Author Topic: Bubba painted SKS question  (Read 3274 times)

owenj492

• Trade Count: (0)
Bubba painted SKS question
« on: July 09, 2019, 06:36:51 PM »
I hope I posted this in the right forum, I purchased a type 56 arsenal 26 12 million SKS on Gunbroker, it's been painted black ( I don't know if it is oil-based or not ) and I am restoring it to original with a un-numbered wood stock and handguard, need advice on removing the paint, I have crc brakleen non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner and gumout carb/choke & parts cleaner, both aerosol cans, can they remove paint from firearm metal, and not harm the bluing? Anyone else ever had a painted SKS and how did you remove the paint? Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Bubba painted SKS question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 07:22:36 PM »
Petroleum solvents, chlorinated solvents, alcohols won't hurt metal or bluing. It depends on the type of paint whether or not the aerosol solvents you describe will dissolve or loosen the paint. It appears to be simple rattle can paint (lacquer or enamel). The old-fashioned paint stripper will certainly work for that and perhaps Citri-strip.

Note, I don't have any direct experience with removing paint from a Bubba-coat SKS, as none of mine have come painted.

owenj492

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
I do have a container of Citristrip, and thanks for the advice.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 12:00:26 PM »
Something that will assist in stripping is a Big 45 Metal Cleaner....it's like a Brillo pad of metal harder than rust, softer than bluing that should assist in the nooks and crannies. They are cheap...and they deliver them fast.

Chances are, it was painted for a reason...and you might not have a whole lot of bluing left anyway. You might consider cold bluing it once you get it cleaned up.

I have removed the BBQ paint from a Russian before...you are in for quite a chore. It's going to be a lot of fun around that rear sight/barrel/receiver junction. :)

What are you going to do with the Ram-Line stock?  Those are pretty sweet lightweight stocks, that you can actually router out a bayonet channel on. I used to really like mine until I fit it to a particularly weird SKS...now I can't use it on anything else. Once I found a nice wood stock for it...it's been gathering dust.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 12:05:48 PM »
Does it have any import markings?

owenj492

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 12:55:37 PM »
@Justin Hell: I do have some Big 45 Metal Cleaner, totally forgot I even had it, and I have no use for the Ram-Line stock, willing to sell it if you want it, but I have not removed the hand guard from the gas tube, they are soaking in WD-40 at the moment.

@Phosphorus32: I do not see any import stamp on the receiver, and I don't see any on the barrel under the gas tube, but it might be painted over, if it is there............let me confirm if it has a import stamp and I will post it here.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 11:34:43 PM »
Thanks, but I wouldn't be in the market for it right now...but it is a pretty cool aftermarket stock, that I believe weighs less than a wood stock.

If you want to recoup your stock replacement, if you have the original Ram-Line handguard soaking...the pair might even it out pretty close. They are pretty cool looking for a plastic handguard...mine also was shortened to this slightly out of spec DB so it's useless on any other gun anymore. Fortunately the wood stock on that gun is gorgeous enough to not feel too terrible about it.

They also work without modification on AK mag accepting SKS variants...a pretty handy stock.  I wouldn't mind having another to play with, but at the moment, I have been considering holding up a Lowe's for more pressing issues.   chuckles1

owenj492

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 03:42:44 PM »
I do have a SKS Sporter (takes AK MAGS) that needs a stock, I'll try that. I used the Big 45 metal cleaner and a small wire brush and used ALOT of Brakleen Parts Cleaner (both red and green cans) and Gumout Carb Cleaner to remove all the paint from the firearm and parts, not much of bluing left but it has that cool "been there, done that" used look.

There is a import stamp but I can only make out "SKS and CHINA" (very faint) cannot see the name or city, state.

I'll get pictures up soon.

owenj492

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »

Bayonet and cleaning rod/kit are next on the list!

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
nice work, looks so much better. thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

owenj492

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 05:29:11 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 06:07:05 PM »
That's a remarkable revival; nice transformation back to well-worn original configuration.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 09:57:29 AM »
Outstanding!
Looks great.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »
Agreed, very nice job on getting that old girl back into her proper outfit and getting all the Tammy-Faye makeup removed.   thumb1

owenj492

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 07:01:53 PM »
Thanks everyone!