Commercial Weapons > Hand Guns & Sub Guns

Ruger Blackhawk and Bears

(1/2) > >>

Chevy Boy:
Hi all, I do some of my recreating in pretty dense bear country and am looking at picking up a .44 mag pistol for possible bear defense.

I currently use a 12 gauge loaded with slugs as a camp gun, but when I'm walking long distances in the woods there's no way I'm lugging that with me in addition to my tackle or an 8 lb rifle.

Someone nearby has a .44 Ruger Blackhawk for sale, anybody here got experience with this wheelgun? For those of y'all who also live in brown bear country, penny for your thoughts on bear defense as well.

Bob_The_Student:
Blackhawks are single action only if not mistaken. Im not sure I'd want a SAO for defense. Redhawk would be the way I go, if it was between the Rugers. Just my opinion.

Greasemonkey:
Biggest thing is, find what fits you and your comfortable with and you can handle rapid fire strong recoil and reload quick if needed.  It's not one size fits all, some carry a G20 10mm loaded with 15rounds of 220gr solid cast, someone else may tote 454 Casull or a 460 S&W.  The 454 Casull I have is an absolute beast with some 360 grain and higher loads.

Larry D.:
The Blackhawk is a fine pistol, and will do the job.
However, in a defense situation, I'm thinking a double action is a better choice.

Phosphorus32:
I agree that the Redhawk would be better if you want a reasonably priced good revolver in 44 magnum. It’s heavy too but lighter than a 12ga. The Glock 10mm G20 or G40 are good choices for a reasonably priced semiautomatic packing a lot of ballistic energy.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/6/3/8-best-charge-stopping-bear-cartridges

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version