Author Topic: SKS Sporter - AK magazine modification and tuning  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Optimus140

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
SKS Sporter - AK magazine modification and tuning
« on: September 06, 2020, 03:30:11 PM »
I’ve been shooting my SKS Sporter a couple days at the range now. The AK magazines are kind of a bear to seat. I have two types of magazines. First style is a metal Korean mag, and the other is a polymer pmag. I can’t seat the pmag at all, and the metal Korean mags are tough to lock in. I have seen people talk about filing or dremeling the magazine lips, front locking lug, and rear locking lug to get a better fit. Does anyone have a best practice for AK mag modifications, or 2 cents to share? Is something wrong with my rifle or stock, or is this a pretty common issue?

Here are some pics of what my mag well and mags look like, for reference.

owenj492

Re: SKS Sporter - AK magazine modification and tuning
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »
Question: Prior to you switching stocks, did you have the same problem with the other stock?

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 04:29:28 PM »
It didn’t come with the factory stock, it had a tapco intrafuse with the standard SKS mag well. I already got rid of that stock, but I vaguely recall the mags were not easy to lock in that one, either. The pmags are new to me though, so it’s the first time I’m trying a polymer mag.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 07:09:40 PM »
maybe try some comi surplus mag (Polish German, Hungarian, etc). see how one of those fit. might have to sandpaper the opening for a better fit.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

owenj492

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 07:34:36 PM »
I just tried a few magazines on my 1992 Sporter barreled receiver (no trigger group installed) and noticed some of the cheaper Korean magazines (purchased from Primary Arms) don't line up flush, some of my older used mags (manufacture unknown) seated nice and flush, Magpul magazine seated fine also, had a 5 round magazine that is wobbly though, so you might want to try other manufactures also, and then I tried the same random magazines in another 1993 Sporter with LuckyShotWoodStock and had to fight to get the Koreans in (and out), Magpul and the unknown magazines no problem.

owenj492

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 07:46:13 PM »
So I'm looking at the mag cut-out on your stock, does it seem that the cut-out is restricting the magazines? When I had LuckyShotWoodStock make my stock, I sent him the metal that is installed on the factory stocks, I had a extra set from a plastic stock purchase from gunbroker as yuo can see in the picture (and noticed how "open" it is compared to your stock)

owenj492

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 07:51:50 PM »

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 08:15:28 PM »
I think owenj492 has the right idea. You probably have to inlet the rear of your mag well in the stock. 
As far as magazines fitting in my experience, typically any steel mag will fit in the Sporter, SKS M and the SKS 30 since all seem to have about the same space machined in the receiver for the mag width with the narrowing of the well towards the front.  The only one that I have found that will take all AK mags, including the MAGPUL and the phenolic (aka bakelite) mags has been the SKS D made by Midwest Ordnance which has a full width machined in the mag well from front to back.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 10:14:35 PM »
Thanks everyone. Owen, that’s a really great point you made with the photo; that does look like a pinch point where the mags could be binding. I’ll take a closer look tomorrow and probably end up lightly sanding off some material there. I’ll report back the results.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 11:30:11 AM »
Good catch Owen
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

owenj492

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 02:02:21 PM »
Thanks everyone, also you might have to trim here also:

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 05:17:20 PM »
Thanks everyone, also you might have to trim here also:

It does appear to be uneven.

owenj492

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 07:01:49 PM »
It is a hit or miss with LuckyShotWoodStocks, my first order (a arsenal 26, 8 million serial number) I had to dremel the handguard to fit, and a little in the magazine area also, my second one I only had to dremel the handguard to fit since I mailed him the metal for the magazine area on my 1992 Sporter, reading some of his reviews also there was some issues with fitting and having to dremel, some of the other reviews stated no problems with fitting.

Online Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 04:20:47 PM »
Yeah,mine went together great right from Luckyshot.No issues.I also sent Rick the magwell from my '93 Sporter.

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »
I inlet the mag well of the wood stock. The metal mags fit pretty decent now without modifications, but I had to file and sand quite a bit of material off the polymer pmags and locking lugs to get one to fit, which I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do. Probably just use the metal mags for now. Maybe save the pmags for when I get an AK, eventually.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 07:54:44 PM »
I inlet the mag well of the wood stock. The metal mags fit pretty decent now without modifications, but I had to file and sand quite a bit of material off the polymer pmags and locking lugs to get one to fit, which I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do. Probably just use the metal mags for now. Maybe save the pmags for when I get an AK, eventually.

I would suggest laying your hands on a euro surplus military mag  as well.
I've heard rumors about KCI's earlier stuff being a bit problematic. I've heard nothing about the current run.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

owenj492

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 08:23:16 PM »

Here are two sites I go to everyday to find good deals:

https://gun.deals/today

https://gun-deals.com

Keep an eye out and also check the sites several times daily if you can.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 10:03:24 AM »
Owen, have you seen and if so, what do you think about Palmetto’s AK rifles?

owenj492

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 01:51:53 PM »

I'm not an expert on that particular rifle but I have seen great reviews online, I would buy one if the current situation wasn't in full swing.....also have to keep in mind that this might have PSA proprietary parts but I can't verify that at the moment, plus I don't even own a AK-47, just Chinese military, Yugoslavian and Chinese commercial SKS rifles is all the 7.62x39 caliber I currently own.

I do have experience with PSA in the past with SLOW shipping, not sure if that is still an issue, also have read on gun.deals that users have reported that PSA is not responding to phone calls and email, again take that with caution as you might know some people just like to "troll"

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 02:25:20 PM »

Are you referring to the PSA flavors of the AK-47 or are you asking about the PSA KS-47 which is an AR platform hybrid that is chambered in 7.62x39 and uses AK mags? The KS-47 is getting rave reviews.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.