Author Topic: SKS rifles with AK-47 magazine capability  (Read 34611 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: SKS rifles with AK-47 magazine capability
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 03:04:32 PM »
The description of the inside of the stock being rougher than normal might make you think someone very talented made it....but the op rod business has my interest piqued. It may be an attempt at tuning the system for the shorter barrel like they did with the SKSS perhaps?  This does have the short gas system from what I can see....correct?

I am tempted to take apart my Sporter to see if it has a different op rod as well....pretty sure it is the only op rod I have that hasn't gotten launched. rofl

It sure seems like it would likely be a prototype version of what eventually became the MC-5D....the amount of work put into the stock might have been deemed too intensive for what they could actually fetch for these back then. The AK mag release makes me wonder if these came after the MC-5D though....very interesting. I look forward to the pics. :)

The op rod in my SKSNR that uses Ak mags with the short gas system is a carbon copy of a normal SKS dimension wise.. really the only way I've seen that they tune them is to open up the gas port up slightly. The NR looks to have a slightly larger gas port than a normal SKS. And, it looks like someone used a wood chisel and a pocket knife to do the final fitting on it also.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 06:04:03 PM »
Receiver markings please.  :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline LKermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »
See newer posts.

KTF

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:31:13 AM by LKermit »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 06:24:11 PM »
Stock cutting/fitting don't look to bad.. :)

I was figuring a Dr. Hack'em up job like.......

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 07:07:01 PM »
Nice find!  I do not have an origin of that particular stock, however I do have another M in the database with that same exact stock.

Power Surge, I believe I may have sent something to Joe years ago, when I first acquired it.  Is there any way of knowing who submitted your example?  I am trying to get a firm Idea about this little rifle's value.  I will sell it or trade it, but want it to have its rightful place in the SKS pantheon, assuming it is authentic Chinese manufacture.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Later this week I intend to do a full photo shoot with lots of digital pics.  Will post them ASAP.

Kermie

It might be possible the pics I have are yours. I'll definitely be waiting on more detailed pics and we'll go from there!

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 08:06:50 PM »

Somebody chiseled that with a screwdriver. 

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 02:00:55 AM »

Please say that isn't your NR?!?! If it was a screwdriver...I think they might have even used a phillips....wow.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 02:36:51 AM »
That is the NR...I think it was made the year of the drunken monkey or the year of the hungry rat... whatever 1994 was in China. rofl2

It's like one of them old Ferrari 308GTS kit cars.. looks good on the outside, till you pop the hatch and see a VW 1600cc, when you were hoping for a F106 AB V8 with 4 Weber carbs. cry1

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 03:28:38 AM »
That is the NR...I think it was made the year of the drunken monkey or the year of the hungry rat... whatever 1994 was in China. rofl2

It's like one of them old Ferrari 308GTS kit cars.. looks good on the outside, till you pop the hatch and see a VW 1600cc, when you were hoping for a F106 AB V8 with 4 Weber carbs. cry1
rofl chuckles1 rofl2

Kind of makes me not want one as bad now. :)

Is that the NR norm?  They should have at least given the children sharper knives.  That kind of blows my mind a little...what was left of it. It makes my Sporter look like the aforementioned Ferrari....but without the bug power.  I wonder if my DB was made by a guy who transferred later to the NR plant to whittle your stock. I kinda feel bad for being one of the enablers that caused you to pick that one up. I wouldn't kick it out of the collection, but now I am not as jazzed to locate one vs. some of the other weird stuff they came up with in the Clinton era.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
Well.. one thing in it's defense, while it is ugly inside, the important thing is it just plain works. I took 6 rounds of 5 different types of ammo, mixed them all up and had the included magazine loaded randomly, all 30 went bang with no misfeeds or issues. So I figure 6 Yugo, 6 Wolf, 6 Brown Bear, 6 RAS and 6 WPA hollow point all fed randomly from one magazine without a hiccup, I'd keep it. :)

And it's actually not terrible to shoot, much like my MAK90 with the bunghole stock. About the only thing I have or need to do, is replace the recoil spring. I might even consider finding 20rd mags... I kind of favor the tanker mag look  rofl

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
Well.. one thing in it's defense, while it is ugly inside, the important thing is it just plain works. I took 6 rounds of 5 different types of ammo, mixed them all up and had the included magazine loaded randomly, all 30 went bang with no misfeeds or issues. So I figure 6 Yugo, 6 Wolf, 6 Brown Bear, 6 RAS and 6 WPA hollow point all fed randomly from one magazine without a hiccup, I'd keep it. :)

And it's actually not terrible to shoot, much like my MAK90 with the bunghole stock. About the only thing I have or need to do, is replace the recoil spring. I might even consider finding 20rd mags... I kind of favor the tanker mag look  rofl

I haven't fired my Sporter yet...it has been a year...but we burned all summer so outside was like Chernobyl most of the pleasant months.  I did realize last week I had it loaded with HP Wolf, and was concerned...reloaded with FMJ just so I wouldn't be let down. Nice to hear that it should perform like it's NR cousin with about anything.  My main complaint is it doesn't load any easier than duckbills...might even be worse since I am trying to baby the stock when trying. I have since shelved the thumbhole in favor of a whittled up ATI Strikeforce that the mags slip in like butter...and for the preservation of the stock....I am almost convinced it was only deflowered by the factory...if at all....but that is kind of shocking about the 'routing' of yours...mind blowing even.  The NRs seemed to have nicer wood used, I have seen so many Sporters with wood repairs that I would have thought the NRs got the special trees.  I also like the lack of the truck bed liner grip on the NR.

Pat hooked me up with a couple 30 rounders, one with the ridge down the back one without...and of course the standard 5 rounder. I really want to try that one out, but have had so many others pressing for attention it keeps getting left home.  I have some trials to run for the new Marcus adapter, and thought it might be fun to compare the two....so she might get a little action soon...finally.  Hopefully the mini monster truck will come out of the shop so I can make it to the local shooting spot without having to show up in a friggin Subaru.

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
Receiver markings please.  :)

If that post is addressed to me, here ya go

SKS M 7.62x39 MM     CBA VA BCH VA
MADE IN, CHINA BY NORINCO            93 6262x

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 07:22:33 AM »
Bizarre stock!   

I agree... Post more pics inside and out.

Obliging with four more.

I have a few more closeups of the inetting if need.

KTF

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
M Parts kit has arrived.
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 03:22:35 PM »
My chopped receiver M kit arrived today. 

The stock is extremely clean with only a couple of very minor blemishes, the parts are a little worn and obviously well used, but nice.   

The stub shows no serial number, but the bolt and carrier match.  The the only flaw I see is a rough
weld on the left side of the trigger group, at the rear where the trigger guard joins the frame.  the bluing looks original on it, so possibly a factory fix.  All in all, it was a great buy , in my mind.

Comments/observations welcomed.

KTF

Pics:

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
That's a late Sporter, with an M stock. Sporter and M are the same action, but you can see it's stamped SPORTER.

Looks like some nice parts. Those AK mag trigger groups bring good money because they are hard to find not part of a gun.

That gun could be repaired if you really wanted to put the effort into it.

BTW the original serial was 93 28367.

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2017, 04:43:14 AM »
Power Surge

As always, thank you for your information.  Always helpful, sir!

The receiver and other parts have been listed on Gunbroker.  The kind of precision work to bring that receiver back is well beyond me, and probably expensive to hire out, so....selling as is.  Hopefully someone can make good use it it.

I did add some better pics of the Mystery gunstock inletting, also. 

KTF
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:47:17 AM by LKermit »

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
Those short gas tubes and pistons also bring a bit of a premium like the trigger groups do.  They don't come up very often and a person who might want to bubba, yet retain their original parts would love to have a spare. I pounced on the first one I saw after searching for six months....and traded way more than it was worth just to get it off the market before anyone discovered what it was....the seller was aware what he had...darn it.

I have been kind of coveting one of these M stocks to put on my 92 Sporter....let me know if this ends up getting parted out. :)

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
Justin:

I have indeed listed all of the parts of the chopped Sporter, both on EBay and Gunbroker.

The trigger group has sold, but everything else is still up for awhile, at least.  I am selling a sweet NR, and have listed the "mystery" M as a "one of a kind", more to get it out in the public eye and check interest, but it IS for sale or trade, unofficially.  I would trade it for a nice D and cash on your end, but no crazy amount.  I want both parties in a trade get what they want, and keep it in the SKS family.  Might be interested in other trades, so ask away!  Worst I can say is no, but then I'll say, "What can you counter?

Check EBay under SKS gun parts, and SKS rifle parts for the stock and other components, the bolt and carrier as a unit, the barrel stub and cleaning rod.  All under my lkermit3749 user name.

Gunbroker has the NR and the mystery M, under the screen name LKermit.

I wish I had seen your post much sooner, but there is still several hours on the NR, and up to two or three days on the rest.

I would love to work with you to get what you need, so if you like you can text me at 405-519-3352.  Also on Facebook Larry Gilmore, Yukon, Oklahoma.  Facebook Instant Messenger.

I can send pics as well, so let me know f I can help.  I can do PayPal and USPS money orders.

Thanks!

Larry Gilmore

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2017, 09:24:38 PM »
I checked that out...and then the relisting. It escapes my price range...I didn't realize the reason we seemed a little high on the hog was due to the wife not getting the gift cards out the the family until yesterday. Now we anxiously await the W-2s to come in.
Best of luck. :)

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:04 PM »
Justin, I still have several of the pieces for sale.  Will list them later.

The Missing link stock is now listed on Gunbroker.  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/733008555

Please remove if disallowed.  I have sold the rest of the rifle separately, since it was not tracable to the stock anyway, but would love to see this in the hands of someone here.  After all, you folks are credited with fanning the flame that has led me to this point of the SKS legacy.

I am open to trade offers, plus some cash from your end, if we can agree on an approximate value, because my wife and I are preparing for a move back to our home state, this spring. 

Many of the stub receiver parts are still with me, as is every part of the mystery rifle except the stock, hand guard and gas tube.  I have already sold the barreled receiver.  All its other mechanical parts are still for sale.

I will work with you, and am PayPal ready. 

Thanks to all.

Kermie

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:44:19 AM by LKermit »