Author Topic: Winchester Model 1200  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Winchester Model 1200
« on: October 05, 2014, 03:14:30 PM »
My late Dad acquired this shotgun in the late 80's and Mom passed it on to me along with a couple of other guns after he passed away in '99.

It's my understanding Winchester started off with these in 1964 and production stopped in January 1981. During this time the Military used a short barrel trench gun version of the Mod 1200 with a metal heat shield and bayonet mounting lug in the Vietnam War.

These Winchester guns are difficult to date and in many cases, impossible due to missing records. However according to the surviving lists of Winchester serial numbers this one appears to have been built in early 1973. Certainly not, I would think, an ancient collectors item and they aren't worth much but it has sentimental value to me that is incalculable.

Not much bluing left on the old girl, it has been well used over the years but it's still a serious contender in the field!

Our youngest daughter Sam made a danged good accounting of herself with the clays using this gun. Even with a 30" full choke very few of them got past her!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
Re: Winchester Model 1200
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks 06!

Offline Lmbass14

• Enjoying another trip around the sun.
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
  • Just livin' the dream.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
Great form, and really like her vest.

You did good, you should be proud.
In war, there are no winners or losers.  Just survivors. DR

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »

Thanks bass! Her mother and I are very proud of her and our other daughters. We have five girls and they all have been brought up hunting & fishing and we are trying to do the same with our grand kids. We want to see instilled in them a love and appreciation for the outdoors and firearms and pass that on to their children.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »

Thanks bass! Her mother and I are very proud of her and our other daughters. We have five girls and they all have been brought up hunting & fishing and we are trying to do the same with our grand kids. We want to see instilled in them a love and appreciation for the outdoors and firearms and pass that on to their children.

That is awesome man, Your a good man.

My cousin is REALLY into hunting and has 2 girls. When people ask him if he wished he had a son he replies..." Why? My lil girl always beats all the boys and brings home the trophies in archery contests and by 13 yr old, has brought home more white tail deer then most grown men"  :)
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 11:46:27 PM »

That is awesome man, Your a good man.

My cousin is REALLY into hunting and has 2 girls. When people ask him if he wished he had a son he replies..." Why? My lil girl always beats all the boys and brings home the trophies in archery contests and by 13 yr old, has brought home more white tail deer then most grown men"  :)

Thanks hippie, our girls have always been competitive, especially where shooting was concerned. Many a time they have been shooting with the boys and it was quite a shock the first time for the guys to find themselves seriously defending their "honor and manhood" against a girl that they didn't think could even hold a gun correctly. A few even got mad about it!

Sounds like your young Ladies are traveling the same trail, good for them...and good for you Dad!

Shooting sports is a part of "Americana"!

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:46:05 PM »
Nice post 53,
  Just a note on the 1200. If you didn't know, the ol 1200's have been resurrected as the Savage Stevens 320. My son just bought one at Walmart for $207.00 and I have to say its about the best value in a 12 pump I have seen in some time. The receiver is a bit different but the bolt, barrel and trigger group is solidly Win 1200.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »
Nice post 53,
  Just a note on the 1200. If you didn't know, the ol 1200's have been resurrected as the Savage Stevens 320. My son just bought one at Walmart for $207.00 and I have to say its about the best value in a 12 pump I have seen in some time. The receiver is a bit different but the bolt, barrel and trigger group is solidly Win 1200.

Thanks xtriggerman. I'm glad to hear such a good action has been resurrected, danged good price for a good quality gun. Congratulations to your son!

I have been considering getting an M12 trench gun barrel for mine but don't know if it will fit, so far I have been unable to find any info in this respect on the internet.

Anyone out there know anything about this?

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »
Danny here are a couple pics of my Winchester 1200. Little overcast today so I kinda just winged it. as you can see, our guns are pretty much twins.  ;) I did replace my plug cap with a sling type adapter so I could carry it easier when hunting Phesants, and also Ducks and Geese at the Refuge.  I guess it was my junior year in High school 1979 when I bought it. This gun never failed me. Its been under water, drug in the mud and hardly ever cleaned back in the day. I used this gun for  many yrs until they outlawed lead. The 30 in bbl dont like steel bat1... like yours,, This one will go to one of my son's later when im gone.Check out the SN on my receipt. Im very curious of how close our SN are on these two..  8)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 07:33:07 PM »
That's a pretty neat specimen DC! Your gun is into the seven digit s/n's while mine is six digit....Ser/L765759. I really like that sling cap, I'll have to look into getting one for this gun.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Check out your serial number at this site DC. The Mod 1200 shotguns are way down at the end of this lengthy list.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/content/dam/winchester-repeating-arms/support/faq/serial-number-reference/Winchester-Manufacture-Dates-by-Year-2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 08:32:42 PM »
Cool ill check that Data sheet out Danny thanks. Yours must be earlier 70's. I would have the original cap back on the gun if I didnt lose it lol.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »
DC, according to the list mine was made in '72 or '73 I'm not sure!.

I would like to get a Trench Gun barrel for it. Have found them for the Mod 12 but have been unable to find out if any of those will fit the 1200. I have emailed several sites but got no answer, would you happen to know?