Author Topic: My first Nodak/Spud  (Read 363 times)

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
My first Nodak/Spud
« on: March 21, 2023, 05:37:47 PM »
Hi all. This is my last purchase most likely before Washington goes haywire with the AWB. Never owned a Nodak/Spud, let alone a AK in 5.56. Can anyone shed any light into these builds? Good/bad/ugly?  They use regular Yugo 5.56 mags? Will Chinese 5.56 AK mags work? The fake can is pinned and welded.
Patch

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: My first Nodak/Spud
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 07:59:18 PM »
I believe NoDak Spud only ever made receivers, not complete builds. Their receivers are good to go. Therefore, with respect to overall build quality, it would depend on who the builder was that put yours together. Not sure about the mag compatibility question.

I sure like the looks of it. I'm thinking of getting a faux 6" suppressor for a 300 BLK AR complete upper with a 10.5" barrel, since a pistol brace is no longer an option. Good to see that something similar in the AK platform looks cool  8)

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 12:45:29 AM »
You are correct.  I was reminded of that in a different forumn. I need to get this in hand so I can take a peak at it.... :)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 10:20:33 PM »
Hey Pat;

Nice AK. Always heard good things about the Nodak Spud receivers. As Phos32 said, it depends on the builder. Check your rivets when you get it in hand.

That mag reminds me of the Weiger mags that were used on the early Romanian SAR-3 5.56mm guns. Does it have the two buttons on the floorplate of the mag? They're harder to find and a bit pricey, but work good. I'm not aware of any actual Yugo-made 5.56 mags but I get educated just about every day.  thumb1

The Chinese 5.56 mags rarely interchange with anything other than the Chinese guns. Not sure what the differences are but many tried and failed. I don't like altering receivers or expensive mags to "make 'em work". Just my opinion.

firstchoice