Author Topic: FN Hi Power clone  (Read 4897 times)

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
FN Hi Power clone
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:10 PM »
 Hey folks, just thought I would share my latest GB buy. Its probably made by FEG with fake FN stamping. Its all matching numbers and relatively tight with a nice bore. My first handgun was a Browning Hi Power new in 81 but I sold it to a friend who wanted it for his part time cop duty gun. Anyway, I was never a big fan of the 9 but all ways liked Brownings last design before he passed away. So for the winning bid of $280, and $347 OTD of my local Pawn shop, its in its new home. Should be a good shooter from the looks of it. I thought I would do a size compare with my Lahti M40. Same barrel length on both guns but big difference in size and the Lahti is an artillery piece at 3/4 lb heavier. I still like it tho....

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: FN Hi Power clone
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:30:14 AM »
Good snag on the highpower XT...  I really like that m40, but I know little tk nothing about them.  Are they more/less a redesigned luger?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
Way to go on the HP, but honestly I find the M 40 more fascinating!! I've never seen or even heard of those before now, maybe a "feature" on it is in order?!

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »
The Lahti looks like a Mauser Broomhandle action thrown into a Luger cannon & frame. Awesome pistols.
Dig the HP too  8)
I'm trying to replace the one I just dumped.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:43:24 PM by Blicero »
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 01:21:46 AM »
 Thanks for the comments guy's. The Husqvarna M40 (Lahti) is an interesting gun.  Aimo Lahti was a top gun designer in Finnland sarting in 1921. His stats are here  Aimo Lahti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  . I wanted one of these "poor man" Lugers for a number of years and in 2012 I finaly didn't get hurt too badly on GB with paying about $500 total for the one you see. The first model was the Finnish made L35 and are crazy hi in value these days. When I first started looking into the much cheaper Swedish made M40 about 5 years ago, they were running $350- $450 for decent shape ones and now those prices are long gone. The early M40 has a bit of a bad rep for cracking slides due to war time scarcity (cost) of good metal, they used a poorer quality for a number of years of production. This problem was finally remedied with a redesigned slide. Here I have pictured an outward raised rib that was added on the left side for more strength and these newer slides were apparently made with the proper steel. The refit of the newer slides on the existing inventory of military and police arms was thought to have been in the early 60's. But by then the M40 was being dropped from service. I have seen several older left side flat recievered guns for sale on GB and folks think they are as good as any but they are not.  Here is the rib circled.

As you can see, Lahti took the Luger design and simplified it  to the point where it would be far more reliable in Sevier winter weather. My M40 is the less common small ring "police" trigger guard where as the picture above shows the larger & beefier military contract trigger guard.  The Luger is far more compact and lighter since these guns run about 2.75 lbs unloaded but they are fairly accurate shooters. Sarco originaly had about all the parts that were imported and Numrich bought a crap load of M40 parts off them at some point. I picked up a brand new upper receiver assembly with complete bolt from Numrich back in 2012 when I got the gun for under $200 bucks. They still have a lot of parts (under Lahti) but those recievers are long gone now. I bought an 9mm barrel that I was going to make a long barrel Artilery top end since the gun is cut for the Luger shoulder stock. But like a dozen other projects, its still waiting for me to piece it together...... If I ever get it done, you guys will see it here.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:41:19 AM »
Nice pistols!  Thanks for the additional write up on the M40.  Really useful info about the slide for anyone considering acquiring one of these. Thanks!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 07:14:34 AM »
Nice pistols!  Thanks for the additional write up on the M40.  Really useful info about the slide for anyone considering acquiring one of these. Thanks!

+1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 04:41:48 PM »
Damn you Walt. I've been salivating for one of those for a long time! By the way plateau outdoors across from advance auto parts has the cheapest transfers around. Dave's sucks! Plateau is cheaper than Tabors pawn but I like Tabors best!