garand carbines. The BM-59 is just as heavy as the M1 Garand, so that mass should help with perceived recoil but I've never fired (or even handled) one, so I don't know first hand.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »

firstchoice

The M14 barrel is only 2" shorter, at 22". The BM-59 is only 19.3", so that's in the same territory as the experimental Garand carbines. The BM-59 is just as heavy as the M1 Garand, so that mass should help with perceived recoil but I've never fired (or even handled) one, so I don't know first hand.

IIRC a BM-59 barrel is what LC used on his infamous bolt action sub-MOA custom SKS. Indeed a heavy barrel.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 12:05:13 PM »
LC used a Browning machine gun barrel, "a custom chambered Israeli 1919A4 barrel", heavy indeed

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/10/1moa-sks/

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 12:42:41 PM »
LC used a Browning machine gun barrel, "a custom chambered Israeli 1919A4 barrel", heavy indeed

Oh yeah, that's right. I think he looked at using the BM-59 though. We chatted a lot when he built that thing so my brain gets foggy on the details, lol. Well, I've been sick and I'm over 60 so my brain gets foggy period, lol.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 01:20:53 PM »

Oh yeah, that's right. I think he looked at using the BM-59 though. We chatted a lot when he built that thing so my brain gets foggy on the details, lol. Well, I've been sick and I'm over 60 so my brain gets foggy period, lol.

:)) Hey, I only thought it was a machine gun barrel, and had to look it up to get the specifics.

Hope you're on the mend  thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 01:38:20 PM »

:)) Hey, I only thought it was a machine gun barrel, and had to look it up to get the specifics.

Hope you're on the mend  thumb1

Yeah, I'm about 95%, but have a couple of lingering symptoms like the foggy brain and occasional cough that don't want to go away. Pretty COVID-like for testing negative, LOL. What did I just buy on Gunbroker?????? rofl rofl rofl

Haven't lost my sense of humor though. :)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 04:28:03 PM »
Great article... and I do tend to like shorties.

More please.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7