Author Topic: #4 of 4 on recent purchases, The scrub gun(Bubba no more?)  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
#4 of 4 on recent purchases, The scrub gun(Bubba no more?)
« on: September 22, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »
Alright, there was a reason I really wanted to post the Russian last. This one is going to be very anti-climactic and vary Bubba'd. Was a little disappointed in this one and not sure what to do with it. It is a 9 million, but no arsenal stamped pinned barrel parts gun basically.(as you'll see in the pics.) Only things matching are the Bolt carrier group and the receiver. The very nice receiver cover came off in exchange for something more suited to the ATI Dragunov stock. Bright spot is I get to use the wood HG on #2 which I already posted an update pic of. Came in black, going out blacker, LOL.

Before;

After;

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:47:14 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: #4 of 4 on recent purchases, The scrub gun(Bubba thru and thru)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:35:09 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention, The cheese grater is getting swapped out for an ATI HG and it has a riveted bayonet setup on the FSB.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
Neat! a DC Engineering mag AND muzzle brake. I have one of the brakes...but have always been curious about how those mags performed, considering how expensive they are/were.  IIRC that is a $90 mag.

It's been awhile since I saw an intact ATI Drag stock too....are you gonna mod it or leave it as stock:P

Lots of folk complain about the hump behind the receiver...but the forend is what usually bugs me. I am kinda partial to the hump.

Is it less of a faux pas to bubba a 1990 SKS? I think so...the mag and trigger weren't serialed, and I don't think the receiver covers were either. The one it came with probably replaced a mount cover at some point.
The gun is actually interesting due to it not having an AK mag setup, or a shortened barrel. This is the import company that brought us Sporters n such primarily if memory serves. The 90 leading digits is a year indicator.

How's the fit on the NC Star mount? Mine was an absolute nightmare...and is the only SKS part I have ever thrown away.  I had to spend hours filing on it just to get it to make contact with the top of the receiver, by the time I got it flush, there wasn't enough left on the bottom for the tangs to reach their home....and the latch pin hole was about 1/8" too low, as the bottom also had to be filed to get the rest of it to reach the receiver.  Luckily I bought it locally new for like $19.99...so the sound of it hitting and nearly knocking over the garbage can was almost delightful. :)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 12:21:22 PM »
I'm curious about that mag as well.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 01:31:42 PM »
Mag, like most things DC Engineering is a piece of junk. Had to bend the flat tab to get it to insert tightly. There is a reason we used to call them DC Comics. Muzzle Brake is nice and solid though. I just put that on there because it came off of #2, the Letter gun.

ATI stock will remain intact. Not going to cut off the back and install one of my adapters on it, which is actually why I originally bought the thing. Other than a bit of a PITA on disassembly, the hump doesn't bother me. The raised sides on the HG area bother me more. Needless weight and can't access the gas tube very well. I will be installing a matching ATI HG when it arrives. Thanks Justin :) 8)

The NCStar cover is super tight. After mounting, I blue loc-tite'd the left side set screws and lock nuts, then set the right side w/o Loc-tite. To remove I will only unscrew the right side. That should help it hold zero. Time will tell....if I keep it long enough, LOL.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:52:19 PM by Greatguns »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 06:04:09 PM »
So, after making a trade with Justin, Bubba is not so Bubba anymore. I have a cleaning rod on the way, need a spike bayonet and rivet. I do have a Chinese receiver cover to swap out if need be. Mis-matched, but getting back to OEM

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
Never thought I'd say this to another guy....but..... Nice wood.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 12:23:39 AM »
I like the end result, GG! Looks good! The grain on that stock is nice, too.

I've got some extra spikes if you need one. Not sure I have a rivet, though.

firstchoice

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »
nice work, liking the OEM look much more then the bubba look.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 09:36:50 AM »
Thanks Carl, me too. Bought a rivet so it has a bayonet on it now as well. Also, latched onto a better suited receiver cover, as pertains to finish, so may ditch the scope.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
Sounds like an opportunity for an evolution pic...perhaps a poll? :)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: #4 of 4 on recent purchases, The scrub gun(Bubba no more?) Now with a poll
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 02:46:39 PM »
Sounds like an opportunity for an evolution pic...perhaps a poll? :)

I had thought of that, but then got sidetracked. So, here ya go. a couple with scope and a couple without. Oh, BTW Justin, that is the original gas tube/HG, I found a good color matching HG for my '59 with all the stocks I bought lately so was able to go back to OEM on both of them so you'll be glad to know the EP'd gas tube is back in its rightful place.

SO, the unofficial poll is, as Shakespeare would put it; 'to scope or not to scope, that is the question' OR, 'to remove the scope is such sweet sorrow' thankyou1 dance2

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 02:58:24 PM »
I like the end result, GG! Looks good! The grain on that stock is nice, too.

I've got some extra spikes if you need one. Not sure I have a rivet, though.

firstchoice

Hey FC, was going to "insert quote" you on Carls reply, but spaced. Anyway, I have a few spikes laying around and put one on this one after buying a rivet from Polytech. Pics added for your viewing pleasure.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
Re: #4 of 4 on recent purchases, The scrub gun(Bubba no more?)
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 03:07:52 PM »
I gotta say, I prefer sans scope...but have a special kind of hatred at the NC Star mount, so I am biased.
If the mount is fit to the gun, why not keep it stock, and hold onto the mount as an option should you want it...(friggin mount deserves a drawer life)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: #4 of 4 on recent purchases, The scrub gun(Bubba no more?)
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 03:19:08 PM »
I gotta say, I prefer sans scope...but have a special kind of hatred at the NC Star mount, so I am biased.
If the mount is fit to the gun, why not keep it stock, and hold onto the mount as an option should you want it...(friggin mount deserves a drawer life)

Yeah, never been a fan of this scope mount either due to height from Comb. It does lock down well and solid though. I have that other SKS I picked up locally with the K-mount I got from Larry(the one you put in the box) so I don't really need this SKS scoped anymore. Keeping it as an optional accessory IS a good idea though.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: #4 of 4 on recent purchases, The scrub gun(Bubba no more?) Now with a poll
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »

SO, the unofficial poll is, as Shakespeare would put it; 'to scope or not to scope, that is the question' OR, 'to remove the scope is such sweet sorrow' thankyou1 dance2

I'm diggin' the sans-scope look! Back to SKS basics. Just can't beat the original SKS as-issued look!

Excellent save, GG!

firstchoice