Author Topic: Chinese AK variant  (Read 6324 times)

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
Chinese AK variant
« on: May 28, 2017, 06:10:47 PM »
Well....New project has arrived. 24 Million series  that someone mildly bubba'd with  a 5 round magazine and aftermarket stock. Going to turn it into an AK mag version.  Have some other ideas as well...............😀

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Re: Chinese AK variant
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
Made progress last night.....got the rifle broke down, got the original FSB removed, magazine latch removed and modified and removed the bolt carrier lock. Next will be building the front end of the trigger assembly to carry the magazine release. Deciding on barrel length as well.....somewhere between 16 and 17.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »
:)

I anticipate more fun...keep it up....I also covet your FSB tool.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 03:39:02 AM »

Thanks Justin.....that FSB tool was a creation from a gent on Ebay.....3rd one he made for me that didn't break.....beefy SOB!!

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »

Thanks Justin.....that FSB tool was a creation from a gent on Ebay.....3rd one he made for me that didn't break.....beefy SOB!!

I have seen them before, along with his pin driver, which seems to no longer be available...I tried and failed to win a used puller recently.  I really would like the pin driver for an FSB I have that I swear the pins were driven in whilst still molten.  I want to replace it with one that has a useable bayo lug...I won't break anymore of my punches.  What happened with the previous two?

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
They stripped out where the threaded rod goes through. That's why my current one has so much material on that end. I believe I shipped them back to him for post failure analysis....lol. I tried to get some of those pin sets as well...no dice. I have broken.....10 punches so far?? I finally made a stubby for the initial hit...seems to help. Also...as you know.....heat always helps.....:)

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »
I 'made' a stubby too, that does help.  Glad I didn't lose an eye.

I am guessing he must have had an easy one when he designed everything...I kind of made a pin pusher like LC's small c-clamp one...but alas...Harbor Freight metal let me down in use.  I think a quality clamp would probably do nicely, but a quality clamp's metal might not lend to easy modding.  It's a lot of effort to go through when it bends on the first use.

If the pins came out healthy on your FSB...I might be your huckleberry for a swap.  I need a couple.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »
12 hours too late on the FSB...went the way of Evilbay before my selling privileges were suspended for selling "assault weapon parts" lol.......3 day ebay jail..... rofl

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »
Seriously?

I better watch out for bad terms n such. So you were one of the pros that actually included the pins with the FSB?

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 08:11:27 PM »
Seriously?

I better watch out for bad terms n such. So you were one of the pros that actually included the pins with the FSB?
Well I do try......:)

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 10:09:02 PM »
Progress!!! Here it is so far....just a teaser though.....far too much time into this to describe it all now....but I liked how it turned out...so far! Cut to 16 inches....threaded barrel end. M14 modified magwell liner. A lot like the Russian I did before, but I added a piece of metal to the bottom of the receiver for the magazine lip instead of cutting deeper like I did on the Russian. Did not have to cut the rail this time either for the magazine insertion. More to follow...

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »
That turned out most excellent Pat.  Is that the original stock that you modified to work with the mags?

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 02:49:21 AM »
Yes indeed. It's a lot quicker when I used the correct bits for the wood removal....:)
I need to make the filler plate for fwd of the magwell.