Author Topic: Norinco??? Scrubbed???  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Norinco??? Scrubbed???
« on: October 15, 2021, 07:13:53 PM »
Question if you would pls., fellas. I have what obviously is a Chinese commercial SKS, however, there doesn’t appear to be any manufacturer logo/insignia. It’s probably a Norinco, did they omit their mark on some rifles. Kinda like a commercial “ghost.” It appears that the receiver cover was scrubbed or buffed  on top. I don’t know what the deal is w/ that also. Small, indiscreet import mark. Thanks for your insight.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Norinco??? Scrubbed???
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 08:25:41 PM »
Not uncommon for a late commercial rifle to be marked as such. There was a similar thread posted a couple weeks ago. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 09:29:58 PM »
It's got several older/earlier features on it, long lug threaded barrel, looks like a milled trigger group, lightening cut on the bolt, the rear sight base and the screwed bayonet mount. Features that late production rifles didn't have. It's as if it were a old scrubbed, refinished and/or rearsenaled Chicom rifle. A Century Arms import from their old shop in St. Albans, Vermont.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:14:02 PM »
Top cover discoloration is common in the center. All variants display it, some show worse than others. Somewhere..... there is a post floating around here that really deep dives on the subject across the variants.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 12:30:03 PM »
That stamp was done in the middle of the 84-94 Chinese SKS import window.  At that time, the rules were unclear whether or not a 'manufacturer' was required to be stamped or whether the country of manufacture was sufficient.  Later stamps that show 'CGA', 'Polytech', or 'Norinco' came after the rules were clarified and it was understood what information had to be stamped during import in addition to 'China'.  You also see the transitions in locations of the markings (from hidden areas to visible areas anywhere and finally to visible areas on the receiver or barrel only), as well as types of stamps (hand engravings, minimal chemical etchings, to stamps, mechanical engravings, and laser etchings), and size of characters (from tiny almost unreadable characters to the current standard of at least 1/16" tall).

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 04:28:03 PM »
The Early long lug threaded barrel action indicates pre-1966 carbine from Jianshe. So not a NORINCO and not a commercially produced rifle.

The stock and bayonet are replacements.

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 01:20:42 PM »
Interesting. Thank you all.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 01:38:42 PM »
I have one just like it!  thumb1  Picked it up at an estate sale.   https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=6307.0
USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »
I have one just like it!  thumb1  Picked it up at an estate sale.   https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=6307.0

Your's has a pinned barrel. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 08:24:10 AM »

Your's has a pinned barrel. PAX
Yes, I meant unmarked as his is.
USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!