Author Topic: Two Former Rangers Wanted to Combine the Best Parts of the AK-47 and AR-15  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
I wasn't really sure where to drop this one, so I dropped it here.
I think it's a pretty cool idea, but that price......

https://www.military.com/veteran-jobs/two-former-rangers-wanted-combine-best-parts-of-ak-47-and-ar-15-what-they-created.html?ESRC=eb_210310.nl
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
Interesting concept but at that price, no way for me.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
There is already a platform combining the 2, it's called the PSA KS-47 and works very, very well. I believe someone else makes a similar setup, maybe Arsenal or Atlantic Arms??
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
I had the opportunity to play with a Daewoo DR-200 years back.
I always thought that was a pretty good blend.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper

I remember those. Seem to recall being told they were pretty heavy, is that correct?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter

I remember those. Seem to recall being told they were pretty heavy, is that correct?

A touch over 7 pounds dry, so not too shabby.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
I always cringe when I see someone touting something being made from "billet" aluminum as their buzzword of choice for sales marketing.  In years previous, the buzzword was often "aircraft aluminum". 

I guess they think it makes it sound impressively built out of something super advanced or something. In reality, they are making this receiver out of simple rectangular bar stock to reduce waste, probably a 2024-T3 (aircraft aluminum chuckles1), 6061-T651, or if they absolutely need the strength and fatigue isn't high on their list of worries, 7075-T6.

If they were really on their game, this thing would be forged to near net shape with minimal finishing needed and the cost would be down sub $1k. dntknw1
I like that the market gets to determine whether stuff like this succeeds or fails.  For every idea that takes off, 10 others similar to it crash and burn. 

I wish these guys the best, but putting this out there:
...designed the rifle’s parts so that they were easier and cheaper to manufacture. Parts for the AK-21 don’t require a firearm-specific machine shop, which means they can manufacture the parts anywhere in the country.

“With our design, it's a simple milling of aluminum, which is easier on machines and tooling,’’ Potter said. “With how simplistic we've made the design, we can also do high quantities. Making it out of aluminum cuts down on cost and on the weight carried by a soldier, while cutting down on waste and the time spent producing them.”

and then pricing it at $4k probably ain't going to get her done...   
(any commodity machine shop can pretty much make anything these days, but if the shop is finish machining a receiver, they better darn well have their ITAR registration, BATF manufacturer's license current and up to date, and a S/N stamped on that sucker!)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!

A touch over 7 pounds dry, so not too shabby.

A Vz.58 is 6.4 pounds dry.. w/a steel machined receiver
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter

A Vz.58 makes me want to touch myself......
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper

TMI Larry, TMI... :o rofl rofl

Offline astronut

• Marksman

I agree!  All this time I thought he was a standup guy but now his freakiness is showing!   :o   rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!

I am an enabler.... but, now.. think1 that takes it to a whole new beyond weird level. No pictures for you... nea1  Get ahold of yourself man... rofl2

rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
 rofl rofl  GM said "get ahold of yourself man" after Larry said "a VZ-58 makes me want to touch myself"...Now THAT is enabling at GM's finest. rofl rofl chuckles1 chuckles1 rofl rofl

Offline astronut

• Marksman
rofl rofl  GM said "get ahold of yourself man" after Larry said "a VZ-58 makes me want to touch myself"...Now THAT is enabling at GM's finest. rofl rofl chuckles1 chuckles1 rofl rofl
True Dat!   ;)
All of this banter by Larry reminds me of that song by Rick James named super freak.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Freak.  ""Super Freak" is a 1981 single produced and performed by American singer Rick James. The song, co-written by James and Alonzo Miller, was first released on James' album Street Songs and became one of James' signature songs. "Freak" is a slang term for the sexually adventurous, as described in the song's lyrics".

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
The AR-AK combination was developed by Bushmaster back in the mid-late 1970's and they were very cool. No heavier than a standard AR-15 and used M16-stanag magazines.
I had the standard rifle version but there was also a arm pistol version too. Both were chambered in 5.56 nato.

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter

I need to come to grips with this freakiness......Wocka wocka
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
I moon lighted as a mobile DJ back in the 80-90's. This song usually followed a "slow set". Peeps would run for the dance floor. There were a bunch of "get up and dance right now" songs. Pointer sisters, Jump, anything by Madonna, ZZ Top, Bob Seger, "Old Time Rock -n- Roll, Sam and Dave, Hold On, Bill Haley, Rock Around The Clock, Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Good.

Fabulous Thunderbirds, Tuff Enuff,
Watch this video. Women were women, not all tatted up. Tremendously fit figures. Simply stunning. But I digress.

SO MANY really good songs. I could go on for hours listing them.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
I moon lighted as a mobile DJ back in the 80-90's. This song usually followed a "slow set". Peeps would run for the dance floor. There were a bunch of "get up and dance right now" songs. Pointer sisters, Jump, anything by Madonna, ZZ Top, Bob Seger, "Old Time Rock -n- Roll, Sam and Dave, Hold On, Bill Haley, Rock Around The Clock, Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Good.

Watch this video. Women were women, not all tatted up. Tremendously fit figures. Simply stunning. But I digress.

Aside from Matuna, I like your playlist.
And you are certainly right about the young ladies in that video. Mm-mmmm!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman

Aside from Matuna, I like your playlist.
And you are certainly right about the young ladies in that video. Mm-mmmm!
I forgot t mention, these guys are from Texas. Supposedly still playing. The lead guitar player is Stevie Ray Vaughn brother. Some say he was better than Stevie Ray. The song was recorded 1985.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Algotguns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Re: Two Former Rangers Wanted to Combine the Best Parts of the AK-47 and AR-15
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2024, 08:24:36 AM »
I do love the concept