Author Topic: Armi Galesi questions.  (Read 6342 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Armi Galesi questions.
« on: May 27, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »
I recently picked up a near pristine Armi Galesi in 6.35mm. 99.9%+ bluing, original box, information sheet, and embossed proof stamp-dated, signed and serialized.

My  first question :  Does anyone here have one?

My second question: In 1954 they switched to a Roman numeral style of date stamping, yet mine is dated in standard numeric date form-- 1956. Is there a reason for the overlap in date stamping styles? 

Preliminary guess would be that it might have something to do with whether or not the pistol was intended for domestic or export markets. Most of these guns were made for the US market (or so i have read) and the majority of the examples I see online have the Roman Numeral style date stamp. But I'm only guessing. And online searches have revealed very little -- and none of it corroborated.

Thanks for any help or links.

Boris.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Armi Galesi questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »
pics:

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 09:01:43 PM »
Interesting piece...  thumb1   Only thing I know about them... is Charles Whitman was rumored to have one during his rampage.. I know it don't help any. :)

It looks like.... if a Baby Browning and a Walther PP had a 6.35mm love child, this would be it..  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 05:37:33 AM »
In my searches, I did come across the Whitman connection. Intriguing. He probably paid about $35 in 1966.

Its a great addition to my mouse gun collection.

There's just so little info out there on this manufacturer.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
I don't know anything about them but it's a nice little (really little  :))) find. Great to have the original box and "proof cerificate"(?)  thumb1

Offline GuitarmanNick

• Cadet
  • Live each day as if it was your last!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
Nica pistola!

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »
Nice and interesting pistol!   thumb1

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 10:36:58 AM »
I don't know anything about them but it's a nice little (really little  :))) find. Great to have the original box and "proof cerificate"(?)  thumb1

Chamber or Barrel pressure test: "Pressione di Prova" in Kilograms per sq.cm.
I got this info from gunboards Italian Firearms sub forum.

The serial# on the tag matches the gun: 186784

I swabbed the barrel and chamber and there was no sign of power residue.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 10:40:15 AM »
Nice and interesting pistol!   thumb1

Nica pistola!

Grazie, grazie!

Pizza, mozzarella, rigatoni bon giorno!

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »
It looks like.... if a Baby Browning and a Walther PP had a 6.35mm love child, this would be it..  thumb1

I was thinking the progeny of a Makarov and a Sterling Arms 300.

Maury? :-X

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »
Just a quick lookie... :)    you may have stumbled across it, but others may want to read it.  Hey....wait.. I do have an Italian Carcano M91 thumb1 rofl

Quite abit of stuff but it's kind of hazy info in places.. no clue how much is hear say, and whats actual fact.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=7688
Industria Armi Galesi, Collebeato of Brescia, Italy was founded before the First World War, and began manufacturing pistols in 1914. The first Galesi pistol was a 6.35mm-blowback design based on the Browning 1906, but without the grip safety. In 1923 improvements were made and a 7.65mm chambering was added.

In 1930, the Model 6, which was based on the Browning 1910, was introduced in 6.35mm and 7.65mm calibres. The Model 6 was striker fired, with concentric recoil spring and no grip safety, sights were a groove in the top of the slide. In 1936, a 9mm short chambering was added which was adopted in small numbers as a substitute for the standard pistol of the Italian armed forces.

In 1950, the Model 6 was overhauled, the principal change being a modification to the rear of the frame, to allow for easier slide removal. The modification became known as the Model 9 and it was produced in .22, 6.35mm and 7.65mm calibres. Hope this helps."

And this..
https://www.bevfitchett.us/firearms-identification/galesi-pistols-hlz.html

Galesi Brescia Date Code
Last Updated on Sat, 13 May 2017 | Firearms identification

These pistols are manufactured by the Industria Armi Galesi, located in Collebeato (Brescia), Italy. The firm was founded in 1910 by Nicola Galesi, the father of Giuseppe Galesi who is the present proprietor. The first pistol was made in 1914 and production continued until 1923. In 1923 (or soon thereafter) production of the second model began. This model was based on Pat. No. 219,408 issued to Nicola Galesi on March 30, 1923. Just when production was started is not known, nor is it known how many were manufactured before it gave way to the Mod. 1930. Specimens known to have been made in 1928 bear serial numbers in the 130,000 range. This pistol was of the blowback type with no particularly distinctive or outstanding features. It was produced in both 6.35 and 7.65 mm. calibers.

In 1930 a new model appeared, based on Pat. No. 297,441 issued to Nicola Galesi on June 7, 1930, and it became known as the 1930 Model. This was also made in both 6.35 and 7.65 mm. calibers until 1936, when it was also issued in 9 mm. caliber. This change did not involve any change in model nomenclature. Specimen No. 138,827 in 6.35 mm. caliber dated 1937 shows the sliding floor plate and probably is one of the last to have this feature.

The 9 mm. version of this model was made for war service and is so marked. Following the Italian surrender, possibly as early as 1944, production of the Mod. 1930 in 7.65 mm. caliber was resumed. Speciman No. 145,233 (though undated) is probably of this vintage. It has an extension of the magazine floor plate which forms a rest for the little finger, thus producing a somewhat better grip.

Following World War II (in 1950) the designation of the pistol was again changed, becoming the Mod. 9, but with no important basic changes. Specimens of the 6.35 Mod. 1930 pistols dated 1937 appear to be identical to 6.35 mm, Mod, 9 which are dated 1947, with the exception of the design of the grip plates, the use of finer serrations in the finger grips on the slide, and the slightly more streamlined grip frames on the 1947 Mod, Observed specimens of the Mod. 1930 did not have raised front and rear sights, but such are provided on some (but not all) of the 7,65 mm, Mod, 9 pistols,

The Mod. 9 is produced in ,22 Short, ,22 Long, ,22 L.R., 6,35 mm,, and 7,65 mm, calibers and in different sized models for the same caliber, Also, they are available in a profusion of finishes and grip materials for each caliber and size, In fact no less than 54 quotations appear in the price list, All Galesi pistols are numbered consecutively, each caliber having a separate numbering series irrespective of model, Up to June 1959 over 300,000 pieces had been made, including all calibers and models.

The Galesi pistols are widely advertised and apparently well known in this country and, no doubt, will continue to be so, for they are very attractive in appearance, and their stainless steel barrels should render them less likely to corrode and less subject to wearing away of the rifling.

http://oldguns.net/q&a9_03.htm
Industria Armi Galesi, Collebeato of Brescia, Italy was founded before the First World War, and began manufacturing pistols in 1914. The first Galesi pistol was a 6.35mm-blowback design based on the Browning 1906, but without the grip safety. In 1923 improvements were made and a 7.65mm chambering was added.

In 1930, the Model 6, which was based on the Browning 1910, was introduced in 6.35mm and 7.65mm calibres. The Model 6 was striker fired, with concentric recoil spring and no grip safety, sights were a groove in the top of the slide. In 1936, a 9mm short chambering was added which was adopted in small numbers as a substitute for the standard pistol of the Italian armed forces.

In 1950, the Model 6 was overhauled, the principal change being a modification to the rear of the frame, to allow for easier slide removal. The modification became known as the Model 9 and it was produced in .22, 6.35mm and 7.65mm calibres. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:44:20 AM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »
Thanks GM--

I did encounter all of these.

But it's good to have them all on the same page for comparison.

Thanks, again.