Author Topic: Prewar Type 14 Nambu  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Prewar Type 14 Nambu
« on: September 29, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »
Little local auction had this little gem, one I have put off for a while, it was I want one...but, it's an odd little bird, looks kinda like a Luger, operates kinda like a C96 broomhandle, and the caliber, 8x22mm is all but extinct, save for a handful of boutique, expensive buck-a-bang ammo companies.. enough with excuses, screw it, I scratched that itch and got it over with.. oh, yeah...and that whats his face Ruger guy copied the overall basic design for his pistol.  It's a prewar Type 14 Nambu, first give-a-way is the small trigger guard...near as I can tell, it was built in April 1935..it is considered a transitional Kokura pistol, as it falls right in that serial range. This particular serial range runs between around 31900 and 35400. Everything is matching, save for the magazine, but it has the correct numbers, just in the incorrect sequence. Only real issue it someone kept working the safety around, and around, and around, cutting a circular mark on it. The bore has a shine that I didn't expect after I evicted who knows how many years of dust bunny families.  It's also yet another, I haven't found any sign of import stamps...so it may be a pre '68 import or......a bringback .

Itch scratched..  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Prewar Type 14 Nambu
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:46:35 PM »
Nice, that’s a clean looking little gem!  thumb1

I hadn’t thought of it as the inspiration for the Ruger .22 pistols but now that you mention it the similarity in appearance is striking.

Someone must have developed a nervous tic with that safety  bat1 Perhaps some Japanese lieutenant who was not looking forward to his next (last?) Banzai charge.

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
A lot of those trigger guards were upgraded to the larger version.  It's not rare to find an original small guard, but call it scarce.

Guaranteed that the idiot safety scratch came after it was 'liberated'.  The Japanese took a lot of pride in their equipment and training.  It's also hard to find one that wasn't at least tried to turn upside down, mostly as a mistaken step while attempting field strip before youtube videos.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 09:21:06 AM »
nice! I'm liking different.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!