Author Topic: Factory 141 Chinese Public Security SKS  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: Factory 141 Chinese Public Security SKS
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »
I wish I had known to look for these.
There were Romy sewer pipes everywhere for cheap in Arizona.
Way back when (early 90's), there were cardboard barrels in every Mom & Pop gun store with Chicom SKS's for $29.99

Romanian what? SKS... Mauser?

SKS's.
LOTS of Turk Mausers a few years later. Then Russian capture K98's. A smattering of Russian capture P08's, P38's, and even a few C96's.
And the parts kits! Oh lordy, the parts kits.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 02:55:15 PM »
Way back when (early 90's), there were cardboard barrels in every Mom & Pop gun store with Chicom SKS's for $29.99

SKS's.
LOTS of Turk Mausers a few years later. Then Russian capture K98's. A smattering of Russian capture P08's, P38's, and even a few C96's.

Far as I know.. the first batch of Romanian SKSs came in around mid/late 2000, followed by several smaller batches, then a rather large batch sometime later, just before the Sino-Banians arrived. A Romanian SKS having a chrome bore, like a Chinese, I've never seen or even heard of a Romanian SKSs with a sewer pipe barrel.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 03:17:29 PM »

SKS's.

Far as I know.. the first batch of Romanian SKSs came in around mid/late 2000, followed by several smaller batches, then a rather large batch sometime later, just before the Sino-Banians arrived. A Romanian SKS having a chrome bore, like a Chinese, I've never seen or even heard of a Romanian SKSs with a sewer pipe barrel.

You're likely right about the date. I'm bad with dates.
However, every Romy I personally saw, granted not all that many, had horrible bores. Really bad. All black, a lot with really bad pitting.
I think a buddy still has one. I see if I can get him to dig it out for evidence.

Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »
You're likely right about the date. I'm bad with dates.
However, every Romy I personally saw, granted not all that many, had horrible bores. Really bad. All black, a lot with really bad pitting.
I think a buddy still has one. I see if I can get him to dig it out for evidence.

I have 4 Romanians.. 2 are from the first import batch, one is a little later and the last was from the last import batch and shows the most use and wear of the bunch, also, not a single part matches. All 4 have bores, the chrome is just as shiny as any Chinese I have, even ones I've checked at numerous shows and I passed on cause something else was on my mind were shiny bright.

One of the ones I got came directly from the importer..it had grease and grunge in the barrel and was black, the stock was even sticky to just to touch, .. a few patches later, that bore gleamed like the front bumper on a '57 Plymouth.

I would be very interested to see a blown out chrome lined bore on a Romanian SKS.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 05:06:00 PM »
It would be interesting to know some numbers  thumb1

Somewhere, I remember reading there was 3 pallets brought in... No clue on how many that would equal, I'm guessing a couple hundred. I don't see them as being that rare.. they seem to show up more than the... Albanians or Romanians, but also in lower numbers than than Russians, Yugos or many other Chinese.

More like uncommon..so

I could see possibly 3 conex boxes... legally, weight wise... you could haul roughly 5050 8.5 pound SKS's down the road in a conex box with "no" packing material, thats between 42000 and 43000 pounds of SKS rifles. Figuring in some pallets and shipping material.. with 3 shipping containers.. you end up with a lower number(shipping material equals weight), so somewhere between 9,000 and 12,000 SKS's spread between 3 boxes. The number could be a little lower if they were shipped in the 10 rifle wooden crates.

Even at 9000 Public Security rifles..... your at almost twice the number of Albanians that's estimated to have been imported and still just a very small fraction of the Russian/Yugoslavian/vast other Chinese rifles imported.

2-3 pallets via KFS is what I had always heard in internet lore, as well. If it were 200 guns total in PS carbines, then I'd be satisfied that they were 'somewhat' rare. I'm not sure what the count on State-side Albanians is currently, but I'd think 200 would come in as somewhat rare, too. I think I counted 138 Alby's on our Alby SN list.  I'd be very surprised if the number was in the 9000 gun range for the PS carbines. We'd be tripping across them at a much higher rate, IMO. And it seems for the most part, the PS carbines are in pretty good condition, wood-wise. The one I own doesn't have a single dent or scratch in the wood. They had to be brought in via crates or individual boxes for that outcome. I haven't heard of or seen any "special" Chinese crates. I guess there were Chinese crates? I don't remember seeing one now that I think of it. There would have been a bunch of them! Russian and Yugo, I've seen. I remember seeing pics of 10 Chinese SKS' tied together with rope. That's probably where all the bolt carrier "kisses" came from on the stocks!  thumb1 I'm sure someone will whip out dozens of pics of Chinese crates now... :)

I'll call KFS again this week and find out if they'll enlighten us with any new numbers. If they will, I'll try to get them to put any new information on their company email or stationary for more of an "official" statement.

RM, I'll let you guys know if they want anything from the 'Files. At one time I was hoping to get someone there to post here or even start a vendor acct. with us. Since they got into the "parts and accessories" market, I'm not sure they need the forum platform, in their minds. It would certainly attract more attention to them for Polytech and KFS-imported guns, IMO. I thought they had started into that area with the "Certificates of Authenticity" they offer. We'll see...

firstchoice

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 05:12:16 PM »

I didn't want one, but for that price, everybody was buying them.
A couple of months later, some of the guys at the shop where I worked would sell them to me for 20 or 30 bucks because they needed beer money.
I had my original purchase, plus 5 or 6 more in a closet. They were just cheap Chicom guns.
When prices rose to 70 or 80 bucks, I started selling the closet inventory.

Hindsight being 20-20, I should have sat on all of them.
I also wish I had known what to search for.

I think that sentiment is shared by all of us here, Larry D. If we could have jumped ahead from say, 1987-1988 to now and read the SKS-Files facts and data, we'd all be sitting pretty, eh? If only...

firstchoice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
But.. I wonder how many exist that aren't reported or have any photos taken. Lots of people own them and don't frequent forums or share what they have.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 05:34:02 PM »
But.. I wonder how many exist that aren't reported or have any photos taken.

Most

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 12:17:34 AM »
Mine isn't.
I'm too computer illiterate to post pictures, but if someone want them, I'm happy to send them.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 09:17:02 PM »
My 2 Romys must have come from the final batch. I think I got them about 8 years ago, matching & forced match in a couple places. The bores are nice. I'm happy that I picked them up when I did. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 10:25:38 PM »
My 2 Romys must have come from the final batch. I think I got them about 8 years ago, matching & forced match in a couple places. The bores are nice. I'm happy that I picked them up when I did. PAX

If I buy the Romanian im looking at on Gunbroker and two more ill have 3. rofl

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 12:12:47 AM »

DC,

There's a nice '59 Romy over on Calguns for a fair price, but still to $pendy for me. I'd try and put the beat down on it, but I got 5 SKSs on a Kali DOJ "delay delivery" as we speak. 2 Paratroopers, 2 SARCO rigs, and a Romy action, so I'm 30 days out on those pieces  :(. I've got my hack saw & Dremal to the ready. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 11:20:44 PM »

DC,

There's a nice '59 Romy over on Calguns for a fair price, but still to $pendy for me. I'd try and put the beat down on it, but I got 5 SKSs on a Kali DOJ "delay delivery" as we speak. 2 Paratroopers, 2 SARCO rigs, and a Romy action, so I'm 30 days out on those pieces  :(. I've got my hack saw & Dremal to the ready. PAX

You have my 'planned' annual SKS budget wrapped up in fees there alone. Not that things ever go as planned. :)

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »
DC,
You have my 'planned' annual SKS budget wrapped up in fees there alone. Not that things ever go as planned. :)

He's my go to FFL and only charged me $25 bucks for all 5 actions.  Any other Kali FFL it'd be a few hunnerd to receive & transfer. I picked up a mess of ammo from him too. He's going to let his 01 lapse, so I've tried to utilize him as often as I can. I'm the only one doing transfers with him for the last couple years. He's liquidating his iron and has some Commie pistols I've been eyeballing  ::) PAX
  You need a crew