Author Topic: Bolt action purchase part 1  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Bolt action purchase part 1
« on: January 20, 2021, 10:37:41 AM »
Decided, with everything going on it would be smart to have bolt actions in the calibers I have. So, was meeting a guy at my local BassPro yesterday on some x39 HP and went in to look around after we got done.
I have been looking for matching Ruger American Ranch rifles in 5.56 and 7.62x39, but have only seen them online and at a minimum of $650 +. I ended up talking to a supervisor and asked if could check the tags on the ones on the rack for me. They were 1-6.5 Creedmoor and 2-.308 Americans. Then I thought to ask if he had anything in back so he kindly went to look. Came out with a 5.56NATO and said it was the last one.
So, obviously I said 'I'll take it'. $490 OTD after tax. Still need to find a scope and an muzzle device for it, but at least I am 1 down and 1 to go. Well, I may go back and get the .308 as well. We'll see, LOL.

Oh, and I also picked up this other thing with that HP ammo I mentioned.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Bolt action purchase part 1
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:59:13 AM »
Nice. I need a X39 bolt gun too. I picked up a Vortex 1X4X24 for my .41 mag Henry form Bass Pro. Just under $200. I'm waiting on a mount, hammer spur, and big loop from Henry. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:21:45 AM »
Nice. I need a X39 bolt gun too. I picked up a Vortex 1X4X24 for my .41 mag Henry form Bass Pro. Just under $200. I'm waiting on a mount, hammer spur, and big loop from Henry. PAX

What, you're not going to say anything about my Bugly SKS with the ACU camo and ATI bi-pod? :))
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 11:36:50 AM »
Nice.  thumb1

I really enjoy my CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. Light and it has the old school blue and wood feel. It was not exactly cheap, even before the insanity hit, but I do like the mini-Mauser action and the set trigger.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 11:42:10 AM »

What, you're not going to say anything about my Bugly SKS with the ACU camo and ATI bi-pod? :))

It's nice too. I kept one of the rifles I just sold in a black T6, just because I had a Tapco gas tube for that set up. It saved a stock gas tube for future endeavors. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 12:39:20 PM »
Nice.  thumb1

I really enjoy my CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. Light and it has the old school blue and wood feel. It was not exactly cheap, even before the insanity hit, but I do like the mini-Mauser action and the set trigger.

I had one, but the stock was so nice I was afraid I would damage it if I used it, LOL. COuld find one in a plastic stock so I started looking for a Ruger. I also like the fact that the Ruger in x39 uses Mini-30 mags so I can go Hi-cap if I want to.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »
Nice.  thumb1

If I was going to get a 7.62x39 bolt action rifle it'd either be the CZ or the Zastava M85. I love Mausers.

That said, Ruger's are good quality and great bang for the buck.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 01:49:20 PM »
Nice.  thumb1

If I was going to get a 7.62x39 bolt action rifle it'd either be the CZ or the Zastava M85. I love Mausers.

That said, Ruger's are good quality and great bang for the buck.

Yeah, I got to be honest, the set up on the CZ-527 Carbine I had was tighter and nicer than this Ruger, but not enough to make a difference to me to offset the $200 less I paid for the rifle vs the going rate and even more for what the CZ cost.(if you can find one).

I had thought of investigating what it would cost to turn a Spanish Mauser into a x39 chambered unit. Barrel/Chamber would be easy, it's the mag feed I'd be concerned about.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 02:57:50 PM »
Just a personal opinion here. Ruger's customer service is top notch. They went overboard to help me fix my 10/22 that is 30 yrs+ old. I was floored how good their customer was.

Nice pick up GG. I'm so enamored by the old stuff that I don't even look at new stuff now.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
Just a personal opinion here. Ruger's customer service is top notch. They went overboard to help me fix my 10/22 that is 30 yrs+ old. I was floored how good their customer was.

Nice pick up GG. I'm so enamored by the old stuff that I don't even look at new stuff now.

Thanks Bob, I already have a bi-pod and a paracord sling(also in Black/FDE), just need a muzzle device and scope to finish it off.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 03:08:10 PM »
The fact that you can use other types of mags is a big plus. That's the one thing I don't like about CZ, their mags are nice but EXPENSIVE and there aren't many types of those.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 03:27:06 PM »
The fact that you can use other types of mags is a big plus. That's the one thing I don't like about CZ, their mags are nice but EXPENSIVE and there aren't many types of those.

Yeah, $40 + for a 5rnd mag is expensive. I got 3 when I bought my CZ, which also made it easier to sell. "comes with 3 mags" is a good selling point, lol.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 08:37:38 PM »
Just so you guys know I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at bolt 7.62x39 rifles on the web today.

So far I have come up with the excuse that since I don't own a bolt gun and that everyone needs a hunting rifle cause you never know and a hunting rifle really should be a bolt gun......well that's it so far. How does it sound?
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 10:03:56 PM »
Just so you guys know I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at bolt 7.62x39 rifles on the web today.

So far I have come up with the excuse that since I don't own a bolt gun and that everyone needs a hunting rifle cause you never know and a hunting rifle really should be a bolt gun......well that's it so far. How does it sound?

Exactly, if nothing else so the wife or friend or whoever can use it while you hunt with your SKS. It also is a great back up, and you should have a bolt gun in every caliber you have.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 01:25:14 AM »
Once and while, you could run across an H&R Handi-rifle in 7.62x39, even Rossi made one in 7.62x39. Seen quite a few of both floating around.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 10:54:36 AM »
BTW, in case anyone needs some ammo, targetsports has the steel variety at .45 per round with free shipping for bulk purchases. Not great pricing, but better than $1 per round  :o that Simpson wants for it.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 11:07:06 AM »
Once and while, you could run across an H&R Handi-rifle in 7.62x39, even Rossi made one in 7.62x39. Seen quite a few of both floating around.

Years back I owned two Baikal/Remington break opens in 7.62x39 and .223. Sold them both to an acquaintance then, a few years later, tried to buy the x39 rifle back but he had already sold it onto someone else. Man I miss that rifle. It was a tack driver.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »
BTW, in case anyone needs some ammo, targetsports has the steel variety at .45 per round with free shipping for bulk purchases. Not great pricing, but better than $1 per round  :o that Simpson wants for it.

Who? Homer Simpson? :P rofl rofl

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 01:09:00 PM »

Who? Homer Simpson? :P rofl rofl

DOH!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 01:22:23 PM »