Author Topic: Putting trigger group back on receiver.  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Ironsights

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Putting trigger group back on receiver.
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:20:49 PM »
Id posted my progress in intro's thread until  now - this  should be moved here.

I am having trouble getting the trigger group to engage to the receiver.
Appears to be a spring catch.

How to get this together without damage.  Does safety on affect assembly ?

Thanks SKS people

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Putting trigger group back on receiver.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »
Id posted my progress in intro's thread until  now - this  should be moved here.

I am having trouble getting the trigger group to engage to the receiver.
Appears to be a spring catch.

How to get this together without damage.  Does safety on affect assembly ?

Thanks SKS people

Yes, it definitely needs to be on "safe" (safety lever up next to the stock) in order to insert the trigger group and get it pressed in over the spring at the rear of the tang.

Offline Ironsights

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 05:18:19 PM »
Thx Phos32 .  The unit took more force that I expected to get it together.
I realized the receiver was moving upwards and not allowing engagement of the trigger group.

The rifle is assembled now. Should now be able to field strip more easily being cleaned up.
The extractor and spring cleaned up beautifully.

I've a front site adjustment tool somewhere , what does the E on the elevation site represent.?

Like to get this one out and sandbag and check my groups. Am I just lucky , or did everyone get the bandoliers? * (or have these been banned too?)

The SKS , Not having hi- capacity magazine - this makes up for it - 200 rounds at close reach and well distributed weight wise.     Ive still not found the original sling , I like to keep adjusted long so I can wrap around my forearm for IMO a little stable off -shoulder firing.

The rifle is really large for me in the grip , Id "modified" the stock with a round file to make easier to get a square trigger pull.  A pal fires his SKS with his middle finger.
Works for him

Is the SKS a true Kalashnikov?   Id read before the internet it had preceded the AK-47.
Thanks contributors , you saved me money getting my SKS back for use  and I learned something.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:22:40 PM by Ironsights »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 07:01:38 PM »
Glad you got it figured out. They often do take a good smack to click into place depending on the tightness of the stock fit and how well the trigger group has been lined up before applying pressure or a hard rap.

The "3" is the battle sight marking. When the rear sight slider is pulled all the way to the rear it rests on the "lip" of the rear sight base. Zeroed at ~200m.

The SKS is not a Kalashnikov, it's a Simonov, as indicated in its full name (see link). It did indeed precede the AK-47 in both field trials and full production.

http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=1315.0