Author Topic: PS90  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
PS90
« on: June 13, 2019, 10:09:01 PM »
File this under July 1 is just around the corner, or file under because I've wanted one for a while. My first NIB firearm in a long time, and my first bullpup, ever. An FN PS90, made in the USA from the finest high impact plastic, a few metal bits (like a barrel, bolt, springs, etc.) and finished with an FN Made in America price tag.

It's completely ambidextrous, with symmetrical charging handles, mag release and safety "topped" off by bottom ejection. It's a breeze to field strip and with all of its weight at the back, it points easily. It's just 7.1 lbs empty, and 7.5 lbs with 50 rounds of 5.7x28mm 40gr. The rail incorporates iron sights (rear aperture, front post) with about a 5" sight radius. I'll top it off with a Venom Vortex red dot, which is on its way from Primary Arms.
https://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-venom-3-moa-reflex-sight-vmd-3103

It should be a great range rifle for my wife, other recoil averse friends and family (and of course, ME). Also, it may be a nice bedside PDW with practically no structural over-penetration concerns, but with the ballistic energy of a 9x19mm standard pistol round...and a 50 round magazine  :o

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: PS90
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:46:02 AM »
That is a pretty neat piece of hardware. So it's kind of a nightstand Mare's Leg?  chuckles1

I am trying to wrap my head around how that thing feeds.  I had to double take a couple of times, but when in the mag, are the cartridges not facing 45 degrees left of normal?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »
Everything about this firearm is unique.  8)

With the magazine upside down for loading, the first cartridge loads in line with the barrel, then it rotates 45 degrees clockwise as you load the second and 45 more as you load the third, so it’s perpendicular to the barrel. The cyclic rate on the full auto P90 submachine gun is 900 rpm or 15 rps, so those two stepwise rotations happen precisely and quickly under spring tension.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 10:59:00 AM »
Weird space gun....   Not sure if you can take it to the next Star Wars convention? 

Is this the funky thing the British palace guards use? 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 11:37:12 AM »
Weird space gun....   Not sure if you can take it to the next Star Wars convention? 

Is this the funky thing the British palace guards use?

I think the Buckingham Palace guards use the L85. It's a bullpup, but it's a British designed firearm chambered in 5.56 NATO. The P90 variants are used by PDs or military in about 50 countries, including the US Secret Service, according to the Wikipedia article.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 06:19:11 PM »
I gotta admit, every time I see one of these it kind of reminds me of a Habitrail.  Does the FA version have the hamster wheel?  chuckles1

I have seen Secret Service with these...if it wasn't for the insane cyclic rate, one might think part of the intent behind them was to confuse the crap out of anyone you point it at. They do fit under a sport jacket surprisingly well.

Perhaps a pencil or something for size reference in a photo would help. :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 06:32:07 PM »
Perhaps a pencil or something for size reference in a photo would help. :)

That's a 50 BMG cartridge in the picture...

rofl ...not really, just a 5.7x28mm cartridge, OAL = 40.5mm, 1.6"

The rifle is 26.3" long.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:37:32 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 06:52:37 PM »
congrats, not for everyone. weird and interesting at same time. all that matters is that it made you happy.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!