Author Topic: Found a couple Maadi’s and a NHM91 locally. Should I buy?  (Read 829 times)

Offline Gravygrabbr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Found a couple Maadi’s and a NHM91 locally. Should I buy?
« on: August 31, 2021, 11:29:21 PM »
Found a Maadi RPK style, Maadi AKM w/German furniture, and a Chinese NHM91. The 91 is missing the bipod and drum mag. Shop says they all come with 1 mag each. Shop says if I take all three they will do $3600. That’s $1200 each. Pretty hard to come by in my neck of the woods. Deal or nah?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Found a couple Maadi’s and a NHM91 locally. Should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 05:53:15 AM »
I have a few AKs but I’m definitely not an expert on them. I don’t think there’s enough information provided to say if that’s a good deal or not. It could be bad or fantastic or somewhere in between.

This is actually a good overview on the Maadis, even though it’s from an AR site  :))  chuckles1
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/Egyptian-Maadi-Ak47-Guide/81-143966/

Basically, avoid the MISRs.

Maadi didn’t make an RPK, by which I mean a 1.5mm receiver with a 23.2” (59cm) barrel and club foot stock. If it has a long barrel or the RPK-style furniture it was done in the US.

The Chinese NHM91 never interested me personally, with the 20” barrel and thumbhole stock (again purely a personal preference against civilian thumbhole stocks created merely to meet the ‘94 AWB), but I can’t imagine they’re cheap anymore.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »
Probably the Egyptian RPK like rifle... is an RML. They had a 16 or 20 inch barrel, and the 20 inch could have a bipod and wear conventional Ak wood. It's a decent price for the MADDI.. The NHM91 is not terrible, but you said no bipod. Mine the drum mag was missing, but I got 6 Polish 30s and 4 Hungarian tanker mags and dinky cute 5rd Chinese mag with it, a replacement Chinese drum is expensive.

Like P32 said, not really enough info.. worst thing is how bad have they been jacked around with, and of course condition.

And yeah.. avoid MISR..Y Egyptians.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 07:41:09 PM »
I had a MAADI in the mid '90's with a 20/21" barrel and some kind of crappy optics.  I could never seem to get the scope dialed in and it grouped like a shotgun either on scope or iron.  I put it down to crappy barrel harmonics.  My SKS Paratrooper shot far better at 100 yds. 

Offline teddybear1848

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 10:02:34 PM »
I have a few AKs but I’m definitely not an expert on them. I don’t think there’s enough information provided to say if that’s a good deal or not. It could be bad or fantastic or somewhere in between.

This is actually a good overview on the Maadis, even though it’s from an AR site  :))  chuckles1
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/Egyptian-Maadi-Ak47-Guide/81-143966/

Basically, avoid the MISRs.

Maadi didn’t make an RPK, by which I mean a 1.5mm receiver with a 23.2” (59cm) barrel and club foot stock. If it has a long barrel or the RPK-style furniture it was done in the US.

The Chinese NHM91 never interested me personally, with the 20” barrel and thumbhole stock (again purely a personal preference against civilian thumbhole stocks created merely to meet the ‘94 AWB), but I can’t imagine they’re cheap anymore.

MISR and MISR SA are ok, even the MISR 10. The problem gun is the MISR 90 which is a chinese parts kit horsehoed onto an egyptian receiver.
"Is that actually a bucket of cat litter or is it 7.62 Nato?" - My better half.