Author Topic: New member from Oklahoma  (Read 709 times)

Offline Maxwray111

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
New member from Oklahoma
« on: May 04, 2023, 02:43:25 PM »
Greetings, and thanks for admission. I bought my first Type 56 a few weeks ago, Factory 636 from 1975. Just hoping to siphon off some experience and wisdom from the more involved members.
I also obtained a sporterized K98 Mauser back in February. I might be succumbing to an addiction.
Anyway I hope to have fun and hopefully learn something.
"I'm the one who has to die when it's my time to die. So let me live my life, the way I want to."

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: New member from Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 07:38:32 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky!!  There are certainly a lot of knowledgeable people here!!  Good  hunting!!

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 07:51:26 PM »
Greetings also from Oklahoma. Lots of knowledge to be gained here, I think you'll find that this is the best SKS forum out there.
Also, in reference to your carbine, there's a saying around here, 'Pics or it didn't happen'  :)

-STR

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 07:55:43 PM »
Welcome from Kansas City, MO
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 10:29:26 PM »
Welcome from Kali, the Land of Brain-Dead Management. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 11:09:29 PM »
Greetings from New Mexico, the land of Enchantment. 

In my undoubtedly biased opinion, this is definitely one of the friendlier and more knowledgable firearms collectors sites on the web.  We specialize in the SKS, but have members who know a little of everything from the most obscure Nambu pistol to Boat Paddle Mosin Nagants and everything in between.   Welcome aboard! thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 11:51:57 PM »
Welcome from WA, over on the dry side of the Evergreen State  thumb1

Offline Maxwray111

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 09:46:12 AM »
Let's see if I can make the pictures work.

"I'm the one who has to die when it's my time to die. So let me live my life, the way I want to."

Offline Maxwray111

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 05:47:39 PM »
Made it to my son's land today to finally put some rounds through it. Overall it functions well and shoots close to POA. No real range on his land and shooting somewhat downhill, but I believe it will be a good shooter. LOP is a little short for me, but might be okay with cold weather clothes instead of just a t-shirt. I have a used handguard coming tomorrow to replace the rail. I believe I paid a little more than I should have, but the way things are going, in a year or two it will seem like a good deal. I would buy another one with no reservations, except I think my next purchase will be a Swiss K11 or K31.

Edit: I did have one issue. My cleaning rod kept coming loose, and even went down range once ,while I was firing. Is this perhaps because there is no bayonet attached? It doesn't seem to have anything else to hold it tight.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 05:54:06 PM by Maxwray111 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 06:29:18 PM »
Yes, bayonet is normally required to retain the cleaning rod.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Maxwray111

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 10:22:26 AM »
It looks much better with the plastic rail replaced with Chinese wood.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 01:01:19 PM »
Hard to tell in the lighting of the pic, but looks like you have a post-ban neutered bayonet lug. If that's the case you can take an o-ring that will fit tight enough around the cleaning rod and sit behind the hole in the FSB without sliding through it. That will keep your cleaning rod in place. Other options are; 1. replace the FSB with a complete one so you can add a bayonet or, 2. simply remove the rod and store it away.

Offline Maxwray111

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 07:33:34 PM »
Yes, definitely a neutered lug. I have been searching the Internet for a front sight base, but they seem to be a little scarce at the moment.
I am at least a couple of months away from being in a position to pursue this step, but I now have an idea of cost.  At some point I intend to do so.
And thanks for the o-ring tip. I hadn't thought of that.

Offline IceCat1

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2023, 10:30:11 AM »
Welcome aboard and welcome to a fine piece of mechanical history.