Author Topic: Classic type 56  (Read 3571 times)

Offline ffjoey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
Classic type 56
« on: May 27, 2020, 08:56:06 AM »

Purchased a Chinese SKS from Classic a couple weeks ago. I paid the extra for matching numbers and the best of 10. Overall, it’s a pretty nice rifle. Stock matches and is in the expected rough shape but the bluing is pretty nice. I’m thinking of ordering another. Probably won’t pay for the upgrades again if I do though.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Classic type 56
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 08:59:28 AM »
nice one, i would be happy too.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:08:16 AM »
Well done! You did a great job of cleaning it up.

Offline ffjoey

• Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:09:20 AM »
Thank you, yeah I was pretty pleased when I got it cleaned up. Would love to know for sure everywhere this rifle has been in its 50+ years.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:41:28 AM »
Thank you, yeah I was pretty pleased when I got it cleaned up. Would love to know for sure everywhere this rifle has been in its 50+ years. 

That would be fun to know.  If you order another, better hurry as the prices are going up again! Check the site....

Offline ffjoey

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 12:58:44 PM »

That would be fun to know.  If you order another, better hurry as the prices are going up again! Check the site....

Hmm, looks like I have a couple days to decide. I honestly have about 30-40 long guns ranging from AKs, ARs, long range precision rifles, now an SKS or two. I really probably don’t need to buy another but it’s so much fun cleaning them up and seeing what you get. I built AKs for a number of years and by far my favorite kits were the ones that came out of the Balkans. Even had a Yugoslav kit that had old dried blood inside the receiver stubs and oxidation on the outside from apparent exposure to blood. I have some really wild trench art on some buttstocks and hand guards as well. Decisions, decisions.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 01:29:48 PM »

Hmm, looks like I have a couple days to decide. I honestly have about 30-40 long guns ranging from AKs, ARs, long range precision rifles, now an SKS or two. I really probably don’t need to buy another but it’s so much fun cleaning them up and seeing what you get. I built AKs for a number of years and by far my favorite kits were the ones that came out of the Balkans. Even had a Yugoslav kit that had old dried blood inside the receiver stubs and oxidation on the outside from apparent exposure to blood. I have some really wild trench art on some buttstocks and hand guards as well. Decisions, decisions.

The way prices are trending now, you can order a few more and enjoy cleaning them up - then sell them for a profit!

Offline ffjoey

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »

The way prices are trending now, you can order a few more and enjoy cleaning them up - then sell them for a profit!

Your opinion is hard to argue with, which is why I already have too many rifles.  :)

Offline Ghost51xxx

• Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »
Bluing is super nice and the stock don't look bad at all. Nice score! She's a keeper.

Offline ffjoey

• Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
Bluing is super nice and the stock don't look bad at all. Nice score! She's a keeper.
I agree, stock is not bad considering and the bluing is really really good. Probably close to 90%

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 05:03:28 PM »
Looks like a nice '67 to me!  thumb1

Offline ffjoey

• Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 05:11:25 PM »

Some shots preclean up in its full cosmo glory. It is a much nicer rifle than I expected

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 05:28:57 PM »
That's a good one!

Offline ffjoey

• Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 05:30:00 PM »
There is one kind of odd thing about the rifle, bluing is nice and intact everywhere except the buttplate. The plate almost has all of the bluing rubbed off. I have no idea what would cause that other than for some reason the plate is not original to this rifle. Of course, why would you put a worn plate on what appears to be a fairly lightly used rifle? Strange

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 06:26:11 PM »
There is one kind of odd thing about the rifle, bluing is nice and intact everywhere except the buttplate. The plate almost has all of the bluing rubbed off. I have no idea what would cause that other than for some reason the plate is not original to this rifle. Of course, why would you put a worn plate on what appears to be a fairly lightly used rifle? Strange

Maybe this gun was lazy and sat on its butt most of its life. 

Offline ffjoey

• Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
Lol, maybe

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 07:10:30 PM »
  :o my butt-plate is the same. maybe just common to this last batch classic got in.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline ffjoey

• Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 07:16:42 PM »
  :o my butt-plate is the same. maybe just common to this last batch classic got in.
Interesting

Offline JorgeSKS

• Live free or die trying!
  • Cadet
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 07:25:47 PM »
ffjoey, if I may... Would you, could you please take Pictures of that beautiful SKS sitting out in the sunlight? Indoor pictures just don’t it justice. Thanks.

Offline ffjoey

• Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 07:31:30 PM »
Yes, I will do my best to get some better pics tomorrow, weather depending.