Author Topic: A tale of two Russians...  (Read 6197 times)

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
A tale of two Russians...
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »
Last week I was all agush about a K letter Tula I received as a trade. Poor little girl was carried by at least two, perhaps three or more soldiers that were into personalization and possibly one being related to another, maybe father and son...

I cleaned that one up and discovered a bulge in the bore under the front sight... still looks cool though.

Today, I think I hit the other end of the spectrum.

Both are matching numbers except for the replacement stock on the, well I guess they both have replacement stocks...
My only Russian up to this point had been one with a matching mag and enough Chinese parts to fool IO...  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:53:13 AM by Stoned_Oli »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: A tale of two Russians...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:11:13 AM »
That Izhevsk is a dandy Oli, even with the replacement stock.  '53s aren't too easy to come by.  Was it a funshow buy or a GB roll of the dice?  What about it caught your eye such that you bought it?

Do you think the Ruso-Banian is salvageable?  Maybe make a paratrooper out of it to remove the bulge (though MrC tried that on one of his, and after all the work to shorten the barrel and get the FSB back on it simply bulged again)  That's a neat looking carbine, would be a shame for it to become a permanent wall hanger.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:26:32 AM »
The Izhevsk was at a pawn shop on the way to work and I stopped in to see if there was anything interesting. I looked at all the Mosins first of course, and having decided on an M38 I asked to see the SKS just in case. It was facing me with a thirty round mag stuck in it, I thought it was Chinese at first. The guy handed it to me and I flipped it over and saw triangle and a $499 price tag. He negotiated down to $450 + tax... and still has his M38.
As far as Bajraktar goes, the bulge is about from 1-1/4"-1-3/4" from the muzzle. It would seem there would be plenty of good rifling left allowing for 16"+. Still, that's over my tool ownership status to do, although I have pondered a possible counterbore.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:31:29 AM by Stoned_Oli »

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:56:23 AM »
Wow $450 ey? Nice score..

Both are cool, congrats  thumb1

Offline Crazyone

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • This won't hurt a bit!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:04:01 PM »
Neat combination, noticed the stamps to the left of the serial number--looks like the recently seen hex andddddddddd a possible triangle !  Where's LC--he has the eyeballs on this board,  seems that a few Russians have started showing up with new stamps on the receivers and so far no data or idea except it may be an arsenal stamp.---Not to ignore the horizontal on the hand guard !!
Give me your poor-your broke-your homeless-Blued & Birch Letter guns and your DDR/Liski's !

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »
Neat combination, noticed the stamps to the left of the serial number--looks like the recently seen hex andddddddddd a possible triangle !  Where's LC--he has the eyeballs on this board,  seems that a few Russians have started showing up with new stamps on the receivers and so far no data or idea except it may be an arsenal stamp.---Not to ignore the horizontal on the hand guard !!

Kinda looks like a triangle to me.....  any better pics Oli?   Great rifles by the way.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »
Nice finds, the carvings are super cool!! What a lucky catch with the Izhevsk  thumb1
Congrats
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »

You are correct! There is both a faint triangle and a hexagon, and a nice triangle 1 on the forward portion of the receiver near the barrel with other misc. marks.
I think these pics suck a bit but I have to get to work. I will try to better them later.

The piston face and the bolt face both look like it may not have been fired since refurb; if it has it was VERY few times.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
Very interesting...   that rifle is marked both Serbdosk and Liski.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »
Better shot of the misc. stamps on the barrel end of receiver.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »
This is just awesome Oli.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 12:34:43 PM »
Holy crap...  also has the [X]  tripple furb.  This one saw service, no doubt.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 10:11:28 PM »
How does one go about bulging a barrel like that, tripping and firing directly into some dense dirt?  I also wonder if it is triple refurbed because nobody noticed that and it just bounced around from arsenal to arsenal until it got mothballed.

Either way, nice scores...hope a cut down can bring the Tula back into service....the trench art is very nice...in a trenchy way.  ;)