Author Topic: I made a thing  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
I made a thing
« on: December 15, 2020, 05:24:07 PM »
Early 1957 six digit /26\ barreled receiver
Yugo M59/66 stock stained and shellacked
Russian gas tube, laminate handguard (thanks GG), pistons and springs
Chinese stamped trigger (the one cheap part that instigated the damn project)
Russian chrome bayonet (the one I disciplined my fish with)
Russian 1949 spring loaded bolt and carrier
Chinese star mag that finally found a gun it works properly in
Chinese (I think) receiver cover that fit nothing until this
Tapco sight post (only because I am fresh out of real ones)
NC Star rod (ugh...but cheap)

Once I found the gun under all the rust and pitting, I took it to the white and reblued.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: I made a thing
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:46:49 PM »
I *really* like it!  Nice job man. thumb1

One of a kind means $$ you know!

You could probably score $800 to $900 on that sucker right now if you wanted to flip it.  Would not let the bayo get away though.  Ridiculously tough to find those.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 06:18:02 PM »
That looks really nigly! (not a typo, a combo of nice and ugly)

Imagine, you have at least $300 value just between the mag and the bayonet.  rofl rofl2 chuckles1

And you're welcome, BTW, I probably would have wasted it on something more mundane, like a second Naval Commissar rifle or similar rofl rofl
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 06:24:54 PM »
A nice American (mixed Chinese-Russian-Yugoslavian ancestry) SKS thumb1

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »
Uggggggh no, I would not have done that atrosity! 

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 06:40:12 PM »
Looks pretty good for a Frankengun.How does it shoot?
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 07:18:50 PM »
Just needs some Romanian, East German, NVA and North Korean bits to round it out nicely....   Why can't all these parts just get along... rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 11:38:21 PM »
Nice rig. I've got a few of those abominations. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 12:47:51 PM »
Looks pretty good for a Frankengun.How does it shoot?

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, I need to do a bit of work on the bolt...it needs a bit of headspace relief, it locks fine...but there is absolutely zero jiggle at all. It's also painted black, which might even be enough relief once I strip it off. It has an interesting diamond 'stamp' in the paint, or lack of paint where it is, I gotta photograph that first.   It's also been snowing/melting/raining/snowing/melting...the road up the mountain to the shooting spot is a bit impassable. I may have to wait for spring.

This whole thing was unplanned, I found a BIN trigger group for around $50 shipped, and I just couldn't help myself but to call up Sarco to get started. The barreled receiver received was in about the same condition as GG's last batch....it pretty much used up what was left of my Frontier Big45 pad!  Ultimately I stripped it to the white because the micropitting was so deep, it was flash rusting. Even after rebluing, it still looks like it's filthy.  Initially, I put it in a Russian stock, but haven't had luck finding a matching handguard...and the cheese grater wasn't doing it for me. Then I opted for the Yugo...the extra LOP from the buttpad really helps me use irons better, as my bifocal contacts don't do what they ought.  GG happened to have a laminate HG that matches whatever color I picked to stain it some 8 years ago...a bit of shellac helped match them nicely.  My Canadian contact happened to have what he called a 50 bolt/carrier set...I have since found the same prefix on an unmolested 49 cover. I also picked up the op rod/spring, gas piston, and recoil spring from him. The bayonet I have had sitting around for years...it's quite pitted as well, and looks like it belongs with the rest of the metal....aside from the pristine tube and cover.... The cover seems to be late Chinese, perhaps off a commercial gun...the font is kinda tiny and unusual. That would not fit on ANY of my SKSs...I bought it for one, and then got frustrated and tried it on all of them. It pops on almost perfectly on this.  Same with the 20 round mag...I was so irritated with never getting it to work properly in anything, I was about to sell it to recoup all these new parts in part but the thing drops in just like a factory mag on this...whereas it bound up in everything else I tried it in.

Ultimately, it became a mission for building a gun that suits my needs, I dig the beefier stock and gaining the ability to use irons again.  I might continue to bastardize it if I can locate an early takedown pin...as I have a spare 49 cover that would make it even more confusing. Until then I will continue to look into potential covers from the nations GM listed.  rofl2

I probably will end up stripping the bluing from the cover and tube to get them to match the almost parkerized look the rest has now. The mag and trigger match the gun nicely as they are kinda matte. It's also nice to be able to use a Yugo sling...although it's off for the time being to allow the shellac to cure longer.

It's kinda fun not knowing what the heck you are gonna get from Sarco. Had this been a pinned spiker barreled receiver, this would have been a totally different end result. I have so many unused bubba parts I had planned to possibly incorporate....instead I ended up with a semi traditional rat rod. :)