Author Topic: 3 rifles- SOS Haul  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
3 rifles- SOS Haul
« on: March 22, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
I went to SOS in Kentucky with k98 dreams on a Mosin budget. That didn't stop me from scrounging up some neat inexpensive milsurps.

First up is a Swede m96. This didn't come from the show, but rather a backwoods Kentucky pawn shop that we hit on the way home. This was my kind of shop, dusty, grungy, filled with people who spoke a language that I'm not sure could be called English. An ancient and rickety chocolate lab greeted everyone at the door.I about shat myself when I saw the sticker marked $225 on this Swede. As I was asking what their best number is, I was already reaching into my pockets and ignoring the response.

Next up is my favorite rifle of the bunch, a Swiss K11. This is a beautiful piece, all matching, mint bore. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but the sling is numbered matching to the gun. Incredible. It took the keen eye of a friend at my shooting range to point out the numbers on the sling.

The bolt on these guns are veritable beasts. The last pics show a K11 bolt next to the k31 bolt, kind of an interesting comparison.

I also notice the "P" on the receiver by the serial, which I interpret to be "private purchase." I've never been clear on what that actually means on a Swiss rifle. Does that mean a military rifle was released from service and sold to the general public? Any scholars out there care to educate me?

Lastly is a Long Branch Enfield, dated '42. This is a pretty cool wartime peace though I care little to nothing for Enfields. That $300 was just totally useless in my pocket at the time, I guess. I'm sure this will be gone sooner than later.

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: 3 rifles- SOS Haul
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »
Nice. A K11 is certsinly on my short list.

Were prices ridiculous this year Kevin?  How much merchandise was being moved vs just pawed and oogled?

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:05:19 PM »
General pricing was so high that, if I put my entire collection on the tables with the numbers I wanted to get for each piece, I would've sold out in hours. And I'm not bashful about asking Full Yankee Retail prices when it comes to dealing with Randoms at a gunshow. That's how much I would've undercut the competition.

Apparently there is not a Garand on earth worth less than $1500.
No Lugers below $1900.
No Colts below $2k.

No doubt there was plenty of stuff worth buying though, else the big money dealers would not burn a week of their lives and bankrolls in traveling to the event. You just need to be the first one to see it, a tall order in a room full of hawkeyed collectors and dealers.
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."

-LooseCannon

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:10:58 PM »
nice finds.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:41:38 PM »
Very nice haul!  thumb1

That M/96 is a good $100-150 below current market and might fetch a bit more from the right collector since 1922 is 5th on the rarity list, 5112 made (although the less than 100% matching status would be an offsetting ding).

The P (or P and a date) on your 1921 K11, or other Swiss rifles, meant released to the reservist. In other words, the former active duty soldier took his rifle home with him, as is the Swiss tradition.  That's why it's strategically inadvisable to mess with the little mountainous country with universally trained and nearly universally armed citizens  :o  :)

https://www.swisswaffen.com/?F=ASN&LP=TRD

Good looking Canadian No4 Mk1*  8) The Savage LEs bring a premium on the US market, not sure about the Longbranches.  People are saying that the LE market is running high right now so if parts are matching I would not be surprised to see this bring north of $400.  I sold a nice looking Fazakerley No4 Mk1 with a tired bore just a month ago for $380 BIN and the buyer thought it was a great deal.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »
Thanks Jon. A page like that is exactly what I tried and failed to find when looking into the Swiss rifle. Good stuff.
-Ramcke

-Ty O

-LooseCannon