Author Topic: 1941 Izhevsk SVT-40  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
1941 Izhevsk SVT-40
« on: April 21, 2021, 12:02:59 AM »
As promised on another thread, here is my recently purchased Izhevsk SVT-40.  Re-furbished (plum bolt and carrier) with matching serials on the metal and a Tula AVT-40 stock.  Hopefully get to test fire her soon.  Just got to the Denver area and have found there are several firing ranges nearby.  The gas tube is a bit pitted and I hope to find a replacement, though no luck yet.

As usual, my pictures aren't showing up as I took them.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
Re: 1941 Izhevsk SVT-40
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 12:24:32 PM »
Yes. Pics look really good.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 01:23:19 PM »
Lookin' really good Bac
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 01:42:03 PM »
As promised on another thread, here is my recently purchased Izhevsk SVT-40.  Re-furbished (plum bolt and carrier) with matching serials on the metal and a Tula AVT-40 stock.  Hopefully get to test fire her soon.  Just got to the Denver area and have found there are several firing ranges nearby.  The gas tube is a bit pitted and I hope to find a replacement, though no luck yet.

Question here - Is that checkered button the release for the bayonet?

Comment here - DANG, Brother! I'm seriously jealous.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 02:46:24 PM »
Nice score, congratulations!

Manufactured in August 1941 during the highest output year (and second of just two years) of SVT-40 production at Izhevsk, before they shut down that line in favor of M91/30 production.

https://www.m9130.info/svt-40

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 03:29:54 PM »
Very nice Izhevsk SVT-40, congratulations!!

If you are interested in SVT-40, try to get an original 1940 Izhevsk, 1940 Izhevsk have some unique features.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »

Question here - Is that checkered button the release for the bayonet?

Comment here - DANG, Brother! I'm seriously jealous.

No, it's for cleaning rod

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 03:34:58 PM »

In addition, your SVT-40 is much much less common than many other 1941 Izhevsk SVT-40. Yours does not have scope rails on the receiver. Izhevsk without scope rails are quite rare.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 05:23:06 PM »
Thanks all.
Larry, yes the button is checkered, but as pcke2000 said, it's for the cleaning rod.
Jon, thanks for the date.
pcke, I, too, noticed the lack of rail slots when I bought her.  I'd love to get a 1940, but I'm just glad I got this one for what I did. 
Bubbaz, Thanks.  I'm pleased with the clarity, but the orientation of some from what the original was have a tendency to bug me.
Anyone know of a source for the gas tube.  Mine is pitted, but looks serviceable.   All the same, I'd like to either replace it or have a spare.
I'm working on a trade with a good friend to get his Finnish capture.  He says it's a 1941, but he didn't provide a picture of the receiver top.  Just of the serial which I'll post in another thread.
Again, thanks all.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 12:51:14 AM »

Did you mean the gas piston or gas cylinder?

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 01:03:56 AM »
pcke, a lot of different names show up, but the gas piston would probably be the most appropriate, i.e., what the gas cup fits over.  I've saw that a bunch of stainless  steel ones were made (cup and piston sets), but I don't think they are still available.  Thanks!!

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 08:46:24 AM »
pcke, a lot of different names show up, but the gas piston would probably be the most appropriate, i.e., what the gas cup fits over.  I've saw that a bunch of stainless  steel ones were made (cup and piston sets), but I don't think they are still available.  Thanks!!

Roger. I see which part you were talking about. It seems like Numrich is the only major parts vendor with used gas pistons in stock. The webpage says they are pitted. Don't know if yours is better or worse than theirs.

I know people ordered multiple at a time, once received them, picked and kept the best one and returned all others.

My suggestion, always keep your current one. Is there an e-penciled serial on the gas piston? Normally Soviet refurbs have e-penciled serial on gas cup and gas piston, and sometimes even on gas regulator (gas nut).

For some reason, Soviet refurbs have more serialized parts than originals.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 10:52:34 AM »
That looks great!  Nice rifle sir!

Those are cool...far more interesting than a new AR.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 07:38:03 PM »
Very nice, Bruce!