Author Topic: Using the Type 89 Scope System  (Read 2512 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Using the Type 89 Scope System
« on: March 05, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
Hi All,

This is my fist usage with this type of mount. How does it do with the off-set like that? Still keep the same hold over or windage adjustment, if zeroed at 100 yards with a bore sight then range confirmed? Seems like the POI would wander (left/right) from POA as your distance varied (increased/decreased). Thanks, PAX

You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: Using the Type 89 Scope System
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 10:34:03 PM »
PAX, this is fairly extreme necro-posting, but in looking for something to do with the Type 89 mounting system used on the Cowboy Companions and several other Navy Arms offerings, your post was the "newest" I found. I've yet to zero my Type 89 system so I can't attest to your questions of reliabilty, yet.

While browsing through the Kalinka Optics website, I noticed this Molot adapter for the Type 89 mounts that the Cowboy Companion, etc. utilize.

https://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/mosin-mauser-other/molot-dovetail-adapter-for-paratrooper-cowbow-companion-chenese-sks.html

I thought it could be a possible option at first. But after looking at it, it seems like it would offset the mount and scope at least 3/8" to the shooter's left. Would that be enough to make it awkward or unusable? Since the mounts are hard to find and pricey when you do, I thought it might be an idea for those that can't come up with a Type 89 mount. IF, it's a usable idea.

Has anyone tried one of these or have an opinion one way or the other?

firstchoice

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Using the Type 89 Scope System
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 10:58:17 AM »
Looks like a good candidate for a Williams base. At least there's an option available . Thanks DC, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798