Author Topic: Part Number studies  (Read 7566 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Part Number studies
« on: February 23, 2019, 12:41:38 AM »
I figured I'd delve into the various part numbers on Yugos.  I've heard it all from "Any gun that has a part numbered component is a refurb!" to "The Yugos used P/Ns on their new stock, if you have P/Ns on your gun is unrefurbished!"

I don't think we can answer the question as to whether they were used during initial builds or not, but we can take stock of them and see what they and maybe see some variations with them. 

The first thing I noticed was the bolt carrier.  I'll be damned if the M59 and M59/66 don't have different part numbers:
M59: 0-00.004

M59/66: 0-00.022

Also there are M59's with variations on the P/N format: 0-00004

Next we move to magazines, there was only one number: SL-4-00.000

But wait, they also etched it on the side?

Trigger groups had etchings: S-00.001

And engravings?  Yes it appears so!

Receiver covers were stamped: 0-00.005

And engraved:

Gas piston: 0-00.003

Takedown levers even had a stamp: S.1-03.100

Bolts had an etching: 6-00.001

Firing pins had an etching it appears: 6-00.002  wait a minute, 6- for bolt and pin both must mean that 6 is the sub assembly group for the bolt, neato! 

(I don't have any photos of one, but I bet the extractor might have been 6-00.003)

Gas tube: 2-00.100

Handguards even had a stamp: 2-00.001 (Yup, that first digit 2 is a sub-assembly designator just like with the bolt)

Stock: 3-00.001

Next comes the buttplate with this little stamp (no idea if there is a number inked on the 59/66 butt pad, but again sub-assembly 3- for the stock components, I bet the crossbolt has a 3-00.00X number as well): 3-00.002

and last but not least, receivers had a P/N stamp: S-102.000

There may be others like sight ladders, op rods, bayonets, etc. but I don't have photos of them.  I'll post more if I find them, but I thought it was interesting to see some of the different numbers and variations and get them down on the site so our membership could start comparing the numbers they find and see if we might turn something else up.  thumb1
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:56:49 AM by running-man »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Part Number studies
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 01:28:36 AM »
Yup.. I have always wondered how many variations there was....it's a rabbit hole thumb1

Another variation of the top cover latch

The only gas piston I have with the number remaining

My receivers... a very faint number, black lettering or blued over and laser etched I guess

Small font P/N on carrier

Again.. one like yours and what looks like an EP'ed number

One M59 carrier has a huge [BK] stamp on it

Crossbolt...... this is the round head style crossbolt.. neither flat head style had a number.. there are 2 styles of crossbolts and 2 styles of crossbolt nuts.

Trigger parts with numbers

And...... I haven't even gotten the M59/66 out  chuckles1
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:18:59 AM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:59:51 AM »
Cannon likes stickies.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:07:23 AM »
Nice GM. That crossbolt is neat.  I wonder what the significance of the S in front of certain part numbers is?  I'll tabulate a table and stick it in the first post showing all the numbers we find.  thumb1

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 09:16:01 AM »
I checked the m59 the m59/66 and the A1.

They all have corresponding part #s as RM posted...with the M59 being the variety without the decimal lightening cut.  chuckles1

Now with the A1, granted I didn't do a full disassembly. But I did pull the bolt.  It is devoid of any part numbers at all....even the extractor. This is the Cherry's...and it was in, I daresay, new condition when I got it. The bluing scratch from the takedown lever just became more pronounced by me checking it.  :(  I don't know if there was a progression away from the part numbers....but this is an R series.

If there was a progression away from it, perhaps the speculation that part #s = refurb was simply the older guns had the numbers...and also were more likely to have been refurbed?

Now I feel kind of irked that my 59/66 has it's proper carrier....but was ground down for A1 night sights...that it never had. banghead1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »
Which P/N does your 59/66 have Justin?  The 004 or the 022?  That will be an interesting thing to note as the 59/66's could have had either.

I know all about the takedown lever scratches, my Clayco M8 has been opened up exactly once by me and now has a #%^*# scratch there.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 10:59:56 AM »
Which P/N does your 59/66 have Justin?  The 004 or the 022?  That will be an interesting thing to note as the 59/66's could have had either.

I know all about the takedown lever scratches, my Clayco M8 has been opened up exactly once by me and now has a #%^*# scratch there.

it's got 0-00 022.

Yeah...aside from a tiny speck on the barrel that could be cold blue rectified with a toothpick...that dang scratch is the only thing keeping it from perfect bluing. I guess by design though...it's comparable to those couple of miles on the speedo of even a brand new car...inevitable.  I feel bad even dusting it.

One thing to consider, as haggard as the lightening cuts are in those carriers...they easily could regrind them and restamp them with the updated part number.  rofl  God I hope they didn't, but if they ep'd some pn's and stamped others on the same part sometimes, they just might have?  I am still trying to wrap my head around the purpose of them in the first place.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »
Ok..... I drug out my beat to death, I cant wear it out, I tried, first surplus rifle...like ever, from 20 years ago, the bastard that started it all, M59/66a1  bat1 chuckles1 Here are the shots of her guts.. and a mystery..

The old Numrich imported girl at least has the correct carrier number.. :)

Gas tube shares the M59 number..... even though it is different

Gas piston has same M59 number...it's very faint, and different as well

Another trigger part number found

Crossbolt number...or the remains of it.. this is a flat headed crossbolt

Op rod number

Ok... I'm scratching my head.....OMG... a deviation........ my M59/66a1 has a different receiver number than any of the M59s shown here..So.......... M59/66s share numbers with M59s on gas system parts...but, the receiver..... which I thought would of had more in common than the two gas systems, is numbered differently... ???

Now.. I am going to quote the mighty RM!!!  We need more info, we need pictures.... cause words... are just words.. :)  and the whole receiver thing now bugs me...

And just to throw this out there..... a Yugoslavian M57 Tokarev shares the same numbering method as well.. Below are some of my M57 Tok numbers.. It seems this numbering method started with the Tokarev.... I didn't find any numbers on the half a dozen Yugoslavian Mauser variants I have, which mostly predate both the Tokarev and SKS, even though near as I can find, the M57 Tokarev predates the SKS. The last production Mauser, the M48BO has no such numbering on it, and it would have been produced in the late '50s early '60's as a sterile contract export weapon.

Possibly who ever or even a new guy who was in charge of weapon production in Yugoslavia must have started this system. But, it seems to have started with the M57 Tokarev.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:04:20 PM by Greasemonkey »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 01:53:47 PM »
Now with the A1, granted I didn't do a full disassembly. But I did pull the bolt.  It is devoid of any part numbers at all....even the extractor. This is the Cherry's...and it was in, I daresay, new condition when I got it. The bluing scratch from the takedown lever just became more pronounced by me checking it.  :(  I don't know if there was a progression away from the part numbers....but this is an R series.

Curious... whats the serial.. I ask because I have a 714k serial Yugoslavian bolt with nothing..... but a serial number, it does have a very faint number etched in the top, another serial I'd guess.....only it's not in a Yugoslavian SKS, it's in a 1960 Romanian SKS.  :o  It came out the box that way from SOG.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 05:54:52 PM »
Neat that the common groups (1 for slide, 2 for frame & trigger group, 4 for magazine) exists in the Tokarev too.   thumb1

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 08:06:08 AM »
I forgot to check firing pin and stock and put it back together so maybe another time for those parts.

From the M59 I recently posted

Mag:

Buttplate:

Bolt carrier:

Take down lever:

Dust cover  (has 0-00.005 tough to see):

Bolt:

Gas tube:

Trigger group:

Crossbolt:

Receiver:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:42:31 AM by Bob_The_Student »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »
Neat Bob!

On the bottom of the receivers, we have 102, 103, and 105. I wonder if there is any physical difference between any of them?

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »

Curious... whats the serial.. I ask because I have a 714k serial Yugoslavian bolt with nothing..... but a serial number, it does have a very faint number etched in the top, another serial I'd guess.....only it's not in a Yugoslavian SKS, it's in a 1960 Romanian SKS.  :o  It came out the box that way from SOG.

R-633960 probably just the number on the bolt though....I a'int scratchin' that bluing again to check.  bat1       chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 12:16:26 PM »

R-633960 probably just the number on the bolt though....I a'int scratchin' that bluing again to check.  bat1       chuckles1
[/quote]

So the odd ball bolt I have stuck in my Romanian is a real late production I guess... it came out the box from SOG with it, I don't think it was done there, it's definitely on of the more off things I've gotten, but it just makes it unique. thumb1
and besides.. they make new bluing everyday  thumb1 gallons and gallons of it, look at all the crap thats boasted about on other forums about cold bluing this, bluing that.  rofl2

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 03:09:47 AM »

So the odd ball bolt I have stuck in my Romanian is a real late production I guess... it came out the box from SOG with it, I don't think it was done there, it's definitely on of the more off things I've gotten, but it just makes it unique. thumb1
and besides.. they make new bluing everyday  thumb1 gallons and gallons of it, look at all the crap thats boasted about on other forums about cold bluing this, bluing that.  rofl2

[/quote]

What's with the T stamp?  I seem to recall seeing that somewhere...and I cannot remember if it is one of mine or not.  My Yugos have seen very little use....it was not on the Yugo bolt that I checked. Yours also seems a tad broken in. :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
What's with the T stamp?  I seem to recall seeing that somewhere...and I cannot remember if it is one of mine or not.  My Yugos have seen very little use....it was not on the Yugo bolt that I checked. Yours also seems a tad broken in. :)

Broken in is the only way to go  thumb1 when I scratch it... oh look, it blends right in with the others.  :) rofl2

I have wondered about that "T" stamp. Maybe since it's out of a Romanian... it's the stamp of Vlad.... as in Vlad "T"epes.  rofl

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »
Great Thread.  Ill add a couple pics. One thing that I can ad is look at my gas tube. 3rd pic. You can clearly see that it was stamped twice with the same number. " Never seen that before" These pics are all from one M59 that IMO was a heavy reberb.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:40:33 AM by Direct Connection »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 01:32:53 PM »
RM.. maybe something else related, maybe not, maybe a thought for another study.  :o :)

I see a trend in the use of EP'ed parts numbers..as well as EP'ed receiver serials. I wonder if Yugoslavia may have gained access to a or maybe a few mechanical electro pencil machines. I don't think a person could etch nice and consistent numbers on a crossbolt flat or a firing pin, not to say a person didn't etch some larger parts at times. Seems a majority of parts and pieces are EP'ed vs. stamping. You still see stamped parts here and there, but overall, most have been EP'ed, especially the smaller parts and pieces, which would make life easier/quicker for them. I wonder if the stamped bits are possibly early older parts, the EP'ed are later....On receivers, I think they all got the same EP'ed treatment being made new or refurb. I don't think I have seen an actual Yugoslavian "stamped" receiver serial number.

Even carriers went from stamped numbers to etched.. during a refurb I'm sure it's easier to scrub off or hide an electo-pencil serial etching than a stamping given the depth of each. The only item which remains a stamp through out production it seems, is the stock serial... Which this whole mess could bring up another question........if almost everything is EP'ed later, how can one say it's as it came off the line, unless you have a log book....when it could have a used and a cleaned re-EP'ed part thrown on it. :)   A run though a glass or silicon carbide bead blast machine...and poof, the old number could be gone and a new number applied.

My m59/66 serial is EP'ed...not stamped

My "C" M59 has an EP'ed number far as I can tell, I'd guess they blued over the serial and the font is a little funky.. but, it does have the little swirl marks that would be left by a electro-pencil.

Even 'ol Bobs is penciled....and I wonder if it wasn't a mechanical error of the machine that caused the serial oopsie

P32's is the same... with a slight oopsie on the 2

Even my M59LB is EP'ed

Then I have this weird bastard...my "B" looks different than all the rest, font wise and appearance..maybe a test of the machine.. but it even looks to have been etched. I can't account for all the variations of fonts but it looks like possibly at least 3 or 4 different ones were used, maybe different machine or machine settings, there could possibly more font changes through the production cycle.

And another, just to throw it out there.... the M57 Tokarev serials are EP'ed and not stamped. Seems like a total overhaul of the Zastava factory after the war, using p/n's, log books and electro-penciling. Although, I have never seen a log book for the Tokarev pistol, which raises another question, did they monitor handguns as closely as longguns, given both fired corrosive ammo w/ non chrome lined bores.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:51:35 PM by Greasemonkey »