Author Topic: Arsenal 0141.  (Read 817 times)

Offline Sindone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Arsenal 0141.
« on: December 16, 2023, 02:17:41 PM »
I would like some opinions on this one.  I initially thought it might be a cast receiver.  But I'm uncertain.  The arsenal stamp is light,  it appears to have a small cast line on the bottom.  The barrel is screwed in with no cross pins.

guilty smileys

Offline Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
Re: Arsenal 0141.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 05:07:46 PM »

Very nice pics - thanks for sharing  thumb1

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 08:28:25 PM »
Good looking rifle and great photo spread. Hammer doesn't seem to have much wear. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 09:18:05 PM »
Sindone, thanks for the photos!

I think it very well could be a cast receiver, although I'll state that I'm no expert. What I find interesting are your 7th photo (apparent "pittiness" and rough, "cast-looking", un-machined corner of the receiver), your 10th photo (where it seems that the bottom of the receiver has been machined, similar to the one I posted recently; also, we can see the "cast-looking" corner of the receiver), and your second and third photos, which include some interesting details, to wit:

1. The barrel has an index mark, with no apparent matching index mark on the receiver (somebody check my ancient eyes!!);
2. The receiver has the "flats" machined in to the sides of the forward-most part of the receiver; and
3. The rough edge (indicative of casting?) between the left side and the bottom of the receiver.

Which of your photos would best illustrate the faint casting line?

You've also provided photos of the receiver cover, which appears to be "pitty".

This is pure guessing / conjecture: could the PLA have refined their casting process to the degree that pinning was no longer necessary, such that a threaded barrel / threaded CAST receiver were a viable option?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 04:28:47 AM by jmaurer »

Offline Sindone

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 05:34:47 AM »
When I looked at it in the LGS the first photo is what made me think it was cast. It appears to have pits close by the barrel on both sides.  The second photo looks like a faint casting line.  It has really rough machining but looks like they didn't go deep enough to remove the whole line.
Also you are correct,  there is no index mark on the receiver

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 10:23:45 AM »
Nice little carbine.  I would say it is cast as well, the first cast receivers that were identified were all short threaded barrel lugs like this one.  Some have reinforcing vertical cross pins in them, but this one appears to have been done the standard way.  The lack of matching numbers on the barrel and receiver is interesting, they typically have them unless the gun is a rework.  I see a "21" on the receiver round in this photo:

but all the other photos don't show anything in that area, it must be either an artifact of the photo, or that one photo is just a the perfect angle/lighting to see the faint impression of an old number that was milled off smooth...

You need a spike bayo for her!  She looks naked w/o one!  chuckles1

Offline Sindone

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 07:19:02 PM »
I put a bayonet on it.  It's shown in only one of the photos. It came with the bayonet but not the locking lug or spring.  I had those at home so I wasn't too concerned. 

Thank you for the comments.  I've been hunting for a cast receiver for about 6 years now.