Author Topic: SKS trigger jobs  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
SKS trigger jobs
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:28:19 PM »
We all know about Kivaari and the great work he does and most know about Murray's and he does great trigger work as well, but has anybody ever heard of these guys? Found their listing on GB. Says they've done thousands of SKS triggers since 1998, but only have a 127 rating review total. I've never heard of them, but I've only been doing this for 15+ years so in the SKS world I'm not really an old timer. Middle aged maybe, LOL.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877464621
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: SKS trigger jobs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »
I haven't, but I'm just an SKS Newbie by your "length of service" requirements  rofl

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
AGI has a video tutorial on it.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 07:42:00 PM »
Never heard of 'em...and I got my first SKS in 98ish.

I believe considering all we have read over the years about Kivarri and Murray.   Considering they both will contribute to gun boards regarding discussion of what they do, vs. these guys who nobody has heard of, and comparable pricing....I would lean towards K or M.

If these guys were offering thirty/forty dollar jobs, perhaps I would chance one to see what happens.  There was a guy on eBay offering services as such for around $50 + return shipping...still too spendy to risk it for someone you never heard of.

I have seen the AGI and Sailor Curtis (?? stupid memory ??) videos, and I have attempted to do a couple, never being quite satisfied...and once having to replace a sear.  It's a fine art, while the artists still exist, I think I will let them do the work in the future.

Perhaps you could convince them to do one pro-bono for a recommendation among board users? :P

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 10:56:08 PM »
Never heard of 'em...and I got my first SKS in 98ish.

I believe considering all we have read over the years about Kivarri and Murray.   Considering they both will contribute to gun boards regarding discussion of what they do, vs. these guys who nobody has heard of, and comparable pricing....I would lean towards K or M.

If these guys were offering thirty/forty dollar jobs, perhaps I would chance one to see what happens.  There was a guy on eBay offering services as such for around $50 + return shipping...still too spendy to risk it for someone you never heard of.

I have seen the AGI and Sailor Curtis (?? stupid memory ??) videos, and I have attempted to do a couple, never being quite satisfied...and once having to replace a sear.  It's a fine art, while the artists still exist, I think I will let them do the work in the future.

Perhaps you could convince them to do one pro-bono for a recommendation among board users? :P

I had the video at one time and know the process. It's kind of like getting  your oil changed. Having been a mechanic and now doing other things, it is not worth my time to do it myself when I can be making better money and letting someone else do it. As long as Tom and Ben are around I'll feed it to them and get other stuff I am more efficient at done in the mean time.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 01:57:10 PM »
I've had Ben do a couple. This time I'm sending a couple to Tom, both Para TGs. One I worked the sear over a bit moons ago. The other I just got from NC and it has something wrong with it, and rather than mess around I'm sending it to Tom. PAX
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:52:08 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
I've had Ben do a couple. This time I'm sending a couple to Tom, both Para TGs. One I worked the sear over a bit moos ago. The other I just got from NC and it has something wrong with it, and rather than mess around I'm sending it to Tom. PAX

Be forewarned, Tom is 4-6 weeks out right now. He has one of mine right now and that is what he told me.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 02:42:31 PM »
I've had Ben do a couple. This time I'm sending a couple to Tom, both Para TGs. One I worked the sear over a bit moos ago. The other I just got from NC and it has something wrong with it, and rather than mess around I'm sending it to Tom. PAX

Be forewarned, Tom is 4-6 weeks out right now. He has one of mine right now and that is what he told me.

I have spares, so they won't be non-functioning. Otherwise I'd only do 1 at a time. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »

I have spares, so they won't be non-functioning. Otherwise I'd only do 1 at a time. PAX

I wanted to send this one in so I ended up buying one on Ebay that was already serviced by Tom, lol. Cost wasn't too bad, but I now have a really nice FCG on hand when needed.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 05:52:27 PM »
The only one I really think I need to have done is my Sporter.  It's essentially brand new, and isn't really even broken in...but I can tell it's never going to be right without some work. I dunno if it has anything to do with the sear spring and the altered mag release....but the release is also a reason I don't want to tinker with it myself.

It really requires a lot of lbs of pull compared to any other SKS I have fired.  I may hold off until the wait time is a bit less though....have you seen what a spare AK release trigger goes for now?!  I won't be getting a backup for it....the backup/bubba-able gas tube set me back enough. I was lucky to find one anyway.

I just fear losing the ability to fire my one SKS that takes AK mags might spur on the apocalypse, or at the very least domestic unrest.  Perhaps I will wait until after the election?  :-\

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 05:58:45 PM »
Yeah, the MC-5D I just picked up has a funky trigger on it as well. May take a look at it before sending in. It is more Safety related than the actual trigger pull.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 07:31:20 PM »
The only one I really think I need to have done is my Sporter. It's essentially brand new, and isn't really even broken in...but I can tell it's never going to be right without some work. 

My 1st Paratrooper was "essentially" brand new when I got it. Or actually a NEWLY built Para with a bad trigger. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 07:50:51 PM »

Things happen, fellas.

There's a pretty well known 'smith on the AK board I frequent.
He lives in Oregon.
He posted that he had less than 30 minutes to clear out before one of the wildfires burned his place to the ground.
He's asking for people to contact him if they had something being worked on because he only has his phone, and all the contact info and inventory lists were on his computer which was overlooked in the mad dash to get out.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Cupid

• Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »
A good trigger job is VERY easy to do, all that's needed is a vice, a sharp file and a sheet of fine emery paper. 
THE WELDER GIVETH AND THE FILE TAKETH AWAY

ARSE~!

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 03:59:48 PM »
A good trigger job is VERY easy to do, all that's needed is a vice, a sharp file and a sheet of fine emery paper.

To a degree. The bad trigger on the Para I mentioned was the sear that I manage to address. But Tom and Ben change out the springs for Wolf and insure positive sear engagement also. Worth it to me. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Cupid

• Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 02:04:18 AM »

To a degree. The bad trigger on the Para I mentioned was the sear that I manage to address. But Tom and Ben change out the springs for Wolf and insure positive sear engagement also. Worth it to me. PAX

If you like paying for something you can easily do yourself then go ahead.

ARSE~!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 10:27:07 AM »

There is no need for crap like this on these boards.  Just because you can comment doesn't mean you should.  I suggest you reacquaint yourself with the rules & learn to follow them (especially #1 & #7).  This is the second time mods have stepped in and issued you a warning for one of your posts, the next one will result in more than a warning.   

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 02:00:58 PM »

I can do brake jobs, motor overhauls, and any manner of auto repair, but these days some things I just take to the shop. I just had the front end done on my lifted ZR2 to the tune of a couple grand. I could have done it myself, as I'm doing to my '71 Bug's disc conversion and suspension rebuild, but it's been too hot. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Cupid

• Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 02:33:33 PM »

There is no need for crap like this on these boards.  Just because you can comment doesn't mean you should.  I suggest you reacquaint yourself with the rules & learn to follow them (especially #1 & #7).  This is the second time mods have stepped in and issued you a warning for one of your posts, the next one will result in more than a warning.   

1.  It's simple, first and foremost, respect each other.  Be civil!!

7. Trolling(name calling/bullying/pushing buttons) won't be tolerated. A fun razzing is one thing, but taunting is another.

There was no disrespect or incivility shown or intended

There was no trolling , name calling / bullying/ pushing buttons whatsoever.

Helpful advice was offered, nothing more, nothing less.

ARSE~!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »
Let me dissect it:

Cupid: "If you like paying for something you can easily do yourself then go ahead."

1. There is no helpful advice herein.
2. It assumes someone wants to do the trigger job themselves and has the correct stones and knowledge to do it well without cutting in to the surface hardened layer too deeply, and resulting in both a smoother trigger and neutral engagement or better.
3. Implicit in your "advice" above is that the person who doesn't do it himself is wasting his money because it's so easy.

If this was your first statement of this type, we probably would have rolled our eyes and ignored it, but it's part of a pattern, and the prior examples were even worse. You just like to argue and push people's buttons, and if they don't agree with your opinion they're wrong or deficient in some way, and/or become the source of ridicule.