Author Topic: Balkans K98k  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
Balkans K98k
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:10:48 PM »
A Balkans K98k that is a total mix-master on SN's and Waffenamts. The stock has an interesting repair, that gives it character. The butt-plate which is in the white has been painted orange on the backside, all the Waffentamts and Swastikas on the barrel and receiver have been scrubbed (Not pinged or lined out but ground off). There are Waffenamts on the rest of the other smaller parts.

What I have figured out I think! Late war stamped front band, late war stamped floor plate, pre-early war milled trigger guard with capture screws. Bolt has the oval vent holes, stock has the take down washer, cleaning rod hole and the front band/nose cap has the bayonet lug. The stock is an early/mid war stock, which would not be on a DOT 44 rifle....Correct or incorrect?

Found a very lightly EP'd SN on the bolt stem, almost missed it. There is no X on the receiver anywhere! The stock has a SN in the barrel channel and on the hand guard. The original SN on the bolt was 5709 with a letter, this is on the root of the bolt handle. All the other parts are stamped 1630 with what looks like a very very faint EP'd 1630 on the bolt stem (but also looks like other numbers when looked at from different angles, magnifying glass doesn't make it easier or clearer to read).

The rifle doesn't seemed to be re-blued, painted, hot dipped like the Russians did. From what I am told it doesn't fit the Russian captured, Romanian captured, Yugoslavia captured look! There is no bolt SN engraved onto the top of the bolt like Russian captures normally have. So where did this gun end up after the war? Who scrubbed it? Any input is greatly appreciated. Wherever it ended up at in the Balkans it was well used.....

The rifle came with 40 rounds of PPU ammo still in the box and 60 rounds marked bxn 51 on stripper clips.

Waffenamts:

Barrel band Waffenamt 655, Nose cap Waffenamt 214, Take down washer Waffenamt 214, Floor plate Waffenamt 135, Barrel band spring Waffenamt 135, Trigger guard assembly Waffenamt WaA63 and WaA83 (Maybe 63 poorly struck), Magazine follower Weimar Eagle 45

Serial numbers:

Barrel: 2802 ah, Rear sight, rear sight base: 2802, Rear sight slide: 02, Rear barrel band: 3578, Nose cap: 77, Trigger guard/housing: 3783, Magazine floor plate: 7819, Magazine follower: 31, Bolt body/handle root: 5709 and unknown single letter, lined out, Bolt safety catch, cocking piece, bolt sleeve: 1630, Bolt stem: 1630 very lightly EP’d, Handguard: 5082.

Other stampings:

Shield Dot 13, EV,
GPC W Hurley NY import stamp (Gun Parts Corporation aka Numrich)

As a added note, my Opa (My moms dad) ended up being shipped from Holland in 1943 to the Waffenwerke Brünn I factory in Czechoslovakia where these rifles were made. So he was there as slave labor when this rifle was made.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:14:50 PM by Ret-Sarge »
Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Offline Hotrod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
Re: Balkans K98k
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:11:38 PM »
I can’t help with any of your questions, but that is an interesting K98

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 12:14:34 PM »
LOVE! that stock.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 08:45:51 PM »
Like Larry, I love the stock, especially the repairs.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:04:42 PM »
I totally missed this 13 month old post. It most closely resembles a Romanian capture K98k. It's a total mixmaster and the Romanians always ground or peened the swastikas.