Author Topic: Edited title: Early Chinese 7th year 1962 Factory 26  (Read 3405 times)

Offline 100Acre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Edited title: Early Chinese 7th year 1962 Factory 26
« on: January 13, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
I thought I'd research my Chinese sks and it appears I have another possibly rare sks. It's a "Missing link" 1970 factory /26\ but with a 5 digit serial number 76170 pre-ceded with 70. it has the one piece gas tube, a just metal finish like three's no bluing anywhere, side stock swivel and the weirdest thing is a threaded barrel like for a suppressor? I dunno.. It looks like a bring back but it does have import marks.

I went and bought a yoga mat and a lead sled so I could present a better picture for Y'alls viewing pleasure chuckles1

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:31:13 PM by 100Acre »

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Missing Link 1970 Factory 26
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »
I like it.  thumb1

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
No missing link here.

It's a 7th year carbine (1962). Looks like one from the Albanian caches-- the import stamp will confirm or deny this. With a 7mil serial it's likely an I.O. import.

The missing serial number on the stock suggests that it has  possibly been refinished or (imho, more likely) it's an Albanian-made replacement stock-- a fairly common trait on the Albanian imports.

How many holes in the butt-stock plate?

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »
I have no idea about the threaded barrel fore end.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 08:26:16 PM »
Here's the importer marks.
Are Albanians collectable or is this a common rifle? I have never seen threads on an sks rifle. Also, I assumed that the 70 prefix number was from year of manufacture?

langston hughes mother to son analysis

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 08:29:09 PM »
I also thought IO was inter ordinance?

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »
I just read the Albanian history on this site so I have a better understanding of it's history. So is this an early Chinese model being a 1962 date 7th year thing...? Still confused am I.  ???
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:59:05 PM by 100Acre »

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »
No missing link here.

It's a 7th year carbine (1962). Looks like one from the Albanian caches-- the import stamp will confirm or deny this. With a 7mil serial it's likely an I.O. import.

The missing serial number on the stock suggests that it has  possibly been refinished or (imho, more likely) it's an Albanian-made replacement stock-- a fairly common trait on the Albanian imports.

How many holes in the butt-stock plate?

Only one hole in the Buttstock, Posted import mark up above this post. I'm slowly learning my way around here...

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 10:58:38 PM »
Hey 100acre, nice rifle.  Let's take a step back to not get overwhelmed.

• This is a standard 7th year /26\ carbine.  No missing link anywhere here, there were many hundreds of thousands of these 7th year guns made and many thousands of them are still floating around the US today.
  • The 7 is the key numeral.  Forget the 0, it's not a 70 prefix, it's a 7.  We also don't care about the "millions" placeholder.  The first numeral, (sometimes the first two) is the key to the Chinese dating system on a standard type 56 with standard S/N formatting.  Year 7 correlates to 1962 which is when domestic Chinese production rally hit it's stride after the Sino-Soviet split.  Year 6 guns are quite uncommon, but by year 7 the Chinese clearly began to crank these out again after being forcibly weaned off the Soviet supply chain.  One nice thing to know about this S/N series is that it is a C&R gun.
  • The Import stamp is IA CO SAC CA which corresponds to some variation of Inter American (Import Export) Co. in Scarmento, California.  Absolutely no relation to Inter Ordinace in Tennessee.  See https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2111.0, entries 76 through 78 for more info.  This is not a Sino-Banian gun.  This gun was imported from China before 1994.
  • Your stock is a Chinese replacement stock.  Nice grain on it, though it is a bit oily with embedded grime.  Not sure I'd clean it, I suspect the finish would come right off with the amount of scrubbing that would be needed.
  • The threaded muzzle....that's anybodys guess.  I've never seen a stock Chinese SKS with that (Yugo M59/66s have threaded muzzles..though a very different thread from the AK pattern).  Could it have been imported that way?  Certainly, but the easier explanation is that Bubba got his hands on it and decided to install a muzzle device.  Looks like a std. left hand thread that an AK would use.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 11:07:37 PM »
Hey 100acre, nice rifle.  Let's take a step back to not get overwhelmed.

• This is a standard 7th year /26\ carbine.  No missing link anywhere here, there were many hundreds of thousands of these 7th year guns made and many thousands of them are still floating around the US today.
  • The 7 is the key numeral.  Forget the 0, it's not a 70 prefix, it's a 7.  We also don't care about the "millions" placeholder.  The first numeral, (sometimes the first two) is the key to the Chinese dating system on a standard type 56 with standard S/N formatting.  Year 7 correlates to 1962 which is when domestic Chinese production rally hit it's stride after the Sino-Soviet split.  Year 6 guns are quite uncommon, but by year 7 the Chinese clearly began to crank these out again after being forcibly weaned off the Soviet supply chain.  One nice thing to know about this S/N series is that it is a C&R gun.
  • The Import stamp is IA CO SAC CA which corresponds to some variation of Inter American (Import Export) Co. in Scarmento, California.  Absolutely no relation to Inter Ordinace in Tennessee.  See https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2111.0, entries 76 through 78 for more info.  This is not a Sino-Banian gun.  This gun was imported from China before 1994.
  • Your stock is a Chinese replacement stock.  Nice grain on it, though it is a bit oily with embedded grime.  Not sure I'd clean it, I suspect the finish would come right off with the amount of scrubbing that would be needed.
  • The threaded muzzle....that's anybodys guess.  I've never seen a stock Chinese SKS with that (Yugo M59/66s have threaded muzzles..though a very different thread from the AK pattern).  Could it have been imported that way?  Certainly, but the easier explanation is that Bubba got his hands on it and decided to install a muzzle device.  Looks like a std. left hand thread that an AK would use.
You sir, Freaking Rock! Tons of helpful info for sure. I too really like the stock grain. I did forget to mention that is has a very shinny bore like maybe chrome lined? One question though, what makes a gun C&R eligible?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 11:13:24 PM »
All Chinese type 56s are chrome lined. 

To be eligible as a C&R the gun has to be in original military configuration (so no plastic stocks or permanent mods with aftermarket stuff)  It has to be either 50 year old or older, or it has to be on the BATF's Curios and Relics list (see http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=209.msg2006#msg2006 for some basic info as to the whys.  Be aware that that post is from 2014 so it is out of date and needs to be refreshed...I've been meaning to do that for a while now, just haven't gotten to it yet.)