Author Topic: H&R Reising M50 Sub-Gun  (Read 4942 times)

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
H&R Reising M50 Sub-Gun
« on: November 14, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »
The timing couldn't be better.  The day after I completed a repair for the stock on a Model 50 - H&R Reising - Cal.45, Harrington and Richardson Arms Co. submachine gun, the previous registered owner called with the news that my NFA Tax Stamp paperwork had arrived in the mail.  Approval was three months to the day, even with an address correction request.

The seller had allowed me to take possession of the stock last week, and I performed a wrist crack repair as seen in the following link. 

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26263

Now with my own Tax Stamp and possession of the action, today was field strip, cleaning and inspection day.  Aside from some rather messy powder and dried oil fouling, all the components checked out.

Of course I hit my range this morning and began with three SA cycles, followed by two FA, five more, and then a twenty round mag dump.  There is one really messed up cardboard box.  Flawless function.

I believe it is a 1943 manufacture, and went to the Michigan State Police in post-war.

Pics, enjoy, and thanks for looking.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: H&R Reising M50 Sub-Gun
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
I have read these were used by the USMC in the Pacific. Very nice looking specimen! You lucky rascal tommy1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Jelly! 

I love the Reising design.   You need an m55, m60, m65, m165, m150, and m151.!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:24:15 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
That is too cool  8)

How's the muzzle rise in full auto? Looks like it has a muzzle brake designed to minimize that. Are the detents between S/SA/FA really stiff and secure?

My first reaction when I see MSP is the Minneapolis St. Paul Airport (I travel too much and I'm from Minnesota). Don't recall ever seeing the MSP airport police walking around with these though  :))

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »
These were mainly issued to the Marines in the Pacific theater.  The gun was not a very popular choice, as it really likes to be clean for reliable function and landing on beach heads was dirty work.

The selector switch is fairly positive and secure on mine.

And muzzle climb is a real son-of-a-gun to control, even consciously attempting a proper stance and hold.  With a rate of fire at 700 rpm, it dumps a 20 round mag in about 1.8 seconds, so there is not a lot of time to regain control.

It did chew up a cardboard box (torso sized target) pretty well at 20 yards, though.  What a blast.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »
Hmm, 20 rounds x 230 gr bullet = 2/3 lb of lead in 1.8 seconds  :o I imagine that would be challenging to control...but I wouldn't mind practicing  :)

I guess that's more of a compensator than a muzzle brake, since it appears that it vents straight up out of the top.