Author Topic: Luger advice...  (Read 2376 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Luger advice...
« on: November 18, 2019, 06:45:18 PM »
Hi Fellas,

I've come up on an artillery Luger with 1 mag, holster, & stock. The iron itself is very nice with matching numbers where exposed. The rig has a tool & cleaning rod, but the holster & stock have to be reproduction, as they're virtually new. Sticker price is $3495, but I threw out some SKSs as straight trade fodder and he'll go for it. An Alby or a Paratrooper, a Shernic pup, and 3 Chinese, all spikers.

I know there's more to learning about Lugers then can be given here, but I thought I ask those in the know anyway.

What say ye? PAX
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:09:53 PM by Phosphorus32 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: Luger advice...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 07:31:06 PM »

*Schwarzenegger voice*

Do it.
Do it now!

You can replace SKS's a little at a time.

Thoroughly go over it. Check to see how many numbers match, including the magazine.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 12:29:13 PM »
Lots of variables.. condition, numbers, year, markings, finish. I've seen them sell for between $1200 for a piss poor shooter example to well over $6-7k. The stock and holster if repro, they are just that...200-250 for those. Every part should have a number down to the firing pin, one mismatch number or part supposed to have a number and doesn't, the game can change drastically. And beware, should you shoot it, and break/loose a numbered part, poof, goes the value and your pride, I have a mismatched junker to beat on because of that..

When I bought my LP.08, the seller allowed me to tear it down and do a visual inspection prior to purchase. I do own quite a few Lugers...and before you jump in, and due to the amount of funds, defiantly research before dropping the first coin, SKS, whatever..... look at it, tear it down, take pictures, ask questions, ask more questions and research some more. I've seen an experience where a person didn't use research and use good judgement and over paid....to the tune of around 2 grand... for something that was nothing in the end, all sales final........and no, it wasn't me.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 01:54:51 PM »
Every part should have a number down to the firing pin, one mismatch number or part supposed to have a number and doesn't, the game can change drastically. And beware, should you shoot it, and break/lose a numbered part, poof, goes the value and your pride, I have a mismatched junker to beat on because of that..

I turned a beautiful, all matching C96 into a shooter grade by breaking a hammer.
I didn't do enough research to know when the a-hole gave me 7.62X25 Tokarev ammo -"'cause it's the same stuff"- that he was full of crap. The second round snapped the hammer off.
In my case, I blame myself at least as much as I blame the so-called expert.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »
Every part should have a number down to the firing pin, one mismatch number or part supposed to have a number and doesn't, the game can change drastically. And beware, should you shoot it, and break/lose a numbered part, poof, goes the value and your pride, I have a mismatched junker to beat on because of that..

I turned a beautiful, all matching C96 into a shooter grade by breaking a hammer.
I didn't do enough research to know when the a-hole gave me 7.62X25 Tokarev ammo -"'cause it's the same stuff"- that he was full of crap. The second round snapped the hammer off.
In my case, I blame myself at least as much as I blame the so-called expert.

Yeah.. Tokarev ammo in a Broomhandle nea1 just a little bit of difference there.    My Broomhandle is technically a shooter grade, I bought it missing grip panels, so those are repro.  Like I've said before, I have stuff I've only put a few rounds through or have never shot.....because of parts like that, just takes a split second to go from very collectible and expensive to just....very shootable and mundane.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 06:31:45 PM »
It's a 1917 but been reblued. I pulled the Alby out of the offer. If it flies ok, if not ok too. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 06:49:48 PM »
Just my .00000002 worth.... Reblued.. kinda kills it for me, it's a finish that's not orginial. I'd be more willing to pay for honest wear, than I would reblued. Especially at 3500 bucks..  the add-ons don't even make it worth it.  My LP.08 I gave right around 2900..all matching numbers, magazine and a orginial Luger takedown tool, and no fake finish.

But, I don't control the wallet...the above is just my opinion.  thumb1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 01:37:21 PM »
This ⬆︎

Just starts me thinking what else is going on with it.  I would be on the very low end of offering what these run and would hold the line since there's obviously many other lugers out there with better pedigrees.

Just my $0.02

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »
This ⬆︎

Just starts me thinking what else is going on with it.  I would be on the very low end of offering what these run and would hold the line since there's obviously many other lugers out there with better pedigrees.

Just my $0.02

Yup.. a tear down and hard visual hands on inspection would reveal all...it could have non serialized grip panels if it was reblued, commonly done to spruce up looks...then on top of rebluing, it's not even matching. I threw a set of repro grip panels on my commercial mismatched shooter Erfurt Luger, just to preserve what was left of the original serialized grips. Even parts that are supposed to be straw blued vs. salt blued can change price, incorrectly blued parts can affect it as well.

And along with everything....their ask is high, if later you tried to move it, you could loose unless you lucked out and found someone who just had to have it. A collector who knows what they are looking at, would most likely severely lowball, then walk.  I have found out in my experience, Lugers are on a totally different level than a SKS or most other milsurp...it's big money, with some surpassing the prices of lowly Trinity SKSs by many thousands of dollars, the people who play in this court, highly scrutinize every little detail and will harshly haggle over a scratch. It's alot like comparing a sommelier to a weekend beer binge drinker. chuckles1
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:20:30 PM by Greasemonkey »

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
I dunno....

For me-ONLY AFTER THOROUGH INSPECTION- it would depend on how much I had invested in the SKS's.

Lugers are out there, but climbing in price all the time. Artillery Lugers......that's a whole nuther story. Even a bad one is at a premium these days.
If you pass on it, knowing you can replace the rifles one at a time, are you gonna be kicking your own but forever?
I know I still kick mine over passing on a Colt 1905 for a REALLY good trade.
In my (not) humble opinion, the only thing worse than buyers remorse is non-buyers remorse. Again, just my opinion, and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Since GM is our resident P08 expert, maybe the seller would allow a few photos for him to check out.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
I'm far from an expert... But why over pay for something that is not going to be worth much later down the road. For 3500 a nicer example could probably be found, or I look at that Luger vs a 3 year CD.... I'd put the money in the CD, because I'd get a better return on the investment after 3 years.

Like you say, Luger's go up everyday, which will be worth more in 10 years, my papered bringback p.08 or my commercial mismatch. They will all appreciate, but at drastically different rates... I paid 800 for the mismatchy one.... The papered one was 3 times that.. the rest of them are between those in price..

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 09:20:07 PM »
I backed out even though I didn't have much ducats in the SKSs ($1300), but collectively in Kali they MAY fetch $2700 to $4000 (eventually??) PAX
  You need a crew