Author Topic: Vz2008 stock conversion and Vz vs Ak comparison  (Read 9870 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Vz2008 stock conversion and Vz vs Ak comparison
« on: September 16, 2014, 11:40:28 PM »
First off, I picked up a Vz2008 recently, The owner had two mags, but the fixed stock conversion. That was what was right up my alley, the folder I didn't care much for. Also he included a Czech sling, cleaning kit and bayonet.

This is when I got it home.

After the stock conversion. very simple to do. Except for getting the bolt loose on the folder, it's TIGHT!!!  The fixed stock is hollow and very light weight.

And for those interested, a Vz to an Ak, the quick and dirty comparison. As you can see, they are two totally different weapons, absolutely nothing in common, other than they can both hold 30rds. The gas piston for the Ak moves the complete length, where the Vz gas piston moves just 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, the actual gas system works much like an SKS. The Vz also has some slight similarities to a Hakim, Mas 49/56 and/or SKS looking at the bolt carrier design. The top spring is the recoil spring, bottom smaller spring is actually the hammer spring. The actual bolt itself and bolt locking method, is I'd guess is the Czechs own design, small and simple, yet looks very robust.

They obviously did not want to comply and use the Ak, given the history of the vz.52 and vz.52/57.  The Vz 58 design began in 1956, accepted in to the Czech Military in 1958. Production lasted until 1984, it's still a weapon used today in the military, but through time and weapon advances is becoming obsolete.

Tear down however is just as easy, at least to me as an Ak, just release the two pins, one for the top cover and once for the gas tube. The rear of the top cover flips up and just slide the bolt and carrier back to release it from the receiver. Like the Ak, you cant put it together incorrectly, it just won't go. In the weight category, the Vz, even with the solid machined receiver is a pound lighter than an Ak. The Vz weighs in at just under 7 pounds, Ak vary in weight, 8 to say 8.5 pound. With the way the gas system/action was designed, in my experience, felt recoil between the two is less with the Vz as well. Vz magazines are constructed from an aluminum alloy, they are lighter than a typical steel Ak mag.

Disclaimer: :o  I'm not getting in to this is better than that, both of these arms have seen use world wide, both were seen in Vietnam as well as other well known confrontations. Both designs have been field tested on equal grounds and the designs are proven. This is more of the what makes the other tick, the guts, meat and taters, again, not Brand X is superior to Brand Y. I have my own opinion, it's posted above, in reality, I wouldn't get rid of either over the other.

The contenders, in this corner, a Chinese Mak 90, a decent quality built Ak, has the doublehook trigger, which is an upgrade from typical single hook triggers, and it's slightly heavier built than most of it's European cousins/ In the other corner, a CAI Vz 2008. Before you cry foulball, it's not a "TRUE Vz 58", there is not a whole lot of difference in construction from a D-Technics imported Vz-58, shown here http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=91.0

Receivers, 1.5mm stamped/riveted Chinese vs. fully machined.

Handguards: Not really much to say, The Ak, you have to pull the bolt assembly out to remove the handguard, the Vz, you remove same way as the rear cover, pull the release pin, and it grants access to the gas piston.

Top covers: Chinese is a stamped cover, the Vz cover serves as the holder for the recoil and hammer springs. The Vz is a striker operated, the actual hammer will be shown later. The large squiggily spring is the recoil spring, the straight spring is he hammer spring, seen inserted in to the hammer in the bottom photo. The cover is easily removable by pushing it forward just slightly and pulling the pin. The Ak, the rear of the receiver provides the area for the recoil spring, The same latch is used to remove the top cover, also if pushed forward more, releases the spring.

Gas Pistons: the Vz is a short stroke operated weapon, the piston moves 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, just enough to give a smack to unlock the bolt. The gas system is much like an SKS without the piston extension. There is a removable return spring housed in the rear sight, so after the gas impulse, it returns to it's closed position.

Bolts/Carriers
The fun stuff, The Vz is a gas operated falling breech block locked rifle, two locking lugs on a block that pivot lock the bolt in to the receiver rails, There is a wedge shape area on the carrier that during firing moves after being struck with the gas piston,  this wedge on the carrier slides between the locking block and bolt and lifts the locking block, freeing the whole assembly to move, extract and reload and lock shut. The Ak is a gas operated long stroke turn bolt locking mechanism. Which the gas piston, carrier and bolt all move the same distance back, the bolt rotates to both lock and unlock the carrier from the receiver. The lock slots in the rails can be seen on the Vz receiver photo

Vz bolt showing the locking block tilted up, and the rotating Ak bolt

Here the lock is down, and it shows the hammer pulled out. In the bolt is a recess the hammer fits in and hits the firing pin.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:08:35 AM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Vz2008 stock conversion and Vz vs Ak comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »
Nice MAK :D

Interesting to see the two next to each other. Much more different looking than I anticipated.

Offline COMBLOC64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Thanks for the pictures and explanations. I really like my Vz2008 and keep it handy for emergencies. I have a friend who has the fixed stock and I like that too. But I prefer the folder for ease of access and use in an emergency.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 03:48:17 AM »
Nice pics. If I ever get one I'm going to get an m4 stock adapter for it.

Offline Brawny

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 11:29:11 PM »
Welp, I know what my next gun will be.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 02:35:26 AM »
Nice pics. If I ever get one I'm going to get an m4 stock adapter for it.

If you do be sure to get an adapter that angles the AR buffer tube down. If you get the straight horizontal adapter you may find you have trouble getting a good sight picture with irons. If you are running an optic the straight tube may be ok.

We run a lot of vz58 in Canada.
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 04:14:30 AM »
As far as I know there are none here that angle down!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 06:34:39 AM »
I have no intrest in m4orgy stuff and I found the goofy angled adapter. chuckles1
http://stormwerkz.com/stock-adapters/vz-58-stock-adapter-type-1-factory-angle/

And for straight.    http://stormwerkz.com/stock-adapters/vz-58-stock-adapter-type-2-straight/

Vz58/Vz2008s are few and far between now sadly, Czechpoint still has a few, the CAI ones, they are no more and prices are creeping up fairly quick, along with magazine cost. When I bought my Czechpoint Vz58, I got the 2 of the 4 mags and a pouch from Aim for like 49 bucks a pop, now 30-40 bucks per mag is typical, if you can find them. I got several more after the Vz2008, ran about 16 bucks per, my last score they were 23.50 per mag. Last I saw they had gone up even more.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »
No a fan of the M4-geries either, but to each their own.  My AR is my AR, and my VZ are my VZ.  The AR mag adapters and such, to me, take away from the experience.
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 06:41:30 PM »
If anyone is looking for mags I have some coming from AIM. ~$15 each. I'll let ya'll know how they look.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 07:20:25 PM by lowell66dart »
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 11:13:23 PM »
Some handling and regular usage marks..  thumb1 I got a few more..  :) sure beats $30ish a pop at other places, if only they had mag pouches... Oh well, quick stop off at Numrich.  ;)

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 11:55:56 AM »
Mags are in and good to go. Very satisfied.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...