Author Topic: Are these what I think they are?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline theSKSguy45

• I huff cosmoline recreationally
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Are these what I think they are?
« on: August 06, 2023, 08:21:19 PM »

Am I looking at spike cut Russia SKS laminate stocks? (If so I’m buying a couple, so let me know if you need a link to the website)
My bank account is in a permanent state of emergency thanks to this site

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Re: Are these what I think they are?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 08:18:29 AM »
I saw these on a Canadian website (CGN) for sale several months ago(Feb. 2022). The butt plates were still in the paper wrap. What is the link to the sale of these stocks as I will take a closer look?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 08:52:57 AM by jstin2 »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 10:02:35 AM »
The finish is certainly different than you typically see on the amber replacement laminated stocks found on Soviet refurbed SKS45s.  Much darker and more matte than glossy.  They are neat though.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 11:19:29 AM »
In the ad that I saw(last year), they had a bag with the stock bolts. I noticed that the picture presented, that they have not been installed. So, if you buy one make sure that you get the bolts.

Offline theSKSguy45

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 07:27:07 PM »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 09:14:00 PM »
I went to the link and inquired about these stocks. He had several available for sale. So I bought 2. They look good, so cleaned them off and tried to fit. I worked on one and had to remove some wood so it would fit into the stock ferrule. Once it fit, I placed rifle into stock(with cross bolt installed), but it did not fit right. After looking, I saw that the hole for the cross bolt was not in the right place. My stock(EM 717) from end to start of hole is 8 inches, these are around 8 1/8 inch. The other stock is also 8 !/8 inch. Now that doesn't sound like much, but now it does not fit on the receiver.  Now, I believe that these stocks were rejects due to this fault. Not sure what to do to fix, but will see what happens. Rifle fits good when the bolt is not installed in stock.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 09:18:39 PM »
For those that have not seen what a cross bolt looks like, I took some pictures of it.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:17:20 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 09:20:34 PM »
1/8" is the difference between a threaded barrel and a pinned barrel in regards of where the cross-bolt is positioned in the stock.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 09:40:50 PM »
1949 Tula - threaded barrel. Stock is for a tula in ad. I don't know much about Chinese stocks, but did they make laminate stocks?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 09:54:44 PM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 11:15:42 PM »
I emailed the seller about the problems and he has replied. He sent pictures of what he had done so that they will work on a spiked tula. Will see what happens. Why not show this in ad? When I bought this he said that it will need slight sanding to fit. LIKE I SAID REJECTS on sale. Once modifications made then it will be okay. Time will tell tell.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 11:45:44 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2023, 12:35:45 PM »
Yes, there are Chinese laminated stocks. IIRC the thickness of each layer is different than the Russian stocks, but don't remember which is thicker and which is thinner.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2023, 01:00:15 PM »
I did a little sanding on the inside and on the end, where it fits into the stock ferrule. If the cross bolt is not installed, rifle fits perfect. That tells me that the hole was drilled in the wrong place.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 08:50:53 AM by jstin2 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2023, 04:35:46 PM »
I suggest grinding/filing the back side of the cross-bolt that 1/8" so the action will fit with the bolt installed. Removes a lot of the strength of the bolt, but that is secondary to aesthetics in this case as the rifle functions fine without the bolt in place anyway. Looks nice BTW

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2023, 05:23:59 PM »
I had thought about grinding the bolt and am considering it. I also thought about moving the hole in stock and then filling in the gap. I threw out the idea the seller suggested due to the fit would not be right. I have to agree with Greatguns that grinding down the pin would probably be the least obvious. I have a garbage stock with a cross bolt installed, that I can try grinding. Also with it in the stock, it will act a vice and hold it in place.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 05:30:22 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2023, 06:15:08 PM »
Dremels and a vise are our friends, LOL. You can do it Justin

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2023, 07:26:02 PM »
I removed the cross bolt from my garbage stock and it already has some material taken off and I would say from the factory. Still have to take some off to fit.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2023, 01:47:27 PM »
Dremel and vice. I now have 2 functional stocks for a 49 or early 50 spiker. Looking closer at the top picture, I need to grind a little more to get rid of gap and make it flush.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 08:18:51 PM by jstin2 »

Offline theSKSguy45

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2023, 10:33:40 PM »
I thought about picking one up for my EM because it’s already a fake I may as well make it look the part. I’ll probably leave a piece of paper in the cleaning kit describing how it’s a fake so a potential future buyer won’t feel cheated if I’m not the one who sells this down the line. Would the stock be worth picking up at the at price point you think? Would it even work with my later pattern of ferrule?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2023, 11:17:32 PM »
There is enough negative points about false SKS reviews. Do not encourage more. What you have is worth its value. What someone did to you, does not warrant to pass it on. Plus this spike stock will not fit due to the stock ferrule.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 06:21:53 AM by jstin2 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2023, 10:05:26 AM »
Looks good J2