Author Topic: New to me Norinco Bubba, what do I have here?  (Read 3993 times)

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
Re: New to me Norinco Bubba, what do I have here?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 04:59:38 PM »
Let me try and be a little more clear so you guys stop me from doing something stupid. I will make the cut at 16.5. Machine the barrel to accept the modified front sight as noted in the pic above. Then thread for a muzzle brake. I printed some data off of the CNC Warrior website. It looks, as you have all said that there is not enough material for 5/8 x 24. I am not going to buy anything until the cut and machine work is done and measured again.

I read somewhere that the front sight pins are 3mm. If that is true what do you all think about using a 3mm endmill cutter in a drill press. I would press on the front sight and use the pins hole as a guide. I have a nice press and an older big drill press in very nice shape.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 05:50:59 PM »
Bear in mind, if you cut the barrel back to 16.5" you may need to drill out the gas port as well otherwise it will short cycle due to the gas escaping too quickly because of the shortened barrel. Now, I'll add a couple other things into the mix.
1. On Echo1's pic, the 3rd rifle down, if that is the one you are referring to he simply cut the barrel down and added a Prince50 Paratrooper clamp-on front sight. It is aftermarket and bolts onto the rifle without any machine work needed to the barrel.(other than cut and crown)
2. If you cut right behind the FSB where it steps up, that is approximately 17.25". It is a safe in-between length so you don't have to mess with the gas port. You can still take an annular cutter to hand-machine down the barrel(CNC makes the kit up to 2" in depth) and do your modified FSB if you desire, or you can simply crown it there and buy the aftermarket front sight I mentioned.

And yes, I believe the pins are 3mm and yes, if you can lock down your action and get your position marked properly a round end mill bit in a drill press can work if you can lock the depth to get consistent passes so as to get a correct position to 12 O'clock and depth.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 06:06:15 PM »
More to think about. Thanks!

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 06:20:34 PM »
The black rifle came with a poor non-square cut at 18.5", and no front sight base. What was left of the OG muzzle tip I left so it would have some resemblance of stock. It's a little over thinking on the pinning of the FSB. You can eyeball it square, etch a mark, eye ball a shallow channel with a jeweler's file, then pin. But I have a FSB removing tool, which is handy for that job. 

The cheese greater rifle is cut at 16.5", standard Para length, but I suppose you could cut it shorter and have 16.5" with the brake. Then you may have to open the gas port. Going forward for me, if I cut any more, I'm leaving enough for the FBS. I've done 3 that way. PAX
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:50:19 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »
I didn't shoot this rifle since I bought it, weather's been nasty. The sheriffs range is open Thursday and it's supposed to be 65 degrees. It has a lead sled so I am going to try and get a before and after on the accuracy. Why I don't know.

As soon as the shootings done I will remove the sight and get a look at the pin groove. The file gives me an idea. My table on the drill press is big. I could secure the whole thing down level, put the file in my drillpress and roll the barrel into the spinning file.

What's that sight puller look like. I'm a gearhead with tons of pullers and was thinking about how to make one.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 09:54:08 PM »
The front sight base retaining pins are 2.5mm diameter.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 11:08:18 PM »
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 09:40:32 AM »
Thanks guys.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 09:53:06 AM »
As a side note, since PAX posted on the tools, I emailed Matrix and the owner got back to me. He does not produce the pin removal tool anymore. He said too many people were breaking the pin driver portion of it. He does still have the FSB puller and install tools.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 10:33:19 AM »
As a side note, since PAX posted on the tools, I emailed Matrix and the owner got back to me. He does not produce the pin removal tool anymore. He said too many people were breaking the pin driver portion of it. He does still have the FSB puller and install tools.

Yeah, I called him a couple years ago and he said the same thing, which I could imagine. The last 2 SARCO builds I did, I had to take the actions to a smith to remove 2 I couldn't. I destroyed a few punches trying and so did the smith. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 12:10:52 PM »
Oh boy, sounds like fun. I ordered the two tools he does produce this morning.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 02:05:13 PM »
I've used a 3/32 starter punch or nail set and a bench block to get those pins in and out.Helps a lot to have the action out of the stock then jigged level and clamped to a bench to perform those operations.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:56:13 PM by Bubbazinetti »
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 03:53:09 PM »
I've used a 3/32 starter punch or nail set and a bench block to get those pins in and out.Helps a lot to have the action out of the stack then jigged level and clamped to a bench to perform those operations.

The 2 SARCO units I got must have been stored in an Albanian salt mine for 50 years. Bad corrosion everywhere except inside the receivers and the barrels. One FSB pin was easy to punch out, the other 3 were "fused" to the barrel. One I completely butchered, because I knew I was chopping the sight globe off, the other one I saved the complete FSB. One action I cut to 18.5" to stay legit in a Shernic bull pup. That length and a Ramline brake kept OAL to 30.5". The other got bobbed to 16.5" and a P50 installed. I ended up tradin that Para build for a Cowboy Companion barreled action. I had the T89 mount and a correct inletted stock to assemble as a CC. PAX
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:00:51 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 02:55:44 PM »
On a wholly unrelated note - Lowell, do you have a 66 Dodge Dart?
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 03:02:09 PM »
On a wholly unrelated note - Lowell, do you have a 66 Dodge Dart?

My spousal unit had one. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 03:05:04 PM »
That's a nice ride.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
Used to. I drag raced it for about 10 years. It would run a high nine in the quarter if I let it. It was a social thing really. Then track management changed, friends quit racing, race gas and fees doubled etc. Around that same time bought my grandfathers property right on the Mississippi river. Built a house, shop and tractor shed. Bought a tractor, and another and so on so sold the car. Currently have five anywhere from 35 to 125 hp. I plant 4000 stalks of Perique Tobacco every spring. Any of you smoke cigars there are blends out there with this tobacco. Only grows in this parish and only about 20 or so of us left doing it. I'm 4th generation on this land to do it. It's my exercise program that pays me.

Missed the car so got a military Humvee and went through it top to bottom. Had fun with it but wife didn't want to drive it so sold it and bought a 2016 Challenger R/T Shaker. Now that thing is fun.

Finally getting around to setting up my gun room and going to start reloading again and shooting more. Have a few Polytech M1A's that I reload for. Also have a Shuff's Mini G that I need to buy dies for. He did a BM59 para for me too.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 09:57:07 PM »
Got to the range today. Windy as hell but warm anyway. The gun went bang so now I know it works. Had an OLD Weaver scope on it and with one adjustment had it shooting nice.

The pins on the front sight assembly came right out. From what I see with my cheapo calipers the 14x1 left hand thread is the way to go. Going to bring it by my retired machinist buddy tomorrow to do some measuring and come up with a plan.

Still wanting to go 16.5. Would the addition of the comp/brake help the gas port issue any?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 10:08:42 PM »
Got to the range today. Windy as hell but warm anyway. The gun went bang so now I know it works. Had an OLD Weaver scope on it and with one adjustment had it shooting nice.

The pins on the front sight assembly came right out. From what I see with my cheapo calipers the 14x1 left hand thread is the way to go. Going to bring it by my retired machinist buddy tomorrow to do some measuring and come up with a plan.

Still wanting to go 16.5. Would the addition of the comp/brake help the gas port issue any?

Depends on the design. I would do what you want to do then test her out. If you get short cycle then open up the port. Just remember, a little is a lot.
You may even get lucky and not have any issues.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2021, 12:55:05 AM »
Don't forget if you go to 16.5" you'll need an annular cutter for 14X1 LHT die. I don't know the specs, my bud has the tools, I just borrow them from him. PAX
  You need a crew