Author Topic: 1958 Romanian  (Read 3219 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
1958 Romanian
« on: January 29, 2022, 08:13:53 PM »
From the year that the WWII-era occupation of Romania ended by the Soviets, a nice little Romanian SKS in a dark red stock reminiscent of a Soviet SKS-45 stock, but it's clearly the original numbered Romanian beech stock.

This is an online auction score from a couple of weeks ago that arrived Thursday. Alas it has the often observed mismatched gas tube and gas piston. Nice that the handguard color is also dark to match the stock.

I took pictures yesterday and had to use the flash for the closeups of the serial numbers, even though it was 1.5 hours before sunset. The cloud layer gets very thick here in the winter sometimes  :o

Yum, grease!  :)

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
Re: 1958 Romanian
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 09:19:39 PM »
Nice snag man.... sweet little Romey.  I really like mine and your snagged a good one.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 10:17:19 PM »
Nice snag man.... sweet little Romey.  I really like mine and your snagged a good one.

Thanks man! I just need a 1959, and I'll have all 4 years. This is definitely my nicest looking one, although my first (1957) is a favorite shooter and like this one just has the mismatched gas piston and tube.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 01:06:21 AM »
 rockon I'm just gonna say it.. it's a breath of fresh air to see something other than a Russian or a Chinese..   I thought all the Romanians we're gone.  :)  So, it's mismatched, that's socially acceptable in these ranks, can't see them numbers looking thru the sights anyway. And it still has the full shellac finish, one of mine has absolutely none remaining.

So.. uhm Phos, ol buddy... ol pal.. how's about sending that wonderous sexy hunk of Romanian goodness my way, no sense in letting it or any Romanian suffer and languish in such a cloudy dank environment.  thumb1

You knowed I was gonna ask..  :) 
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 04:57:11 AM »
That's a one of the nicer '58's I have seen. Congrats! And you should send it to me I hear that my 2nd cousin on my Mom's side used to carry that rifle. To prove it, I can tell you that it's the "rare knife model" not many Romanian SKS's had the "rare/scarce knife" attached. My Mom's cousin did that, Thanks for understanding I will PM my address.  :)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 08:22:34 AM »
That's a really nice one. Good going Phos clap1 PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 05:24:20 PM »
rockon I'm just gonna say it.. it's a breath of fresh air to see something other than a Russian or a Chinese..   I thought all the Romanians we're gone.  :)  So, it's mismatched, that's socially acceptable in these ranks, can't see them numbers looking thru the sights anyway. And it still has the full shellac finish, one of mine has absolutely none remaining.

So.. uhm Phos, ol buddy... ol pal.. how's about sending that wonderous sexy hunk of Romanian goodness my way, no sense in letting it or any Romanian suffer and languish in such a cloudy dank environment.  thumb1

You knowed I was gonna ask..  :)

Definitely a nice firearm produced by the people of Romania back in the not so good old days

Have no fear, it's supposed to be sunny the next couple of days, so it'll be okay here after all, but thanks for caring  :) chuckles1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 05:26:44 PM »
That's a one of the nicer '58's I have seen. Congrats! And you should send it to me I hear that my 2nd cousin on my Mom's side used to carry that rifle. To prove it, I can tell you that it's the "rare knife model" not many Romanian SKS's had the "rare/scarce knife" attached. My Mom's cousin did that, Thanks for understanding I will PM my address.  :)

Thanks a bunch Bob!  thumb1 It's definitely the nicest of my Romanian trio.

"Rare knife model" Yeah, that's a classic  chuckles1

It's great to hear about the family connection. I'll be sure to honor it by keeping it safe and warm in my gun room  :) 8)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 05:27:12 PM »
That's a really nice one. Good going Phos clap1 PAX

Thanks PAX!  thumb1 8)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 09:34:49 PM »
Not so good old days..  rofl  oh come on.. it's hard to top a rifle from the country of 'ol Vlad Țepeș.

If there's one country I have to visit before I leave this hunk a rock, it's Romania.  Maybe a side trip to Czechoslovakia..   but, Romania is in my bucket list.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 11:52:02 PM »
That's just gorgeous, phos.

Nice catch!

IMHO, the ep serials on the piston and tube are anon-issue. I've got a 1960 beauty queen in a similar matching state.

I really like the even dark finish too.

Is there an EP on the butt plat

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 12:16:10 AM »
Not so good old days..  rofl  oh come on.. it's hard to top a rifle from the country of 'ol Vlad Țepeș.

If there's one country I have to visit before I leave this hunk a rock, it's Romania.  Maybe a side trip to Czechoslovakia..   but, Romania is in my bucket list.

When I was in dairy, the VP took a group of engineers to Romania and built 2 pasteurizing facilities somewhere remote. 3 weeks and they were out of there. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 09:45:15 AM »
That's just gorgeous, phos.

Nice catch!

IMHO, the ep serials on the piston and tube are anon-issue. I've got a 1960 beauty queen in a similar matching state.

I really like the even dark finish too.

Is there an EP on the butt plate

Thanks Boris! I do like the looks of this one. I'm definitely not crying over the mismatched gas tube and piston  :))  I've come to expect that with the Romanians. My 1957 is in the same situation. My 1960 is a mixmaster rescue.

No EP on the buttplate but it does have a cleaning kit tucked inside.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 11:15:15 AM »
I am not familiar with the minutiae of cleaning kit variations. Do you have any idea if the kit is uniquely Romanian? 

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 05:14:57 PM »
Bah horsetrash gun because of that mismatch.  I'll take it off your hands for a couple hundred bucks out of the goodness of my heart.  GM doesn't need yet another Romy, he has too many as it is!  rofl

That's a very nice one P32!  Did you just happen upon it on the broker, or how did it catch your eye?

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 05:52:47 PM »
I am not familiar with the minutiae of cleaning kit variations. Do you have any idea if the kit is uniquely Romanian?

I'm not an expert on cleaning kits either. There are three small to tiny markings. One looks like it could be an incomplete Cugir triangle, but if it is, it was struck extremely offset on the curved surface, I'm about 10% certain it's a Cugir marking. The other two are no help at all but don't appear to be Cyrillic, so that suggests they aren't Russian.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2022, 06:01:35 PM »
Bah horsetrash gun because of that mismatch.  I'll take it off your hands for a couple hundred bucks out of the goodness of my heart.  GM doesn't need yet another Romy, he has too many as it is!  rofl

That's a very nice one P32!  Did you just happen upon it on the broker, or how did it catch your eye?

Quite a generous offer RM, though it may be quite a bit less than I paid for it  ;) rofl

Thanks! I got it off of Proxibid (Montrose Auctions). It was quite a bit less than I'd expect to pay on GunBroker for one in this condition. It's hard to find really serious bargains these days, but I'm very happy with this one for a couple of movie tickets shy of six Benjamins.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2022, 10:25:55 PM »
Too many Romanians...  nea1 that's like too many Mosins, too many bullets, too many Acuras..it just ain't possible...

I'll see RM's offer and up it a Benjamin, a 1/2 a mason jar of uhm.. err... well, jet fuel and 16 freshly emptied 45-70 cases..  they still have that black powder smell.  :)

Proxibid bla bla.. bahhh who needs that, we got the Files.  rofl rofl2

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2022, 05:27:58 PM »
Thats all candy right there Phos.  Those were my favorites in that group with that darker color. Many sold from AIM back 2010 11 somewhere in there and im sure you remember. But not in that condition!! Must not have seen the trench !!  Nice addition and a tint of added aroma to the surplus room  :) thumb1  I missed that one. Looks like you posted awhile ago. Im missing the 57.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2022, 07:52:05 PM »
Like DC, I somehow missed this post back in January. Nice catch Phosthumb1

I'm not seeing many of the Romy's offered anymore. Great to see a member here finding one of the nicer ones. That stock color is awesome!

firstchoice