Author Topic: Scope Covers  (Read 2806 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Scope Covers
« on: December 24, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
I picked up an auction lot consisting of a bunch of SKS parts. Hey, who doesn't need spares in the bin. A couple of receiver cover based scope mounts were in the lot. I'm clueless in this area, so I'd appreciate some help with identification or rampant speculation for fun  rofl

#1. Labeled rather unambiguously "Made in China" and has the Arsenal /416\ mark, which I found interesting. Dovetail style rail mount that has a stop toward the muzzle end to prevent the scope rings from sliding forward off of the mounting rail.

#2. I assume is some US made piece, but actually quite well constructed. Rectangular shaped co-witness tunnel under the rail.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Scope Covers
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 01:02:28 AM »
The second mount isn't listed on Joe's post with all the mounts...perhaps it wasn't recoverable after the PB flush.
I have two like it, both VERY nice compared to most. all steel milled construction. One is unmarked...but the other is marked BEC NORINCO or something along those lines. If there is enough metal left to fit something...I would call it a keeper out of the two.

The /416\ mounts are supposedly pretty crummy, but are made from unserialed original receiver covers...so it must be the mount itself...I find the arsenal stamp kind of intriguing, but I could see myself grinding off the welds for a blank cover. I can't decide whether they are nifty or goofy looking.  I wonder if these were the reason why the Red Star scopes always came with dovetail rings.  Talk about more stuff in the parts drawer. I have several sets of those dang rings. :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »
I "had" one very similar to #2... I still have the box, it may have been made by the same company, Cobray, maybe just a revision or something..

What I meant by I "had", that mount and me had sort of a falling out.......never would hold zero, no matter what. bat1 But.. I solved the problem and it hasn't given me an issue since. thumb1 rofl2

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 03:29:02 PM »
I "had" one very similar to #2... I still have the box, it may have been made by the same company, Cobray, maybe just a revision or something..

What I meant by I "had", that mount and me had sort of a falling out.......never would hold zero, no matter what. bat1 But.. I solved the problem and it hasn't given me an issue since. thumb1 rofl2

:o rofl so you demilitarized that mount as a public service

Thanks for the info  thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
The second mount isn't listed on Joe's post with all the mounts...perhaps it wasn't recoverable after the PB flush.
I have two like it, both VERY nice compared to most. all steel milled construction. One is unmarked...but the other is marked BEC NORINCO or something along those lines. If there is enough metal left to fit something...I would call it a keeper out of the two.

The /416\ mounts are supposedly pretty crummy, but are made from unserialed original receiver covers...so it must be the mount itself...I find the arsenal stamp kind of intriguing, but I could see myself grinding off the welds for a blank cover. I can't decide whether they are nifty or goofy looking.  I wonder if these were the reason why the Red Star scopes always came with dovetail rings.  Talk about more stuff in the parts drawer. I have several sets of those dang rings. :)

Thanks for the info JH!  These are likely to move along at some point. Maybe I'll get a wild hair to try one on my Para...but I doubt it  :))

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »
:o rofl so you demilitarized that mount as a public service

Thanks for the info  thumb1

Yea... thats the term  thumb1  It just couldn't handle the pressure

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 05:03:16 PM »
GM's very subtle when it come to what he likes and doesn't. 

Question is, was that bucket off an excavator or a little JD 310 backhoe?  Heck of an operator to nail that little receiver cover mount on the first try like that.  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
That was my old antique semi-restored Owatonna/Mustang 1200, the Case 1840 I have, had the injection pump out for rebuild around that time. :)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 06:48:39 PM »
Phos, I keep looking for the "scope covers" mentioned in the subject line...were they already pictured, discussed, and dismissed?  Or, just not got to them yet? Hey, as slow as things have been on the board, I'm just trying not to miss anything...  :)  Trying to glean every piece of info I can!   thumb1

firstchoice

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »
Phos, I keep looking for the "scope covers" mentioned in the subject line...were they already pictured, discussed, and dismissed?  Or, just not got to them yet? Hey, as slow as things have been on the board, I'm just trying not to miss anything...  :)  Trying to glean every piece of info I can!   thumb1

firstchoice

Sorry, "aftermarket receiver covers with scope mounting rails" would probably be the more appropriate (though lengthy) term  :))

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »

firstchoice

Sorry, "aftermarket receiver covers with scope mounting rails" would probably be the more appropriate (though lengthy) term  :))

Ahh!  I get it now...thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I just didn't want to miss anything!

The /416\ mount never fit in with the quality that we had seen with the /416\ (386) PolyTech AK's and /416\ SKS, like the PS guns and the sort. (my opinion only)  Kind of an afterthought or last minute try at grabbing more Yankee dollars?

firstchoice